Serbia V Scotland - EURO 2020 Playoff Final ( Thursday 12th November)

greenockraver

44 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

What if mcgregor was 4ft 2?

He'd be too small eh, so there's a height that is too small for you (dinosaur). There's a reason 99.9% of teams have 2 centre backs and gk over 6ft. Its not because their dinosaurs. Its because its advantageous.

The odd wee guy playing centre back proves nothing. 

But he isn't 4 ft 2. And neither are any of our centre back options so I'm not sure why you keep using 4 ft 2 as an example to support your argument.

There is no example where we have a choice between two players that have a 2 foot height difference hahaha.

I don't disagree that it can be advantageous to have bigger and more commanding centre backs but only if their ability is far greater than that of someone that may not be as big as them.

Clarke may well opt to go down this route, I'm simply disagreeing with your theory that someone who is marginally taller is automatically a better choice.

9 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

There is a reason almost every team has two big, strong centre backs. No one is playing a back 4 with just one big centre back and a midfielder unless it is Pep Guardiola.

McTominay is 6'4

I reckon he can look after himself!

690.jpg

Just now, Stellaboz said:

Name any footballer ever under 5ft, your argument is nonsense. 

Without realising it, you have actually proved my point.

Its the hipster thing to say "centre backs don't have to be tall" but in a practical sense. Its rubbish

Don't argue with me, go to your own team and look at your tall centre backs. Then write a letter to the club telling them their wrong. 

Just now, Aufc said:

I am not even going to answer this pish emoji23.png

Because you know any answer you give you would make you look foolish. The reason for this is its advantageous to be taller in certain positions on the pitch. 

A fact backed up be teams all over the world. Not some Internet hipsters pointing to the few anomalies.

2 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Because you know any answer you give you would make you look foolish. The reason for this is its advantageous to be taller in certain positions on the pitch. 

A fact backed up be teams all over the world. Not some Internet hipsters pointing to the few anomalies.

Nobody is really arguing against the point that it's advantageous to be taller mate, I think folk are saying it's only advantageous if the players are of a similar level of ability.

I'd sooner have prime Fabio Cannavaro in my defence at 5 ft 9 compared to Scott McKenna as an example.

6 minutes ago, AJF said:

I'd sooner have prime Fabio Cannavaro in my defence at 5 ft 9 compared to Scott McKenna as an example.

Or 5'9 Franco Baresi ahead of [enter shit tall Scottish defender here]

Edited by ArabFC

Just now, AJF said:

Just now, ArabFC said:

Or 5'9 Franco Baresi ahead of [enter shit tall Scottish defender here]

How many more of them do you have? 4? 5?

Not many, their examples of excellent footballers who despite lacking stature made it as top centre backs. There's not many examples.

Just now, BingMcCrosby said:

Marshall 

McTominay   Gallahger   Tierney

O'Donnell      Jack         McGregor      Robertson

Christie        McGinn

Dykes

Pretty convinced this will be the starting line up, McLean and Jack is a bit of a toss up and he may go with Armstrong instead of Christie but I doubt it, rest picks itself.

Just now, AJF said:

Nobody is really arguing against the point that it's advantageous to be taller mate, I think folk are saying it's only advantageous if the players are of a similar level of ability.

See the thing is they actually are. Theres plenty of people saying that.

Buts its become this throw away comment that its not necessary to be tall. Where in fact it really really is.

In a back 3 its slightly different and not as much of q requirement as in a 2. Depends on how your playing it, but in most back 3s the centre guy has a requirement to be winning the ball in the air. So he would have to be big enough. The outside 2 can get away with it to a degree.

4 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

See the thing is they actually are. Theres plenty of people saying that.

Buts its become this throw away comment that its not necessary to be tall. Where in fact it really really is.

In a back 3 its slightly different and not as much of q requirement as in a 2. Depends on how your playing it, but in most back 3s the centre guy has a requirement to be winning the ball in the air. So he would have to be big enough. The outside 2 can get away with it to a degree.

I've not seen anyone here argue against the fact that it's advantageous to have bigger centre backs. The debate stemmed from a comment that suggested we couldn't play McTominay and Tierney in the same defence due to their perceived lack of height/strength.

What a pile of shite haha. This is why scotland fail because from a young age kids are told they are too small. Kids who are big and quick are automatically seen to be better however all that happens is their lack of technical skills eventually catch up on them as they grow older and the so called “smaller” kids start to grow.

The fact someone suggested mctominay and tiernay should not be starting due to their height shows what we are up against. Looking past the fact mctominay is awfy tall, they both play for clubs where sports science plays a huge part whereby they will be strong as f**k.

Is height an advantage? Not really. If that was the case then kevin james would have been playing for barcelona

Just now, Aufc said:

What a pile of shite haha. This is why scotland fail because from a young age kids are told they are too small. Kids who are big and quick are automatically seen to be better however all that happens is their lack of technical skills eventually catch up on them as they grow older and the so called “smaller” kids start to grow.

The fact someone suggested mctominay and tiernay should not be starting due to their height shows what we are up against. Looking past the fact mctominay is awfy tall, they both play for clubs where sports science plays a huge part whereby they will be strong as f**k.

Is height an advantage? Not really. If that was the case then kevin james would have been playing for barcelona

Haha indeed, you will need to add in all the top international teams in your list of failures. Germany, France, Italy, Brazil, Argentina. Their all rocking big centre backs.

Kevin James ?

Guest bernardblack
Haha indeed, you will need to add in all the top international teams in your list of failures. Germany, France, Italy, Brazil, Argentina. Their all rocking big centre backs.
Kevin James ?

I think Kevin James was the lanky boy who was at Falkirk?

Just now, AJF said:

I've not seen anyone here argue against the fact that it's advantageous to have bigger centre backs. The debate stemmed from a comment that suggested we couldn't play McTominay and Tierney in the same defence due to their perceived lack of height/strength.

Look 2 posts down, for an example of someone saying height is not an advantage at centre back.

Thats who I'm disagreeing with, not you.