Full back (right & left)

Craigieboy86

18 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

A fully fit Ryan Jack of 2 years ago could play RWB in this team no bother, but that's not what we've got.

Agreed. Perhaps he could still fill in as a right back though if that was ever required. That seems like a remote possibility, but you never know.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought Ralston did quite well last night. Similar to how he's played previously. He's got a good final ball, but he's better technically than he gets credit for and he can see the picture and play the right pass most of the time.

Not massively tested defensively so can't talk about that and it remains to be seen if he can step up to this level of competition, but thought he deserved a word. I still think it'll be horses for courses for the Germany game so I can see a case for him or McCrorie.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I thought Ralston did quite well last night. Similar to how he's played previously. He's got a good final ball, but he's better technically than he gets credit for and he can see the picture and play the right pass most of the time.

Not massively tested defensively so can't talk about that and it remains to be seen if he can step up to this level of competition, but thought he deserved a word. I still think it'll be horses for courses for the Germany game so I can see a case for him or McCrorie.

I'd rather have McCrorie at RWB.

McCrorie's reluctance to bomb forward says to me that he isn't a wingback. Or rather, he isn't exactly a "rush to the byline, crossing" type of modern fullback/wingback.

Ralston is hit and miss going forward and he's OK defensively.

Steve Clarke should have experimented with playing Forrest or Christie as right wingback.

A fully fit Jack would be ideal as he started as a right back. Unfortunately, his fitness means he can't be trusted.

Ralston can be the new O'Donnell for us and that's not a bad thing. A solid 6/7 out of ten, effective passer, decent pace, strong. I wish he would get more club games but I really like him in there for Scotland. 

14 minutes ago, the snudge said:

Ralston can be the new O'Donnell for us and that's not a bad thing. A solid 6/7 out of ten, effective passer, decent pace, strong. I wish he would get more club games but I really like him in there for Scotland. 

TBH I think that Ralston is a good bit better than SOD was and we’d all be fairly happy that he’s there if it wasn’t for the fact that Hickey is several levels above. We’re struggling for depth, especially because of the injuries, but also because we’re a smaller nation so just have fewer options to call on. That said, I’m convinced that our strongest starting 11 should be able to at least compete with almost anyone at this tournament.

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I agree and i don't get the negativity against him, Ralston is pretty good going forward and we rely on our full backs to give us width so he would be a better fit over other options. 

Yeah if we had this version of Ralston between Hutton losing it and O'Donnell's arrival (and arguably beyond that) then he'd have been looked back on with mild fondness. 

10 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Yeah if we had this version of Ralston between Hutton losing it and O'Donnell's arrival (and arguably beyond that) then he'd have been looked back on with mild fondness. 

Was that the period when KT was playing RB?

13 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

Was that the period when KT was playing RB?

I was thinking more the Euro 2016 campaign and the start of the following one.