Livi v St Johnstone League Cup Finalists

Won't argue with losing that.

Ask you expect when these two teams play, both putting a lot into it and quality suffering as  result. With the exception of the set pieces there weren't many chances let alone clear cut chances. St Johnstone causing us problems from freekicks into the box/corners with Kerr getting on the end of one just before our goal. When it was nearly out of sight with the penalty, Robbo could've pinched us a point there but it wasn't to be. I think the biggest miss for us was Guthrie in both boxes.

In the end, a moment of quality from Tanser and poor defending from us equals deserving losers, IMO.

Edited by crispy

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

3-0 Would’ve been a fairer reflection of the game than 2-1 but really can’t complain. An excellent performance from Saints. 

3-5-2/ 3-4-1-2 every week, please. 

I disagree with that. I don't think there was much between the teams and certainly not as emphatic as a 3-0 would suggest. 

14 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

You're the man for this question. Before he hit the pen I had in my mind his last 2 pens + the one in the shootout should have been saved but he got away with it? 

I’m not too sure, but I’ve never rated his penalties to be honest. He hit one brilliantly v Lucern (?) and the rest trundle in or are saved.  I think I’ve seen him miss 3 possibly 4 pens over his two spells with Saints ..?

No damage done today, but if Robertson touches that cross a bit better late on we’ve thrown a comfortable win away.

Not our finest performance, with McCann, Wotherspoon and Melamed having off days, but very disciplined and looked much more of an attacking threat in the second-half. Bit of a scare towards the end but I rarely felt too troubled. Really nullified Livingston for the most part.

The fixture list provides us with some opportunities to push further up the league now, starting with a fairly easy home match against Celtic next Sunday.

Edited by The Real Saints

Interesting thing for us, looking towards the Final, is how Livingston respond to this.

They say the best way to judge a rookie manager is how they respond to the bad times, not how they're doing in the good times. Guess this is time to see what Martindale is actually made of as a manager.

Great performance overall from Saints. First half fairly even but second half we were comfortably the better team.

Agree with Kyle that 3-0 would have been a far more accurate reflection on the game.

Our back 5 were brilliant today and won that for us. Thought Kane as well was excellent, and Liam Craig decent.

McCann’s poorest game for a long time on the ball, but he put a shift in. Probably say the same about Melamed.

Starting to get the performance I and probably everyone else has been craving for. 

Not exactly free flowing and creating chances from open play but giving ourselves a platform to win the game by not giving anything away defensively. 

If we can continue to be hard to beat those 1-0 losses we kept suffering will start going in our favour more often!

Well done Saints today. 

8 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I’m not too sure, but I’ve never rated his penalties to be honest. He hit one brilliantly v Lucern (?) and the rest trundle in or are saved.  I think I’ve seen him miss 3 possibly 4 pens over his two spells with Saints ..?

No damage done today, but if Robertson touches that cross a bit better late on we’ve thrown a comfortable win away.

Exactly how I feel,never seems to hit them cleanly,need someone new on them

17 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Transfermarkt have him missing 3 penalties for us. 1 today, and then v County last season, and v Celtic in 13/14. Scored 10, but that includes shoot outs.

17 minutes ago, crispy said:

Won't argue with losing that.

Ask you expect when these two teams play, both putting a lot into it and quality suffering as  result. With the exception of the set pieces there weren't many chances let alone clear cut chances. St Johnstone causing us problems from freekicks into the box/corners with Kerr getting on the end of one just before our goal. When it was nearly out of sight with the penalty, Robbo could've pinched us a point there but it wasn't to be. I think the biggest miss for us was Guthrie in both boxes.

In the end, a moment of quality from Tanser and poor defending from us equals deserving losers, IMO.

Agree with this, pretty much sums up what i was going to say, good endeavour from St Johnstone getting in about us and cancelling our midfield out, defended better than us too, the difference was the set pieces though, both attacking and defending them, they came out top. Consolation for us saving the pen and scoring to give us some hope, Robbo almost getting on the end of a cross at the death was our last chance for the draw, wasn't to be though and our run comes to an end.

Well done St Johnstone, advantage you going into the cup final.:cheers

Hope Guthrie is back soon, we missed his height and prowess at defending and attacking set pieces, and Mullin's deliveries too.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Transfermarkt have him missing 3 penalties for us. 1 today, and then v County last season, and v Celtic in 13/14. Scored 10, but that includes shoot outs.

They were the ones I was thinking of, but for some reason I thought there was maybe another one since he came back, obviously  not.

One of our best performances of the season. They take different shapes and forms but we totally snuffed out a dangerous opponent and found the quality when it mattered at the other end.

I don't disagree that some players were a bit off their best but as a unit, there isn't much to find fault with. 

The performance important as the result ahead of the final. We might not be too changed for that game but Livingston have the size of squad that means they could look very different on the day. 

We are hitting form at the right time and have been over this course of the games running up to the split before.

Really pleased with that. 

10 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

They were the ones I was thinking of, but for some reason I thought there was maybe another one since he came back, obviously  not.

His scored on v St Mirren literally bobbled over the line after the keeper saved it, I'm sure. 

Chris Kane outstanding today, won both free kicks and his general hold up play excellent. Impossible not to see shades of Maclean in his performances this season.  Wins free kicks and territory all game. Gets battered about early on in the game as well, must be shattered now!