Aberdeen v Celtic

Delighted to have been so completely wrong. That was like the first few seasons under McInnes, where we'd regularly cause Celtic all sorts of problems (even in games where we came up short) by being brave on the ball and aggressive in our approach. A million times better the the usual passive, try not to get beat shite.
I watched Mcinnes' pre match presser on Friday and his tone had definitely changed from previous seasons. He clearly fancies this team to do something and it showed in our approach yesterday.

Have to say in defence of McInnes, the 2-1 loss in February was a good performance by us, just came up short and weirdly the first 45 of a 3-0 game where Celtic won the league at Pittodrie, we played them off the park, if only that huddy James Wilson had taken his chances, we'd have been 3 up before Celtic scored.

7 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Have to say in defence of McInnes, the 2-1 loss in February was a good performance by us, just came up short and weirdly the first 45 of a 3-0 game where Celtic won the league at Pittodrie, we played them off the park, if only that huddy James Wilson had taken his chances, we'd have been 3 up before Celtic scored.

We did play well in Feb but more in the way of a fairly rubbish team putting up a decent fight against a good one. Yesterday was different.

16 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Said after the Ferencvaros game the writing was on the wall and we should take the opportunity to replace him then and I was quickly rounded on by the Lenny fanboys on here. 

i remember Daila commenting when he took over about how unfit the team were and how that would be one of the first things he would address. All we have heard this season is this player isn’t fit or that one isn’t fit. It’s no coincidence. 

We are now at a point in the season where our next 3 matches aren’t in the league, it’s a perfect opportunity for someone to come in and change things. It’s almost a free hit for them.

His comments about refs at the end I don’t get. All of the penalties were penalties, you can’t argue with it and MacGregor probably should have seen red for the penalty for a 2nd yellow so to lobby criticism at the ref deflecting from the fact our poor defensive shape caused all 3 goals is laughable.

I also watched the Ferencvaros game and thought bad bad bad.

Lennon made a crucial error to not play Christie as a number 10 that night.

Also the goalie is like a man down. I wouldn't like to hazard a guess how many better keepers there are in Scotland than Barkas but it's easily 15-20. Aberdeen have either 2 or 3 keeprs superior to Barkas. Let's not even speak about how bad Duffy, Ajeti, Klimala, Laxalt. it's a disaster.

I was confident going in to the game and I agree with the comment that the first half was played on our terms. 

The 3 injuries and 3 enforced subs opened up the game and although I wouldn't be sure who would have won if that hadn't happened (it would have been a completely different game as we would have just defended deeper and deeper and deeper) it's an absolute certainty there would not have been six goals.

Lots to be encouraged about. McInnes spoke before the Hamilton game about working on the attacking phase and putting more balls in to the 18 yard box. It's worked great with 7 goals since then but 5 goals conceeded so it's back to a week of working on the defensive shape, pressing, closing down and when to pass a man on to someone else (if we are not going back to our crazy 9 man markers plan).

Celtic.

I thought Lennon made a huge call dropping Barkas and I don't see any credit being given for that. I was devastated pre match as he is not a goalkeeper fit to grace our league. It certainly got Celtic a point yesterday.

Aberdeen had five shots on target so that would have been five goals.

I dont' think he'll be brave enough to drop Duffy and he'll hope he just comes out of his poor spell before too long.

Edited by d31

29 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

We did play well in Feb but more in the way of a fairly rubbish team putting up a decent fight against a good one. Yesterday was different.

I'd agree with this. We've had a few games (particularly against Rangers) in the last couple of seasons where we've come out with a bit of credit by showing a bit of grit and battling hard, without actully doing much with the ball.

Yesterday we looked properly dangerous going forward in a way we haven't done for about 4 years. At least not against anyone good.

Edited by Carl Cort's Hamstring

11 minutes ago, d31 said:

I thought Lennon made a huge call dropping Barkas and I don't see any credit being given for that. I was devastated pre match as he is not a goalkeeper fit to grace our league. It certainly got Celtic a point yesterday.

Thought the Greek goalie didn't play because thon thug Duffy crocked him at the end of the Milan game ? 

Also, I see Scott Bain is still utter shite.  Why are there so many pish goalkeepers in the top 2 leagues?  There's some utter clown shoe keepers in the Championship too, all at full time clubs.

20 minutes ago, d31 said:

I was confident going in to the game and I agree with the comment that the first half was played on our terms. 

The 3 injuries and 3 enforced subs opened up the game and although I wouldn't be sure who would have won if that hadn't happened (it would have been a completely different game as we would have just defended deeper and deeper and deeper) it's an absolute certainty there would not have been six goals.

Lots to be encouraged about. McInnes spoke before the Hamilton game about working on the attacking phase and putting more balls in to the 18 yard box. It's worked great with 7 goals since then but 5 goals conceeded so it's back to a week of working on the defensive shape, pressing, closing down and when to pass a man on to someone else (if we are not going back to our crazy 9 man markers plan).

Celtic.

Aberdeen had five shots on target so that would have been five goals.

I dont' think he'll be brave enough to drop Duffy and he'll hope he just comes out of his poor spell before too long.

That’s because Barkas was injured he wasn’t dropped

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Skimming this thread was a good laugh. A Celtic fan calling criticism of a referee absolutely nauseating  was a personal highlight :lol:

On the game, gutted not to win in the end but so pleased with what we have this season. I really wanted to see how we'd do yesterday because I've got a lot of belief in this team. Particularly I wanted to see the character of the team and what a response.

Mcgeouch injury, the first equaliser, Edmondson and Watkins getting injured, the 2 goals in two minutes to go behind were all points in the match that previous Aberdeen teams might melt and it just didn't happen (ok the 2 goals in 2 minutes was a bit of a melt in itself...).

It will be interesting to see what we do on Sunday. The first half was played on Mcinnes' terms yesterday, albeit we didn't do enough with the ball when we had it. The second half suited Celtic more but we showed that we can really hurt them on the counter when the game opens up.

I heard Lennon say we didn't trouble them all day and they should have won comfortably. A bizarre comment but saying that, I really hope he believes it.

I aim to entertain 8) I was aware of the irony of this being a Celtic fan but as I have said before on here I post on PnB rather than club forums to get away from the paranoia bias but tbh theres plenty of that pish on here too. They however don't see the irony of going on about vhictim mentality when its the other way though. 

24 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

That’s because Barkas was injured he wasn’t dropped

He might be injured but I don't buy it for one second.

Are you telling me there is a chance he could play at Hampden? Tell me there is a chance?

16 minutes ago, d31 said:

He might be injured but I don't buy it for one second.

Are you telling me there is a chance he could play at Hampden? Tell me there is a chance?

He wasn’t even on the bench yesterday. He’s definitely injured. Not bothered in the slightest who’s in goal for Celtic next Sunday, unless they sign Fraser Forster on an emergency loan.

2 hours ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

I'd agree with this. We've had a few games (particularly against Rangers) in the last couple of seasons where we've come out with a bit of credit by showing a bit of grit and battling hard, without actully doing much with the ball.

Yesterday we looked properly dangerous going forward in a way we haven't done for about 4 years. At least not against anyone good.

The games against Rangers that involved us doing most of the work with the ball showed how ruthless they are on the counter and why they have the success they do in Europe.

Another positive for Celtic yesterday was Christie. You see the passion in the celebration when he thinks he's scored the winner. He's on a different level to the likes of Ntcham.

Aye, those crosses to no one that kept going out for a goal kick was certainly a positive....for Us !

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, d31 said:

Another positive for Celtic yesterday was Christie. You see the passion in the celebration when he thinks he's scored the winner. He's on a different level to the likes of Ntcham.

The biggest question surrounding Christie is if he's a bigger fucking d1ck than his auld man. 

The jury's out on that one. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

Hearing a lot of pundits saying that celtic dominated the first half. I find that mental.
I thought aberdeen particularly first half done an excellent job of pressing from the front without creating too much but celtic created not much either.

Second half much more open:

Ferguson seems to be playing like a man that's pissed off that McCrorie has been getting all the plaudits and attention.

I'm normally, if pressed into a prediction to put Scott Wrights future as a superstar for a bottom 6/championship side, but when he came on yesterday he reminded me of 2015/16 Johnny Hayes.

That Griffiths goal was class, keep that up and he could well save Lennons job the way he saved Deilas.

Very happily surprised that when Cosgrove came onto the park we were able to avoid turning back to lump it up to big Sam tactics.
Showed some promise if he gets a bit sharper.