Rangers vs St Johnstone, Wednesday 3 February 2021

Hard game coming up for Saints with a trip to meet the country's in-form team. But before we face Livingston, it's Rangers on Wednesday night.

After changing the side against Aberdeen, this is a game that properly represents a chance for the manager to freshen things up. 

As much as I always want to see David Wotherspoon involved, if the manager believes he needs a rest, this is the game to do it. Opportunity to get 90 minutes into James Brown and potentially any other new signings. 

Keep the back three together, McCann needs to play and an opportunity for Melamed against tough opposition. Brown and Tanser, then fill in the other spots. Wouldn't be upset if the likes of Bryson and O'Halloran play in this one and then restore other players for the Livingston game.

I’d like to see us play a strong team and have a go here.

Completely understand what Radford is saying, as there’s been a lot of fixtures the past month. But Spoony only played 25 minutes last Wednesday and McCann sat it out. But after Rangers midweek then Livingston on Saturday, we have 8 days to recover before the Celtic game. 

I do think Davidson will go for a bit of rotation though, and it’ll probably be 5-2-3 which is maybe his preference against better opposition. It possibly makes sense considering rangers’ threat from full back areas.

I just feel we haven’t done ourselves justice against rangers this season so far, and think we are capable of playing much better against them.

One thing is for sure, we can’t afford a goalkeeping performance like last time, or a defensive display like the first half yesterday.  

We've heard a lot about complacency recently and it's my main worry that we think that the leagues finished, we need to keep the tempo high and cut out any slackness. 

The team probably picks itself. 

On 01/02/2021 at 15:55, G51 said:

Mistakenly started another thread after not seeing this one.

Expecting Ced the Ted through the middle and a possible return of the 4-2-3-1.

The obvious is 4-3-3 as follows

McGregor

Tavernier
Goldson
Helander
Barisic

Aribo
Jack
Kamara

Hagi
Roofe
Kent

21 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

The obvious is 4-3-3 as follows

McGregor

Tavernier
Goldson
Helander
Barisic

Aribo
Jack
Kamara

Hagi
Roofe
Kent

I think it’s time we give Itten some decent game time so I’d be inclined to have him in over Hagi.

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Possibly.  I think we'll still be somewhat conservative, though.

We both know that @G51already knows the team lines...

I was going to wait until tomorrow to spoil everyone's fun, but what the hell.

McGregor, Tavernier, Goldson, Balogun, Barisic, Jack, Davis, Kent, Aribo, Roofe, Itten.

As you know, my sources never let me down. They GUARANTEE that this is the lineup.

1 minute ago, G51 said:

McGregor, Tavernier, Goldson, Balogun, Barisic, Jack, Davis, Kent, Aribo, Roofe, Itten.

As you know, my sources never let me down. They GUARANTEE that this is the lineup.

We've done this before...but it's always fun.

1 hour ago, G51 said:

St Johnstone will have a field day with that side. Aribo, Roofe and Itten?

5950e1a090503_i3tSE8(1).gif.5a334e3fb0ef8eecc4cea52752a41284.gif.1dba46fdef9057b4b92194f0162c5830.gif.fdc8b5034102c9f78cc0d74429717b0b.gif

As much as I hate saying anything positive about Rangers, Steven Gerrard has been talking about us in a flattering manner during his pre-match press conference. I was almost blushing whilst listening to his praise. Is this a trap? Should we trust him or does he have ulterior motives?

As much as I hate saying anything positive about Rangers, Steven Gerrard has been talking about us in a flattering manner during his pre-match press conference. I was almost blushing whilst listening to his praise. Is this a trap? Should we trust him or does he have ulterior motives?
I think you credit him with far too much intelligence. He'll have been reading off a script.

Hopefully we see Melamed/Kane together, really think having two bodies up there, and Melamed being so good on the ball, could help keep possession better than we usually do. Wotherspoon could be a match winner if he brings recent form into this too.

First goal is a must.