22 hours ago, bernardblack said:

My windows are five years old and already problems with them.
Condensation being the main issue and hoping a dehumidifier will help

I used to get condensation all the time on the inside of my car windows. After some extensive research I found that one of the best solutions was to put some cat litter in a pair of old tights and keep it under your seat. Haven't had any condensation since. Maybe fire a couple of trays of cat litter under your windows and see what happens.

On 14/12/2020 at 14:01, bernardblack said:

My windows are five years old and already problems with them.
Condensation being the main issue and hoping a dehumidifier will help

I bought a Meaco dehumidifier. 12 litre version. It's mad how much water it takes out the environment. Very quiet too. It's not too cheap but a small price to pay to keep your house dry.

I used to get condensation all the time on the inside of my car windows. After some extensive research I found that one of the best solutions was to put some cat litter in a pair of old tights and keep it under your seat. Haven't had any condensation since. Maybe fire a couple of trays of cat litter under your windows and see what happens.
Honest officer it's just some cat litter stuffed into a pair of the wife's tights !

Guest bernardblack
I bought a Meaco dehumidifier. 12 litre version. It's mad how much water it takes out the environment. Very quiet too. It's not too cheap but a small price to pay to keep your house dry.

Thanks. We got a 4 litre one and emptying it 2/3 times a day. Can’t believe how much water it collects

11 hours ago, bernardblack said:

Thanks. We got a 4 litre one and emptying it 2/3 times a day. Can’t believe how much water it collects

We lived in Hong Kong for a few years and needed dehumidifiers in all the main rooms during the humid season (March - October) - each unit had 10L capacity and was always full when we got home at night.  So. at least 20-30L a day on a bad day.

• 2 years later...
14 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I've been given different quotes for a complete window refit.  £3k difference, but the more expensive one is from a glazer that manufactures their own windows. Is it worth spending the extra?

I had two doors and seven windows put in in Dec and was £6.5k. No idea if you're worth using someone who manufactures own tbh. I used a local company. Avoid weatherseal. 

18 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I've been given different quotes for a complete window refit.  £3k difference, but the more expensive one is from a glazer that manufactures their own windows. Is it worth spending the extra?

What's the total cost? If it was say 15% extra I'd be tempted to pay it for the simplicity of dealing with them, for flexibility or if something goes wrong.

19 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

What's the total cost? If it was say 15% extra I'd be tempted to pay it for the simplicity of dealing with them, for flexibility or if something goes wrong.

£7.5k vs 10.5k

That's for a 3m front room window plus another seven smaller ones.

Eta: CR Smith quoted £14.5, downgraded to 13.5, but let's not go there.

Edited by Hedgecutter

2 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

£7.5k vs 10.5k

That's for a 3m front room window plus another seven smaller ones.

I'd be seriously investigating both firms' reputations then, the 3k difference sounds a bit steep but the low offer could be from cowboys.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'd be seriously investigating both firms' reputations then, the 3k difference sounds a bit steep but the low offer could be from cowboys.

My initial thought also, but both (NE-based firms) have consistently high ratings >=4.8 ⭐ across Yell, FB etc.

S02E11-9LIYZ8iY-subtitled.jpg.740284293c93c9186c9abd8e3ddcbec5.jpg

Edited by Hedgecutter

12 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

My initial thought also, but both have consistently high ratings >=4.8 ⭐ across Yell, FB etc.

S02E11-9LIYZ8iY-subtitled.jpg.740284293c93c9186c9abd8e3ddcbec5.jpg

Fuckit, I'd go cheap and book a Caribbean holiday with the change. Maybe the manufacturing firm is snowed under with work/understaffed and are overcharging. Or maybe quote them the other offer and see if they'll come down half way first?

Edited by welshbairn

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Things to compare:

Warranty period…plus who responds, the installer or a manufacturers representative?.

Warranty terms…does it include labour?

Materials…frame material, glass thickness, filling gas between panes?

Size availability…the one making their own windows should be able to match your openings exactly, a COTS (commercial off the shelf) provider may have to adjust the openings to fit the windows, most often by undersizing the window and filling.

I had Advanced Group do mine last summer.  Was something like 6 triple glazed windows for 5k Inc fitting. Not had an issue. 

Spoiler

Bias context

Was single glazed when I bought it so to me they are the best windows that ever existed.