Next Ayr United manager

3 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Can’t be as much of an anti-climax as the reaction on here was when Mark Kerr was appointed. 

I remember when he got appointed and a Dunfermline fan put a photo up. I genuinely thought it was him when he first came as a player.   

6 minutes ago, Ayr23 said:

McIntyre was 2/1, I suspect a few people will have backed that today.

He was 1/2 yesterday, just goes to prove no one knows who it’s going to be , Hopkin was still getting bets this morning , just goes to show that it’s all guess work by the bookmakers 

Edited by Robbo63

Can rule him out 

His Twitter profile is embarrassing. The replies to his Tweets about applying for the job, and then that there are hilarious. He, and his followers have no concept about the job. They're all saying it's our loss!

21 minutes ago, Honestmen said:

I'm away to google Petrie, I was all for Darren Young, then McIntyre

Petrie is easily the best manager in the lower leagues IMO. I really am surprised he's not been offered more full time gigs as the job he's done at Montrose is excellent. I don't know why Darren Young gets touted about so much, probably because he's young and hasn't completely ruined his career but he hasn't really achieved anything at East Fife and he's had a good squad there for the last couple of years, if not longer. I'd probably have McIntyre over Young tbh. 

21 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Petrie is easily the best manager in the lower leagues IMO. I really am surprised he's not been offered more full time gigs as the job he's done at Montrose is excellent. 

Has there been many jobs that would fit?

I'm sure I've seen it mentioned he earns a fortune at his other job. So any smaller full time side likely won't hold any appeal, while larger full time sides likely won't go for a manager who's never been above League 1 if they're in/near the Premiership.

Really small window of clubs Petrie could really end up at. Ayr probably a good fit for both.

I'm sure I've seen it mentioned he earns a fortune at his other job. So any smaller full time side likely won't hold any appeal, while larger full time sides likely won't go for a manager who's never been above League 1 if they're in/near the Premiership.
Really small window of clubs Petrie could really end up at. Ayr probably a good fit for both.

If we were really pushing the boat out and offered him a platform to get to a bigger club then we might be appealing to him.

He might be looking at the Dunfermline job and seeing himself as a shoe in with them likely to part ways with Crawford in the summer.

Petrie has a good job outside of football and at this moment in time does not want to give it up. That job sees him based in Dundee. He'd have been away from Montrose by now if he wanted to go full time.

Will be astonished if he is the new manager of Ayr in all honesty. Having pinched Alex Stuart (one of Montrose's all-time great managers and older fans argue, the greatest) in the 1970s I can't see history repeating itself in 2021.

McIntyre or Hopkin aren't great options IMO but are far more likely. Either that or it's a curveball candidate no one knows about.

48 minutes ago, Honestmen said:

Won't take a big bet to move the odds

Personally don't like to read too much into the betting odds for managers unless there is a sudden and huge shift. I mean Skybet have just been caught out by Aberdeen fans making up a name who was at 12/1 this morning.

34 minutes ago, Ayr23 said:

His Twitter profile is embarrassing. The replies to his Tweets about applying for the job, and then that there are hilarious. He, and his followers have no concept about the job. They're all saying it's our loss!

"Me nan could play in that league" Engerland lot that don't have a clue about how football works. Best ignored. 

3 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Petrie has a good job outside of football and at this moment in time does not want to give it up. That job sees him based in Dundee. He'd have been away from Montrose by now if he wanted to go full time.

I would love to see him in charge at EEP if (when) Crawford makes an arse of this season. Think the Pars job would be too hard for him to turn down. 

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Stevie Aitken earned a fortune in his other job too but it didn't stop him throwing himself at every full time gig going. Of course every person is different and if Petrie is happy at Montrose and coining it in through his other work then fair enough. I'd argue any full time side in the country is a good fit for him, any team who wants to focus on youth would be great for him - Petrie has brought some young guys on really well at Montrose. 

3 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Has he been offered full time gigs and knocked it back already?

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Has he been offered full time gigs and knocked it back already?

Possibly, I can't say for sure. I had thought he was a candidate for the Pars job when Stevie C was appointed in early 19. The rest has been paper talk as far as I can see.

Anyway enough hijacking, I hope Ayr get a decent candidate to take the club forward, as long as it isn't Petrie. Good club.

I was at Kilbowie as a neutral for Simon Stainrod's first game in charge in what- 92? 93? Huge Ayr support there that day and the fedora-wearing Yorkshire showboater came on with about 20 minutes to go to an adoring reception. Didn't work out as he signed loads of duds and it ended bitterly.

4 minutes ago, Mattmc said:

Stephen Farrell been linked at all?

Word was Ayr were interested last time round.  Last season probably didn't help him much. 

A Stranraer fan pushing his manager for a vacant job, lol

Is there something about Petrie that I'm missing (and I may well be), however in reading the past few pages I've got the impression that he's being seen as some sort of Mourinho or Ancelotti but would only appear to have taken Montrose to a League 2 title as his major highlight.

Not saying he's useless or anything but surely would be much more of a gamble than the likes of a McIntyre or a Hopkin type character ???

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

Is there something about Petrie that I'm missing (and I may well be), however in reading the past few pages I've got the impression that he's being seen as some sort of Mourinho or Ancelotti but would only appear to have taken Montrose to a League 2 title as his major highlight.

Not saying he's useless or anything but surely would be much more of a gamble than the likes of a McIntyre or a Hopkin type character ???

That’s quite an achievement for Montrose