P&B Ranks: The Top 42 Video Games of All-Time

Miguel Sanchez

Just now, Mark Connolly said:

4 for me.

Not particularly surprised this time round, I can't imagine many other played Sim Golf!

I've played it!  I quite enjoyed it but I kept making golf courses that were either way too hard (and players got mad) or way too easy (and players got bored)

3 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

I've played it!  I quite enjoyed it but I kept making golf courses that were either way too hard (and players got mad) or way too easy (and players got bored)

Wealthy heiress Ivana Richman is playing your course today

4 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I had absolutely no idea sim golf existed. Actually looks really good 

I still have my original windows CD but can't get it to run properly, so I downloaded it from here and installed it on an XP virtual machine. Still play it now and again

Mad that three Metal Gear Solids haven't made the top hitters list especially 2 or 3. Maybe because it's been years since the franchise died but 2 and 3 might be the best single player experiences I've ever had.

Halo 3's campaign was class anaw. Fighting the Scarabs on 4 player co-op and trying to drive to the Forward Unto Dawn at the end is still class.

My experience with Alien Isolation is downloading it every year or so, playing it for 45 minutes, briefly encountering the Xenomorph, uninstalling the game for another year so and having dreams about the Alien for a solid week after. That game is too much, man!

Respect Hello Games for actually making No Man's Sky something approaching what they hoped. Not my thing it turns out but it's good they got an audience for it after the initial (somewhat deserved) backlash.

Not commenting on Bioshock Infinite as I deeply loved it at the time and fully hate thinking about some of the plot points and takes 8 years later.

17 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

To add to the talk about old Grand Theft Autos, there's a game called American Fugitive which is heavily inspired by the original top-down style:

Looks really good tbf if a little repetitive. But uness you can handbrake skid blood tracks all over the road, I'm out 

Big shout to whoever picked XIII. What a game! I have a copy in the flat now. I got it for 99p out of CEX hoping it would work on the Xbox360. It did not, alas!

I voted for Monkey Island 2. Seems I wasn't alone. Its brilliant. I got it on the Xbox360 a couple of years back. Whilst they remastered the graphics, you can hit a button to switch back to the original ones at any time. That ending though...

I also voted for Crash Team Racing because it is awesome. I am awesome at it.

Without even having played it in about fifteen years, I can say that GTA3 will have aged very badly, but it's undoubtedly the most influential of the series, and had publishers running about trying to come up with their own knock-offs for years. The first game was a big deal on the PS1, but it was a bit of a pain in the arse to play, and DMA did an amazing job not only in transferring it to 3D, but in refining the gameplay and bringing in the overarching cinematic story. It really felt like a big leap forward for video games at the time of release.

• Is the poster @XIII still kicking about? Automatically assumed that vote was from them!
  • I remember RE3 being slightly disappointing after the first two, and feeling a bit brief by comparison, but the graphics were great (for the time) and it was still a good game.
  • Monkey Island 1 & 2 are just the best of a long-dead genre, and still feel fresh to play. Every now and then Ron Gilbert pops back up to express interest in making a proper sequel to them, so we just have to hope that Disney surrenders the rights before he carks it, or we'll never find out what the secret of Monkey Island is.
  • Disgraceful that System Shock 2 only got one vote from...a mystery voter. The game had a massive influence on the action-RPG genre, despite being hugely flawed and having a class system that only really works for a single class. The graphics are just awful these days, although there are a variety of add-ons that greatly improve that aspect. The sound design is terrific, and it absolutely drips with haunting atmosphere; just turn off the soundtrack, as it detracts greatly.
    I played through it again on Hard last year, only to start all over again on Impossible immediately. It's just so fucking good, despite all the shit like ridiculous weapon degradation and the last-minute ending, and one of the joys of playing through Prey a couple of years back was that the developers were obviously head-over-heels in love with SS2.
    @Miguel Sanchez - you might want to wait until the remake of the original System Shock comes out, as they're releasing an 'Enhanced Edition' of System Shock 2 at the same time - rebuilt on a new engine, and with add-ons like VR support. The remake of SS1 looks like it's coming along nicely too, judging by the demo.
  • I've tried playing Alien Isolation three times and drifted away each time, as it needs you to have some alone time in a quiet environment, which I never have, so I'm always just guessing where the alien is. It looks great though, and my only gripe has been that the environmental controls, used to distract enemies, never seem to work quite as well as I'd like. But that might just be me being shit.
  • The original Champ Man was one of the more interesting football management games of the time, but Premier Manager had it beat. Both games had unbeatable formations however; I think playing something like 1-3-6 on Champ Man totally fucked the AI  :lol:
  • There's been a lot said about how the plot for Bioshock Infinite is just baby's first sci-fi, but it's told so well that it really doesn't matter, and I don't think I've ever felt so emotionally involved in a video game; I was mentally applauding by the time the credits rolled. The game's greatest achievement is possibly that I didn't notice that I wasn't really enjoying the gameplay until a second run through; despite the addition of the sky-line combat, it's easily the least fun of the series.

4 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

We've talked about the System Shock remake before. I'll believe it when I see it.

What, that it might be good, or that it's coming out at all?

Apparently it's coming out in May, and there's a good couple of hours of gameplay in the demo. Doesn't look as good as SS2, but that's unsurprising as they've been going for a faithful remake on a modern engine, rather than trying to update it.

Edit: still desperate to hear if Warren Spector's still working on System Shock 3, now that it's been rescued by Tencent.

Edited by BFTD