Brexit Transfers

5 hours ago, G51 said:

Our best players already transfer out of our league. Pretty much all of our best players do - you could argue the toss on whether McGregor is one of our best players (I would say he is) but he’d still be the exception rather than the rule. Robertson, Tierney, McGinn, Armstrong, Fraser are all in England (sure I’m forgetting loads but you get the point).

Sure. However, having a strong enough domestic league has allowed for the likes of Gallagher and O'Donnell to play well for the national team. Even a Considine type player can be drafted in as cover, safe in the knowledge that the Scottish Premiership is an adequate standard to select a player from for international level.

A decreased league standard will mean young Scottish players being bled into a less competitive league and therefore developing less swiftly. A decrease in league quality also makes a jump to a higher quality league harder for a player if they do earn a transfer out. So more chance of them failing once moving and repeated failures would see outside interest in Scottish league players cooling off. You'd see talented youngsters having to leave much younger as happens in Croatia. A Scott McKenna who could stay at Aberdeen until 23 would instead be off at 19 or 20.

There are already no African, Asian or Latin American players in Scottish football. EEA players now also being blocked could leave our domestic league with very few foreign players at all outside of Rangers and Celtic. This would definitely reduce standards but by how much or how little, it's impossible to predict.

Guest TheJTS98
2 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

A decreased league standard will mean young Scottish players being bled into a less competitive league

I think you're over-doing the 'drop in standard' bit. I just had a look at the line-ups for the three sides immediately behind the Old Firm at the moment from last weekend and if we take out non-UK and Irish players, it's not exactly a massive shift.

Perhaps lower down the table it's more of a thing to bring in players from abroad on short-term deals. But most of these lads are poor players who add little to the league. The odd good one aside.

I don't think our national team is suddenly going to suffer irreparable damage because Accies have to stop signing so many foreign players. Our best players will still leave and go to England, and the ones left behind will be playing in a league of broadly the same standard as now. Scott McKenna isn't still in Scotland because there are foreign players in the league. He's still in Scotland because he's not very good. Plenty of our players leave, and that will remain the case. Indeed, opportunities in England will increase for our players.

3 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

There are already no African, Asian or Latin American players in Scottish football. EEA players now also being blocked could leave our domestic league with very few foreign players at all outside of Rangers and Celtic. This would definitely reduce standards but by how much or how little, it's impossible to predict.

Just off the top of my head Ambrose is Nigerian, Morelos is Colombian and the rarely spotted hernandez is Venezuelan. Can't think of any Asians at the moment right enough. 

Edited by coprolite
Biton and Marciano

1 hour ago, TheJTS98 said:

I think you're over-doing the 'drop in standard' bit. I just had a look at the line-ups for the three sides immediately behind the Old Firm at the moment from last weekend and if we take out non-UK and Irish players, it's not exactly a massive shift.

Perhaps lower down the table it's more of a thing to bring in players from abroad on short-term deals. But most of these lads are poor players who add little to the league. The odd good one aside.

I don't think our national team is suddenly going to suffer irreparable damage because Accies have to stop signing so many foreign players. Our best players will still leave and go to England, and the ones left behind will be playing in a league of broadly the same standard as now. Scott McKenna isn't still in Scotland because there are foreign players in the league. He's still in Scotland because he's not very good. Plenty of our players leave, and that will remain the case. Indeed, opportunities in England will increase for our players.

Probably my fault for unclear wording but I don't expect a massive quality reduction. There will be one but hopefully only slight. 

40 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Just off the top of my head Ambrose is Nigerian, Morelos is Colombian and the rarely spotted hernandez is Venezuelan. Can't think of any Asians at the moment right enough. 

Ambrose was brought in by Celtic. His current club Livingston would not have been able to bring in a Nigerian. Morelos was signed by Rangers. Celtic and Rangers will not be affected by the changes because as with immigration in all industries, the elite have no problem. Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen and maybe Dundee Utd could have the finances to occasionally sign players who fit the work permit criteria, as Aberdeen have managed with Hernandez. Yet for the lower half of the Scottish Prem clubs, if EEA players must meet the same criteria as non-EEA players must meet currently, then signing foreign players will no longer be an option for them.

1 hour ago, FreedomFarter said:

Ambrose was brought in by Celtic. His current club Livingston would not have been able to bring in a Nigerian. Morelos was signed by Rangers. Celtic and Rangers will not be affected by the changes because as with immigration in all industries, the elite have no problem. Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen and maybe Dundee Utd could have the finances to occasionally sign players who fit the work permit criteria, as Aberdeen have managed with Hernandez. Yet for the lower half of the Scottish Prem clubs, if EEA players must meet the same criteria as non-EEA players must meet currently, then signing foreign players will no longer be an option for them.

Possibly, criteria might change, but that's not the point i was making. My point was that you were dribbling shite. 

22 hours ago, ahemps said:

How is Brexit going to affect Scottish football in terms of signing players?

I have heard pundits discussing the impact of Brexit and things like gaining work permits will affect lower league clubs in England (unlikely to affect the premier leagues as they sign mostly internationals and pay big money which should meet the expected requirements). 

Will this have a negative affect on signing foreign players or is it unlikely to make a difference up here? 

The most interesting one to me will be if the Bosman rule will still apply as it was originally an ECJ ruling.

22 minutes ago, EpicMike said:

The most interesting one to me will be if the Bosman rule will still apply as it was originally an ECJ ruling.

How does the Bosman ruling affect signing players from South America, Africa and Asia at the present? 

1 hour ago, EpicMike said:

*no law expert*

Dont think it would change though?

Players breaking rules should they agree a pre-contract to come to the UK if they breached the current Bosman rules. If they didnt break the law legally they'd still end up with a ban from Fifa/UEFA etc like players often do relating to contract disputes and clubs ending up not allowed to play them until the governing body ratifies the eligibility like the Thistle Coulibaly situation. 

Other way round as well for players leaving the UK for Europe. Clubs would then be breaking the rules if they signed someone in breach of the Bosman rules when signing someone from the UK. Club and/or player punished there as well. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

3 hours ago, coprolite said:

Possibly, criteria might change, but that's not the point i was making. My point was that you were dribbling shite. 

Piss off, ya smart arse p***k

5 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Is this an attempt at a whoosh?

No, it was meant figuratively not literally because I wanted to emphasise the point of how neglible the number was. There's an African playing for the club I support but he now has UK citizenship which allowed us to sign him. Sporle, Fuchs, Killie's Congolese quartet, Moyo, Lawson Mugabi, etc. also all have EU citizenship. Hernandez at Aberdeen is the only African or Latin American outside Rangers and Celtic without EU citizenship. In recent years, Obua at Hearts is the only other one I can think of. Even Djoum had Belgian citizenship.

So if EEA players have the same rules applied to them as Africans and Latin Americans in January, as seems likely given the lack of any UK-EU agreement, that'll be a significant change to now. I'd guess it'll eventually be made much easier to sign European players but perhaps not for a while as it won't be a government priority. 

I think lower half Scottish sides aren't signing multiple players from different continents through choice, tbh.

A hugely expensive gamble on someone who might not settle at all without family (Hernandez).

9 hours ago, ahemps said:

How does the Bosman ruling affect signing players from South America, Africa and Asia at the present? 

It doesn't, the Bosman ruling only applies to signing players in EU nations.

8 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

*no law expert*

Dont think it would change though?

Players breaking rules should they agree a pre-contract to come to the UK if they breached the current Bosman rules. If they didnt break the law legally they'd still end up with a ban from Fifa/UEFA etc like players often do relating to contract disputes and clubs ending up not allowed to play them until the governing body ratifies the eligibility like the Thistle Coulibaly situation. 

Other way round as well for players leaving the UK for Europe. Clubs would then be breaking the rules if they signed someone in breach of the Bosman rules when signing someone from the UK. Club and/or player punished there as well. 

Is the Bosman rule codified into UEFA rules? Or is it purely an ECJ ruling? Would need to check what the rules are in non-EU, non UEFA nations.