P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

4 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Division C Round 10, GordonS496 draws with beef2711.

A very generous offer of a draw, it was definitely getting away from me.

Didn't realise I was 4.67 up, thought it was pretty even give or take.

You had me on the ropes at one point, but once I got my queen out, then parked her on d4 it swung the game back.

Just now, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Didn't realise I was 4.67 up, thought it was pretty even give or take.

You had me on the ropes at one point, but once I got my queen out, then parked her on d4 it swung the game back.

I couldn't get the pawn to promote without using the queen, I couldn't use the queen without losing cover on the rook on e3, and I couldn't cover that another way without a load of fannying about that would have given you too much time. 

I was scrabbling to defend your opening, clearly some sort of trap on my kingside that I had to figure out, then I played my way back to what I felt was level but the engine says was I well up. Then I lost my way, I couldn't decide how to attack. I started with a broad front attack (I've never seen a game 33 moves in with all my pawns on the board and on their original files), I thought it would apply pressure until a weakness opened and it would allow my rooks space for manoeuvre behind the pawns. But it opened up a diagonal for your queen that could have pinned my king to the queen, and after that I realised my mistake - I hadn't left any pawns to protect my king. I then went for a pawn charge up the right, which against a lesser player would have worked and probably bought me the draw in the end, but my strategic weakness at the back was too easily exploited by your pieces and your quality in threatening pins, forks and skewers.

What it calls a blunder was my fear of you getting an easy check on me with that bishop, which would have given you checkmate options pretty quickly. And the missed win... nope, no idea what it's thinking. But my real mistake was strategic.

GG, but I'm glad it's over!

18 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I couldn't get the pawn to promote without using the queen, I couldn't use the queen without losing cover on the rook on e3, and I couldn't cover that another way without a load of fannying about that would have given you too much time. 

I was scrabbling to defend your opening, clearly some sort of trap on my kingside that I had to figure out, then I played my way back to what I felt was level but the engine says was I well up. Then I lost my way, I couldn't decide how to attack. I started with a broad front attack (I've never seen a game 33 moves in with all my pawns on the board and on their original files), I thought it would apply pressure until a weakness opened and it would allow my rooks space for manoeuvre behind the pawns. But it opened up a diagonal for your queen that could have pinned my king to the queen, and after that I realised my mistake - I hadn't left any pawns to protect my king. I then went for a pawn charge up the right, which against a lesser player would have worked and probably bought me the draw in the end, but my strategic weakness at the back was too easily exploited by your pieces and your quality in threatening pins, forks and skewers.

What it calls a blunder was my fear of you getting an easy check on me with that bishop, which would have given you checkmate options pretty quickly. And the missed win... nope, no idea what it's thinking. But my real mistake was strategic.

GG, but I'm glad it's over!

Yeah, you were up a rook over a bishop, but the rook became a liability on e3. I was having fits about that f pawn though, couldn't see a way to get a couple of checks and a mate without stopping you promoting.

Was a thoroughly enjoyable game though, and I think a draw is fair.

The opening was a stafford gambit, which is a tricksy opening, you defended it near perfect though, which gives you a pawn, plus control of the centre. I think I'll bin it and go back to the Caro Kann or the French as that's twice I've used it against yourself and Eindhovendee and only managed to fight for a draw in both games.

3 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Yeah, you were up a rook over a bishop, but the rook became a liability on e3. I was having fits about that f pawn though, couldn't see a way to get a couple of checks and a mate without stopping you promoting.

Was a thoroughly enjoyable game though, and I think a draw is fair.

The opening was a stafford gambit, which is a tricksy opening, you defended it near perfect though, which gives you a pawn, plus control of the centre. I think I'll bin it and go back to the Caro Kann or the French as that's twice I've used it against yourself and Eindhovendee and only managed to fight for a draw in both games.

I think a draw over the course of the game is fair, but at the point at which it happened I think I was lucky. We were both one mistake from losing though.

Aye it told me it was the Stafford gambit, I'll be reading about that later. I could see that your bishop wasn't the critical threat, it was the knight to f4 and the queen coming round. I think the thing with tricksy openings is that they're great if your opponent falls into the trap, but if they hold you off your position is worse. Probably worth trying against noobs like me though - if I hadn't been gubbed by wide queens in both my games last week I might have fallen for it.

19 hours ago, NotThePars said:

NotThePars loses to Hammys. *runs the PR script* We've learnt our lesson this week and the boys fall back down to earth after getting slightly gallus off the back of back-to-back victories. We'll dust ourselves off and hope we're sitting comfortably enough to avoid relegation but will not be resting on our laurels!

It was a good game. I thought I was humped when your queen went on a rampage.

madwullie beats @gkneil by checkmate.

Really enjoyable open game I thought. Fell behind on material early on and became so obsessed with trying to even up the score I made a few silly mistakes. Once you offered the Queen trade (which really surprised me at the time - was sure it was a trap) I felt on top, but for a long time it could easily have gone either way. 

Thanks mate 🤝 

Edited by madwullie

1 minute ago, madwullie said:

madwullie beats @gkneil by checkmate.

Really enjoyable open game I thought. Fell behind on material early on and became so obsessed with trying to even up the score I made a few silly mistakes. Once you offered the Queen trade (which really surprised me at the time - was sure it was a trap) I felt on top, but for a long time it could easily have gone either way. 

Thanks mate 🤝 

Good game, yeah I decided to take the risk of the Queen trade knowing I'd lose the Knight and be a piece down but though doubling your pawns would give me an opportunity to promote one of my own. Never got going though. I had a potential line at the Queen trade to actually not take the Queen and grab the Rook by the King instead. I couldn't see it working out for me though. Was hoping your move 13 was going to take the pawn and then take my Knight & Bishop as there was a chance of me forking your Queen & King but didn't happen. My risky style failed to pay off, again

18 minutes ago, gkneil said:

Good game, yeah I decided to take the risk of the Queen trade knowing I'd lose the Knight and be a piece down but though doubling your pawns would give me an opportunity to promote one of my own. Never got going though. I had a potential line at the Queen trade to actually not take the Queen and grab the Rook by the King instead. I couldn't see it working out for me though. Was hoping your move 13 was going to take the pawn and then take my Knight & Bishop as there was a chance of me forking your Queen & King but didn't happen. My risky style failed to pay off, again

Just looked back, and taking your bishop on 13 was what I was talking about when I was so desperate to catch up on material that I played some daft moves. The engine calls that a blunder from me. I know there was a reason I took the Bishop first, but I can't remember what it was. I think it might just have been so I didn't miss the chance. 

Edited by madwullie

49 minutes ago, EvilScotsman said:

I'm game for joining in with this at the next league expansion. 

Unlike everyone else who's said it, I'm legitimately pish - I keep getting humped by Devon (1600) at the minute. 

That's not pish around here. Go back a few pages and you'll find us struggling to beat Nelson (1300). I've only had one win against a bot over 1400.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

That's not pish around here. Go back a few pages and you'll find us struggling to beat Nelson (1300). I've only had one win against a bot over 1400.

I haven't beaten a bot over 1300 yet. Every game follows a frustratingly similar pattern. I build up a solid advantage due to the random mistakes or pointless little moves they make early on then i make one error and they ruthlessly punish it and swing the game back in their favour. So annoying.

Tbf, I've never really tried to take my time and think anywhere near as much as I do against humans.

Edited by Gordon EF

13 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I haven't beaten a bot over 1300 yet. Every game follows a frustratingly similar pattern. I build up a solid advantage due to the random mistakes or pointless little moves they make early on then i make one error and they ruthlessly punish it and swing the game back in their favour. So annoying.

Tbf, I've never really tried to take my time and think anywhere near as much as I do against humans.

Weirdly, I'm finding it much easier against the bots than people. I cream every bot up to and including the 1100 mark but I can't match that against humans on anything below 10 minute matches. I think it's because the bots make mistakes that humans don't - they'll just be playing away normally and then give you a piece for no reason. I've hit a bit of a wall with Antonio at 1500 but I'll get the sucker.