Dumbarton vs Cove Rangers

3 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

McGeever and Reilly the only two players out tomorrow.

Based on that, and with absolutely nothing to lose given we can't score these days, I've decided I want to see us lineup like this.

Kevin Dabrowski

Sam Wardrop Stuart Carswell Morgyn Neill Rico Quitongo

PJ Crossan Nat Wedderburn Chris Hamilton Adam Frizzell

Denny Johnstone Jaime Wilson

I was listening to a thing on the radio the other day about (I think) Brentford. And they'd evaluated the previous 10 promotion winners from the Championship and what the side had done, and they came to the conclusion that they had to aim to score two goals per game. Above all else. If they average two goals per game then, statistically, they'd probably be promoted.

That's what we need to do imo. It's all very well getting clean sheets, but if you don't find the net then you'll be relegated. Simple. I'd far rather lose tomorrow 4-3 but show a right good attacking threat, than camp in our own half and draw 0-0. As mental as I'm aware as that might sound.

Do I think Crossan and Frizzell are better centrally than out wide? I think I do, yes, especially with Crossan. But we don't use the wings enough and they'll give us two guys who are happy to take the ball from the defence and drive at players a bit. It'll also give us two natural wingers. Not a left-back on the wing and a wide midfielder. Two actual wingers.

Johnstone can do the #9 role, and Wilson can buzz about him. Will it work? I've no idea, but it's got to be worth a shot. We aren't changing the defence at all so it should be fine, and Wedderburn and Hamilton can both provide plenty of defensive cover - whilst also showing an eye for a pass forwards.

I would imagine the chances of the above team starting however are approximately 77/1.

Like the bit about Brentford. Pity you are struggling to score as you've managed to grind out a few good results regardless. I reckon this could be another scud-apiece, which I assume Sons would take?

Cove fans, is the honeymoon period over yet or are we speaking too soon?

2 hours ago, sarti pooh said:

I think it makes perfect sense. Floodlights must cost a bomb to run and I'd be fine tuning in earlier for the game.

It makes more than sense.  Apparently at some point in recent years the league authorities expressed concern about our floodlights, and from what I heard they took no action on the basis that we were in a process of moving to a new ground.  I don't know if any remedial work has been carried out in the interim but I would imagine it would have been very limited.

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It makes more than sense.  Apparently at some point in recent years the league authorities expressed concern about our floodlights, and from what I heard they took no action on the basis that we were in a process of moving to a new ground.  I don't know if any remedial work has been carried out in the interim but I would imagine it would have been very limited.

We've been trying to keep the league happy about our floodlights for years. They're not really up to scratch but we keep getting an agreement to put remedial work back on the basis of a possible stadium move by our owners. Also have lamps going in the floodlights and problems with the control board. I believe they drove a certain former director with experience of industrial lighting absolutely mad sometimes.

6 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Think they have 1 guy who posts on a weekly basis. I haven't seen any others, even on the Cove thread.

I take a bit of interest in them but aye, there's a proper fan who normally turns up on these threads sooner or later.   

I think the last couple of results maybe give a better indication of how the season will go for Cove, three consecutive promotions is probably a bit much to expect.  No reason they shouldn't manage a playoff spot though.  Haven't heard if Megginson is back for tomorrow. 

That's all I've got! 

22 hours ago, sarti pooh said:

Cove have any fans on this platform?

There's a couple of us, literally. I'm fairly active.

Looking forward to watching the game today. Our last 3 games have been LDL but against a strong Falkirk side, a Robert top corner cracker and a stellar strike from MacLean. We've been passing it around well and playing fairly solid in all of those games so although the results have been disappointing there is optimism.

Return of Mitch to the Rock. Enjoyed reading the praise of Mitch from the Sons fans. I echo everything about him. He's our talisman and we missed him massively last week. His work rate, pace and finishing is top notch for this level. Sure he could play higher.

Our weakness is our lack of depth. A few poor signings by PH means our ability to change it from the bench is limited. 

16 hours ago, resk said:

I take a bit of interest in them but aye, there's a proper fan who normally turns up on these threads sooner or later.   

I think the last couple of results maybe give a better indication of how the season will go for Cove, three consecutive promotions is probably a bit much to expect.  No reason they shouldn't manage a playoff spot though.  Haven't heard if Megginson is back for tomorrow. 

That's all I've got! 

@resk - you can be an honorary Cove fan given you've posted 10 times more about Cove than all other fans except myself combined!

We need to up our numbers!

Edited by CoveRangers1922

21 hours ago, ThroughtheTurnstiles said:

Like the bit about Brentford. Pity you are struggling to score as you've managed to grind out a few good results regardless. I reckon this could be another scud-apiece, which I assume Sons would take?

Cove fans, is the honeymoon period over yet or are we speaking too soon?

Honeymoon period isn't over yet although admittedly the last 3 results (LDL) haven't been ideal. 

Saying that 1-0 Falkirk away, 1-1 Airdrie away and 2-1 loss to Montrose at home. Not many teams will take points from Falkirk who I see winning the league and  it's was a Robert and MacLean 20 yard postage stamp strikes to stop us getting more out of both of the last two.

Definitely need to get back to winning ways.

What I've noticed so far is our ability to change it from the bench is our weakness. Our first 11 is strong. A few poor signings has caused that and as ever we are very reliant on Mitch

No Mitch again which is a huge blow for us. Good thing that Rory is out as he's useless as a lone striker.

We have Broque Watson starting and he has A LOT to prove. Haven't seen him put in a strong performance since he joined us.

We'll be without a recognised striker, however, i think we'll line up 4-5-1 with McIntosh playing furthest forward. That's a worry too. Will be looking for goals from our midfielders today.

3 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Yeah I talk to myself on the Cove thread. Did that last season too. Resorted to posting on other clubs threads now 

😂 that’s excellent!

Shame you guys didn’t manage to send Cowdung down to the Lowland League!

Edited by FifeSons

Ugh what a bity start to the game. Not passing it around like we usually do. Already I see Broque struggling and McIntosh not an able striker.

Wouldn't like to say where our first goal is coming from. Either Milne or Masson most likely