Serbia V Scotland - EURO 2020 Playoff Final ( Thursday 12th November)

greenockraver

2 hours ago, UAE1929 said:

Work with a lad originally from Dumfries, his family are quite close with Dykes family. He had said previously the main reason that Dykes chose Scotland over Australia was due to his Covid outbreak. Whilst the Australian FA didn't get in touch, The SFA and Steve Clarke both reached out to see if there was anything they could do. Seemingly this swayed his decision. 

I can imagine Clarke being that type of person, I know he's made out to be the dour Scotsman, but I think he genuinely cares about his players. 

Pretty sure this will be exaggeration. Not saying Clarke didnt keep in touch, he certainly did. But Lyndon was living in Dumfries, not sure quite what anybody would seriously expect the Australian FA to do about his Covid experience. 

I imagine Clarke played a good game with getting him on board and probably made much more of a recruitment effort than his Australian equivalent. I doubt it relates to covid particularly though.

Scotland were great last night but the best thing for me was they weren't playing 'out of their skin'. That was a solid performance where everyone played to their strengths. Put that team under any significant pressure and the response would be phenomenal. 

I know that the qualifying routes have changed over the last 22 years but I can't help feeling that almost all of those campaigns, had they been successful would have seen us sneak into finals, with the accompanying feeling that it was enough just to get there. 

The consistency shown in this campaign since Steve Clarke arrived has given me real confidence. Made me feel that we are a team that can compete regardless of the opposition or the occasion. 

We might not win the Euros but it won't be because of some freak result.

This is a new type of Scotland. 

Strachan on sportsound earlier:

David Currie: "Watching Lyndon Dykes, did it make you wish you had him to call upon during your time in charge?"
Strachan: "No, because we had Chris Martin."

Sums him up. Can't possibly be wrong about anything, ever. (Martin was useful, but only a stubborn p***k would answer no to that question).

18 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Pretty sure this will be exaggeration. Not saying Clarke didnt keep in touch, he certainly did. But Lyndon was living in Dumfries, not sure quite what anybody would seriously expect the Australian FA to do about his Covid experience. 

I imagine Clarke played a good game with getting him on board and probably made much more of a recruitment effort than his Australian equivalent. I doubt it relates to covid particularly though.

Still double knighthood for Mr Clarke is required

8 minutes ago, Nae Union said:

Scotland were great last night but the best thing for me was they weren't playing 'out of their skin'. That was a solid performance where everyone played to their strengths. Put that team under any significant pressure and the response would be phenomenal. 

I know that the qualifying routes have changed over the last 22 years but I can't help feeling that almost all of those campaigns, had they been successful would have seen us sneak into finals, with the accompanying feeling that it was enough just to get there. 

The consistency shown in this campaign since Steve Clarke arrived has given me real confidence. Made me feel that we are a team that can compete regardless of the opposition or the occasion. 

We might not win the Euros but it won't be because of some freak result.

This is a new type of Scotland. 

We need to keep improving !

19 hours ago, GordonS said:

Went back to the start of this thread for the lols, and this reminded me of something. One of the highlights of the game for me was Milinkovic-Savic hoofing a wildly slashed clearance over his own box, from one side to the other, at approximately the altitude of the International Space Station.

His head was gone and it wasn't a surprise when he was hooked.

I was right about the #juggernaut though 

4 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Strachan on sportsound earlier:

David Currie: "Watching Lyndon Dykes, did it make you wish you had him to call upon during your time in charge?"
Strachan: "No, because we had Chris Martin."

Sums him up. Can't possibly be wrong about anything, ever. (Martin was useful, but only a stubborn p***k would answer no to that question).

Only a p***k would have asked such a hypothetical question in the first place.

I haven’t seen it mentioned in great detail but I think it’s worth calling out the solution to the Tierney/Robertson issue and also just the benefit to Tierney in general.

I think Tierney got overtaken by Robertson career wise just as KT was getting injured. Then it was as if we all (including the managers) just thought we could fire him and Robertson into the team in any kind of manner as long as they were there.

Now though they really complement each other and I think Tierney has been able to play consistently well in a quieter way then before. As we saw last night though with his wee burst into the box he will be a dangerous weapon to have at times still on the attack. 

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Romania (a) 1-1 (Euro 76 Qualifying)
Denmark (a) 1-0 Euro 76 Qualifying)
Denmark (h) 3-1 Euro 76 Qualifying)
Romania (h) 1-1 Euro 76 Qualifying)
Switzerland (h) 1-0 (Friendly)
Wales (h) 3-1 (British Championship)
N Ireland (h) 3-0 (British Championship)
England (h) 2-1 (British Championship)
Finland (h) 6-0 (Friendly)

From June '75 to Sept '76.

Well , it has to be said ...

2 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Baccara should be coaxed out of retirement to record a Scotland song for the tournament..

Think they split up but still perform in two different groups both called Baccara. Said this on one of those old Top of the Pops they sometimes show on BBC 4.