*** slayers v St Johnstone 19/12/20

11 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I was sitting texting my pal during the game calling Erwin and McAllister all the donkeys under the sun. Football has a funny habit of making you look quite stupid. Fair play to Goodwin as it couldn’t have worked out better. 

Same. McAllister frustrates the hell out me. You know he can be a matchwinner, but he rarely produces.

5 minutes ago, Paul Cicero said:

Plesed to have sent the miserable chookters home to the Fair City with diddly squat substitutions won the game and another fantastic result shall i look my passport out for May ?

After today's Covid announcements, I'd hold off with looking out the passports. 

Our usual match winners of late - McGrath, Connolly and Durmus - were all having one of those days today. Wasn’t happening for any of them and as it went into the 80th minute I was thinking typical St Mirren:

Beat Rangers in the cup on Wednesday and lose at home to ten men St Johnstone on Saturday.

We have a depth now though, which we haven’t had for a long while. While our three main attacking threats of late weren’t on it the other guys stepped up: McAllister, Erwin, Obika.

Very pleasing. Top six is certainly within reach if we keep this up, even if the appeal doesn’t go our way. If it does my word, we really are rocking.

I was moaning about the subs that Jim made but, not for the first time or the last, I was made to look like an arse.

Fair play to Jim and the team - yet again showing a fantastic attitude and battling right to the end.

It's a fine time to be a bud

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

The width offered by bringing Mason on was the difference there. 

He should be starting every week and Tait moved to opposite flank. 

Not so sure on that , Tait and Fraser are probably better defenders , and I think JG likes what Tait brings to the team from LB . 

32 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

Well it seems that with only 4 points seperating 5th to 11th it is indeed possible for nearly any team in the league to finish the top half.

Its very competitive but it means teams could easily go from european football to a relegation battle within a few games (cough, Motherwell, cough).

Imagine St Mirren actually finishing in the top half, qualifying for European football and winning the League cup?

....... and St Mirren & Killie still to have their appeals against the outcome of their forfeit fixtures heard. If successful, six points removed from Motherwell's current points total would make it even more interesting,  eh ?

Jim needs to have a look at himself. Two home games and four goals shipped. Not good enough!

but seriously.

I thought the red was harsh at first but when you see it again, late two feet, off the ground studs up and when he misses the player he tries to grab him. It was almost the case that it was two yellows in the one incident. 

5 minutes ago, DumbartonBud said:

I thought the red was harsh at first but when you see it again, late two feet, off the ground studs up and when he misses the player he tries to grab him. It was almost the case that it was two yellows in the one incident. 

Certainly if Shaughnessy's tackle on Stewart earlier this season , where he took the ball first , was a red,  then so was that today !

2 minutes ago, billyg said:

Certainly if Shaughnessy's tackle on Stewart earlier this season , where he took the ball first , was a red,  then so was that today !

Red card all day long. If Durmas hadn't been quick enough to avoid serious contact, it could have been much worse for him.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Teams timewasting like f**k when they're winning only to go behind and suddenly wish they had more time is magnificent entertainment every single time.

Yep, similar to Steve Robinson today at Ibrox. Going mental at McGregor time wasting after we’d taken the lead as if he hadn’t instructed his players to do the exact same for the previous 80 minutes.

8 minutes ago, AJF said:

Yep, similar to Steve Robinson today at Ibrox. Going mental at McGregor time wasting after we’d taken the lead as if he hadn’t instructed his players to do the exact same for the previous 80 minutes.

Bit different to us taking our time over things when 2-1 up, away from home, and having been down to ten men since before half time, tbh.

But there we go.

1 hour ago, monthelie' said:

Same. McAllister frustrates the hell out me. You know he can be a matchwinner, but he rarely produces.

I wonder how much that hip injury that was spoken about since he came back from Derby affects him. I remember reading that it was an injury that he would never be able to be free from but something he would need to manage for the rest of his career. Hopefully that performance today gives him a bit of confidence because he definitely has the ability. 

5 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I wonder how much that hip injury that was spoken about since he came back from Derby affects him. I remember reading that it was an injury that he would never be able to be free from but something he would need to manage for the rest of his career. Hopefully that performance today gives him a bit of confidence because he definitely has the ability. 

Affects him quite a lot, it's safe to say. His running looks freer than it did when he first came back, when you could tell by his movement how much he was struggling.

I think for now, cameo roles might suit him best. We've seen today (and previously) that he can be a game-changer on his day. Now we're not totally relying on him, it's probably best for all concerned.

I personally love watching him with the ball at his feet, and he gives us another dimension. I'm comfortable with that being from the bench for now.

6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Affects him quite a lot, it's safe to say. His running looks freer than it did when he first came back, when you could tell by his movement how much he was struggling.

I think for now, cameo roles might suit him best. We've seen today (and previously) that he can be a game-changer on his day. Now we're not totally relying on him, it's probably best for all concerned.

I personally love watching him with the ball at his feet, and he gives us another dimension. I'm comfortable with that being from the bench for now.

Was it not reported in the summer that he'd had an operation that had sorted his long term problems? 

I could be wrong. 

The classic "injured footballer" loop..

> "We've discovered the problem"
> "He's had an operation"
> "Everything should be fine now"
> "He really needed a full pre-season"
> "He could do with more game time"
> "It seems the operation wasn't quite as successful as we'd hoped"
> "He's fine so long as we manage him"

Don't get me wrong, when McAllister's fit and on form he's a great player to have in the squad. Just that those two criteria don't always align.