Des - David Tennant playing the infamous Scottish serial killer, Dennis Nilsen

Ralstonite

dennisnilsendavidtennentmontage231119.thumb.jpg.1a806bbcbbc636311989f8d318de616b.jpg

A friend of my mum's met Mr Nilsen in the Job Centre he worked at, and remembers him because he was Scottish like her.

One has to wonder to what extent the homophobia he experienced contributed to his murderous actions, in the drama he claims he left the police because of 'homophobia'. I did wonder whether that was even a term used in the early eighties, or whether it was poetic licence, though.

26 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Getting forced out for masturbating in the morgue isn't homophobia tbqhwy.

Indeed. However, correct me if I am wrong, but he claimed he left because of 'homophobia'. In the 1980s homophobia was rife, and gay bashing was something that happened. I believe Margaret Thatcher even considered re-criminalising it, so I'd imagine Nilsen experienced it.

Could it not be that when he was drunk, and therefore less inhibited, he took out his rage, because of the guilt and shame he felt, on the men he murdered? Aye, he obviously wasn't right, but if he was growing up in contemporary society where he could express his sexuality, I have to wonder whether he might not have done what he did. The necrophilia could also be part of it, he didn't want another man to see him act on his homosexual urges, so he killed them first. Just a thought.

1 hour ago, Ralstonite said:

dennisnilsendavidtennentmontage231119.thumb.jpg.1a806bbcbbc636311989f8d318de616b.jpg

A friend of my mum's met Mr Nilsen in the Job Centre he worked at, and remembers him because he was Scottish like her.

One has to wonder to what extent the homophobia he experienced contributed to his murderous actions, in the drama he claims he left the police because of 'homophobia'. I did wonder whether that was even a term used in the early eighties, or whether it was poetic licence, though.

Not sure about contributing to his actions but a former prison psychiatrist said that the reason he didn’t get caught was down to homophobia in the police. A young guy escaped and phoned 999 only for them to turn up and ignore it because they assumed it was a gay relationship. They only investigated him when a drains company found stuff.

Was on daytime tv today, tenant looks identical. Quite spooky.

25 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Not sure about contributing to his actions but a former prison psychiatrist said that the reason he didn’t get caught was down to homophobia in the police. A young guy escaped and phoned 999 only for them to turn up and ignore it because they assumed it was a gay relationship. They only investigated him when a drains company found stuff.

Aye, that was featured in the drama. I believe the Yorkshire Ripper's crimes weren't a priority as he was 'only' killing prostitutes. The police also battered the miners in the '80s, too. A totally different era.

7 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Good thing that things have moved on so much that this could never happen these days.

Who is Stephen Port, who were the victims of the Grindr serial killer and  has he launched an appeal?lol, exactly this happened but worse.

24 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Watched it last night and Tennant was brilliant, pretty much nailed the quiet, creepy demeanor of Nilsen.

Agreed - Tennant was superb.

From what I've seen and heard today half of the country claims to have met or known Nilsen at some point in time.

I think Tennant manages to find a 'human' (Not the correct choice of word) side in his portrayal of Nilsen which is some fucking feat when you read about him in depth.

I know a lot on here aren't fans of Limmy, but he summed it up for me:

Edited by Ludo*1

12 hours ago, doulikefish said:

My mum told me years ago he was a really quiet and shy at school as she was at scholl with him in primary class years before he moved out to the country when his mum remarried 

It's always interesting hearing stuff like this. I don't think people are born this way. 

5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Looking forward to watching this.

Tennant is an excellent actor, so will be interesting to see his portrayal of Nilsen.

Amazing the job the make up teams do of turning actors into those they play. Dominic West was similarly eerie when he player Fred West.

Tennant is a fellow Ralstonite. I don't know him personally, but his da was the local vicar and many people around here know him well. Apparently when he was about seven years old he got up and spoke in front of the congregation at the church and folk said he was very confident and precocious.

Indeed. However, correct me if I am wrong, but he claimed he left because of 'homophobia'. In the 1980s homophobia was rife, and gay bashing was something that happened. I believe Margaret Thatcher even considered re-criminalising it, so I'd imagine Nilsen experienced it.
Could it not be that when he was drunk, and therefore less inhibited, he took out his rage, because of the guilt and shame he felt, on the men he murdered? Aye, he obviously wasn't right, but if he was growing up in contemporary society where he could express his sexuality, I have to wonder whether he might not have done what he did. The necrophilia could also be part of it, he didn't want another man to see him act on his homosexual urges, so he killed them first. Just a thought.
It was rife then, certainly if you believe auld arseholes that frequent the pubs in Perth. I remember well talking to one guy who is probably in his 60's now. He revelled in telling his stories about his pals and him heading through to Edinburgh in the late 1970's and early 1980's for a bit of casual 'poof bashing'. His words, not mine.

He apparently regrets it now though, so guess that is alright then [emoji849]