Brexit Transfers

How is Brexit going to affect Scottish football in terms of signing players?

I have heard pundits discussing the impact of Brexit and things like gaining work permits will affect lower league clubs in England (unlikely to affect the premier leagues as they sign mostly internationals and pay big money which should meet the expected requirements). 

Will this have a negative affect on signing foreign players or is it unlikely to make a difference up here? 

It probably pushes up the value of UK and Irish players. 

Clubs with a focus on youth development probably see increased returns from this strategy.

That said, I think there’s a chance that the SFA has different signing rules than the FA, which I don’t think have been released yet. We’ll have to wait and see what they look like.

It's pretty much irrelevant what the relevant FAs think, they will be forced to adhere to the same "points based" criteria as any other worker wanting to come here.

As you'd expect, this will massively benefit the rich clubs as it will negatively affect the poorer ones - a metaphor for Brexit as a whole, really - although it may have some positive impact on youth development. If it does, it'll be one of the very few benefits Brexit brings.

Edited by Ric

33 minutes ago, G51 said:

It probably pushes up the value of UK and Irish players. 

Clubs with a focus on youth development probably see increased returns from this strategy.

That said, I think there’s a chance that the SFA has different signing rules than the FA, which I don’t think have been released yet. We’ll have to wait and see what they look like.

Would non UK Irish players not be in the same boat as other EU nationals? Or are EU countries allowed bilateral border rules outside of the EU's? 

22 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Would non UK Irish players not be in the same boat as other EU nationals? Or are EU countries allowed bilateral border rules outside of the EU's? 

The UK and Ireland have free movement of people under the Common Travel Area, which is an arrangement that precedes the EU. Irish nationals are allowed to settle and work in the UK without restrictions and vice-versa. Each countries citizens are also allowed to vote in each others elections providing they're resident in the country (with the exception that UK nationals aren't permitted to vote in Irish referendums or presidential elections).

The CTA came into being because, for obvious reasons, neither side fancied imposing identity checks at the border between the UK and the Free State, as it was at the time. So for the purpose of football, Irish players are effectively treated as UK players.

Edited by G51

Yes, it'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

Whether there are additional difficulties in signing foreign players, I think some Scottish teams have the potential to do quite well out of this if you also consider the fact that the EFL have introduced a salary cap in League 1 and League 2.

Scotland may be a more lucrative option for some players now if their earning potential is limited down south.

12 minutes ago, G51 said:

The UK and Ireland have free movement of people under the Common Travel Area, which is an arrangement that precedes the EU. Irish nationals are allowed to settle and work in the UK without restrictions and vice-versa. Each countries citizens are also allowed to vote in each others elections providing they're resident in the country (with the exception that UK nationals aren't permitted to vote in Irish referendums or presidential elections).

The CTA came into being because, for obvious reasons, neither side fancied imposing identity checks at the border between the UK and the Free State, as it was at the time. So for the purpose of football, Irish players are effectively treated as UK players.

Every day is a school day, thanks 

1 hour ago, Salguodinmethven. said:

Could it possibly benefit home grown youths coming up through the ranks like it once was if it's harder to get visas etc etc. As in more spaces available in first teams for Scottish playersMay take a while but could benefit the national team. Or am I talking crap and being a racist nowadays.

Possibly those places in squads will be replaced by Scottish youth players but it's perhaps as likely they'll be replaced instead by players from England.

It will likely harm the national team due to the reduction in domestic league quality. The national teams of Spain, Germany, Portugal, France, Belgium and England have all improved in line with their domestic leagues improving from foreign player increases. Then successful national teams which have domestic leagues with very few foreigners require their best players to transfer out of that league. Croatia, Brazil, Argentina.

1 hour ago, FreedomFarter said:

Possibly those places in squads will be replaced by Scottish youth players but it's perhaps as likely they'll be replaced instead by players from England.

Especially when you factor in the wage cap in the 3rd/4th tiers in England (assuming the cap stays when crowds return to stadiums). Clubs won't be running with such bloated squads any more.

Personally, I'll miss the international lucky bag of journeymen players that Accies entertain us with every August. 

Some have even turned out to be quite good.

And it's nice to see the bewildered look on the faces of their families when they pop over to watch them from Greece/Portugal/Spain/Stoke Newington etc.

I'm not sure playing next to Carlos Kickabol is necessarily going to improve Shug McGlumpher's football skills.

However Shug McGlumpher might be a better player if whatever natural talent he had was developed from an early age by a talented foreign youth coach instead of some has-been Scottish numpty who frees Shug at 16 because he's "not tall enough". Presumably said foreign youth coach would have enough skills and a guaranteed job to get the points required for a visa.

2 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

It will likely harm the national team due to the reduction in domestic league quality. The national teams of Spain, Germany, Portugal, France, Belgium and England have all improved in line with their domestic leagues improving from foreign player increases. Then successful national teams which have domestic leagues with very few foreigners require their best players to transfer out of that league. Croatia, Brazil, Argentina.

Our best players already transfer out of our league. Pretty much all of our best players do - you could argue the toss on whether McGregor is one of our best players (I would say he is) but he’d still be the exception rather than the rule. Robertson, Tierney, McGinn, Armstrong, Fraser are all in England (sure I’m forgetting loads but you get the point).