Jordan Holsgrove

4 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Nah that's pish, we've seen many times in Europe and for Scotland he was easily good enough to mix it with Europe's best every week.  McArthur a good example, Brown is better than him in every department, and McArthur has made a career in the EPL, survived a decade, and played hundreds of times.

Italy would have suited Brown even better, and apparently Inter tried to sign. Far too good for Celtic and Scottish football, from what I've read stayed to be close to his parents after his sister died. 

Forrest good enough to spend most of his career in one of Europe's top 5 leagues too, and McGregor already should have gone.

4 hours ago, ahemps said:

Scott Brown for Inter Milan????? Seriously. If he was that good he would have been signed for someone, Southampton can treble a Celtics player wage so if anyone actually wanted him in the EPL he would have left, it is that simple.

The best games I saw him for Scotland was because he got stuck in, that is a good trait to have but doesn't make him a top player. He was a very average player with a good work rate and must win attitude. McArthur a far better player, proven because he played at a far higher lever for longer. Raising your game 5-10 times a season because the rest of the time you are in a comfort zone doesn't make you a top player. And any time Celtic got shown up in Europe, his flaws stood out more than any other player. Look at the players who looked like world beaters during the last 10yrs at Celtic who range between okay to below average at EPL, Samaras, Commons, Ledley, Armstrong, McGeady, Hooper, Roberts. Celtic fans point at Van Dijk and Tierney to say how good their players are, these two are exceptional, Brown was never at their level, Ledley was every bit as good as Brown and and look at his EPL career, he never got his move to Inter either.

James Forrest is another one you are over rating, Scott Sinclair while at Celtic was their main man, far better than Forrest, apart from one good season for Swansea Sinclair is a below average EPL player so how would Forrest fare better than Sinclair at a higher level?

Im kind of in the middle here. I think back to the scott brown coming thru at hibs who was an exceptional talent. And I dont think he's maximised his potential.

If he had went abroad to a more technical league when he was younger. I think we could have been looking at a far better player now.

Staying in Scotland has not brought out the best in him, he was far to focused on the physical side. And never developed enough technically. His first touch, passing and actual use of the ball have never been great. He dropped deeper but for me never learned to play that role as good as he should have.

Obviously he's had a good career and done well. But he had the potential to be so much better.

When you watched him for Scotland he was often technically completely outmatched. And all the huffing and puffing he did didn't hide that.

3 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Canny believe some on this thread are arguing that an in prime McArthur is equal or better than an in prime Brown emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

I accept that my opinion may be in the minority but to suggest that Brown was so superior that it's not even debatable is wrong. I know Celtic mad season ticket holders that really don't rate Brown at all.

7 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Pretty much all of them. Just give it up FFS.

You think he gets into the Man City or Liverpool team??? I suppose if he's good enough for Inter then he probably does.

He gets nowhere near the top 6 or even an Everton or Leicester so he might get into one of the rest which is pretty much the level that McArthur has played the vast majority of his career so it is not that strange a debate to have.

At a higher level week in week out when kicking people is not enough then he would get found out. For about 5 yrs now every time Celtic get a bad defeat in Europe he's singled out as being not good enough then the following Saturday he kicks a Kille player gives the fans a look so they can make a meme from it and he's back to being a legend. 

57 minutes ago, ahemps said:

You think he gets into the Man City or Liverpool team??? I suppose if he's good enough for Inter then he probably does.

He gets nowhere near the top 6 or even an Everton or Leicester so he might get into one of the rest which is pretty much the level that McArthur has played the vast majority of his career so it is not that strange a debate to have.

At a higher level week in week out when kicking people is not enough then he would get found out. For about 5 yrs now every time Celtic get a bad defeat in Europe he's singled out as being not good enough then the following Saturday he kicks a Kille player gives the fans a look so they can make a meme from it and he's back to being a legend. 

You were just shown a link proving he turned Spurs down. I can't be arsed with this pish.

1 minute ago, Falcor Roar said:

Just popped in to say prime Scot Brown wouldn't get anywhere near a top 6 side in England. You need to be able to pass the ball properly to play in those sides. Behave. 

Yeah totally man, he's played 750 games at central midfield without being able to pass the ball.  This is why I treat a lot of people's opinions with contempt, as that's what they deserve.

3 minutes ago, Falcor Roar said:

Just popped in to say prime Scot Brown wouldn't get anywhere near a top 6 side in England. You need to be able to pass the ball properly to play in those sides. Behave. 

Also comical you completely ignore a link showing a top 6 team tried to buy him.  Just pretend that doesn't exist, in order to spout your pish. Realistically I'd say Spurs are a better judge of whether he was good enough for a top 6 side than some fandans on pieandbovril.

A central midfielder who has captained his country and played 130 games of European football, but can't pass the ball.  Aye right you are then.

Just runs about and kicks people eh, that's why he's been a mainstay of a team that has the vast majority of possession in almost all of their games and generally plays teams that sit in against them for the last fifteen years under multiple managers. Running around kicking people is a lot of use for that eh?

Edited by Carnoustie Young Guvnor

Absolutely no way he turned down Spurs unless he was told he was only going to be a squad player. If he did go to a top team down there he would be found out very quickly and that's why he didn't go. So easy for people to say "I could have got a better job but didn't want to". At the end of the day he knew he wouldn't be good enough to make it down there. Good money at Celtic, easy games every week, happy days.

Just to add - Spurs midfield in 2010: Modric, Bale, van der Vaart, Sandro, Lennon. Sub midfielders: Jenas, Pienaar, Kranjca, Palacios, Huddlestone, Townsend

Edited by Chewing Taffies

Scott Brown at his  best would've played for any team in the EPL, at that time, his success would've depended on how much they wanted him to do.

He was unreal for a few seasons, but got pigeon holed a bit by Celtic and started playing below himself, and has now severely declined.

The fact most of us see him play every few weeks probably means you only remember what he is, rather than what he was.

Of the Tottenham players above, he was better than Sandro, Huddlestone and Jonas, at his best. VDV and Krancjar completely different roles in the side, and I've no idea why wingers are listed.

Very much doubt Brown, if eligible,  would have picked as many intentional caps as Sandro did for Brazil or Jenas did for England. I stand my point he would have been a squad player at Spurs. And if you think he would have got in the Chelsea team at that time then you really are at it.

The fact is we will never actually know because he clearly lacked ambition if not talent. Probably both though.

9 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I can't be bothered in a daft argument. 

9 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

He's been Celtic captain and one of their best players for a decade. That obviously indicates he was capable of playing at a higher level than Celtic, hardly 'maximising' his career by being there. He has been their highest paid player for years, and Southampton do not pay 150 grand a week.

7 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Davis can't even get a game for Rangers FFS.  We are all Scottish, we've all seen these players all their careers, everybody knows Brown has always been a better player than McArthur, there has never been a time since they made their debuts that hasn't been the case.  That's why Brown got into the Scottish football hall of fame, and McArthur didn't, and Brown captained Scotland, and McArthur didn't.

That's why Brown was playing for Hibs as a teenager, and McArthur was playing for Hamilton aged 20, and why Brown went to Celtic, and McArthur went to Wigan, a vastly inferior team.  Its not even close, I don't know why I'm bothering, some of the shite you read is just laughable. Even James McArthur would tell you Scott Brown has always been a much better player.

He isn't a first choice, hasn't been for ages. Some of the jobbers who have survived all their careers in the EPL and you think Brown wouldn't have cut it, laughable. He's born to play in that league, tough, combative, aggressive, loves a tackle and a battle, and can play is technically excellent.  He would have shat that league and played every week for a top 8 club, look at pish like Elneny at fucking Arsenal Brown is light years better than that.

5 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

4 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Pretty much all of them. Just give it up FFS.

2 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

You were just shown a link proving he turned Spurs down. I can't be arsed with this pish.

Yeah totally man, he's played 750 games at central midfield without being able to pass the ball.  This is why I treat a lot of people's opinions with contempt, as that's what they deserve.

Also comical you completely ignore a link showing a top 6 team tried to buy him.  Just pretend that doesn't exist, in order to spout your pish. Realistically I'd say Spurs are a better judge of whether he was good enough for a top 6 side than some fandans on pieandbovril.

A central midfielder who has captained his country and played 130 games of European football, but can't pass the ball.  Aye right you are then.

Just runs about and kicks people eh, that's why he's been a mainstay of a team that has the vast majority of possession in almost all of their games and generally plays teams that sit in against them for the last fifteen years under multiple managers. Running around kicking people is a lot of use for that eh?

34 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
2 hours ago, Falcor Roar said:

Simple Google search just shows you're wrong

No your wrong, Bing search that it's a FACT.