Next Ayr United manager

2 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Wouldn't be against Hopkin too much but unsure why he would apply for the job the same season as leaving his beloved Morton, just seems a bit odd

He left them due to club’s financial difficulties to save them a salary was the rumour 

Could this be the reason it’s taken so long as Morton have been working in the background to replace McElhone, I find it strange they have announced a new manager tonight and we are announcing ours in morning 

Who is he going to bring then, has he not always had McElhone?

At Bradford and Morton, yes. The guy has had a good career though so I’d imagine he’d be able to bring in someone else to assist him.
I think that says 'give us some money to release him' tbh.

I really don’t want us to be spending money on a glorified PE teacher tbh.

Well, I certainly wasn't expecting to find out about a new Morton manager from this thread.

Happy to have an actual manager, not particularly happy with the choice.

I wouldn't read anything into the Morton statement re: McElhone staying. Unlikely.

I'm presuming it's not linked to us and our search at all.  

Unless they were banking on us getting Hopkin & him wanting Anton with him, and either, he doesn't or we haven't gone for Hopkin. 

3 minutes ago, Iain said:

Mr Smith is certainly very easily impressed if a host of incredible names applied and Hopkin was the best of them.

There probably was better candidates however they were probably too expensive in terms of wages and playing budget they'd have been looking for

Without wanting to write off whoever it is before they’re even in the door I’ll be pretty underwhelmed if it’s Hopkin. Maybe a bit less so if there’s a DoF type brought in.

I’d prefer McIntyre if it’s a choice between the two.

5 minutes ago, rb123! said:

The closer it gets to an announcement the more i hope it's not hopkin

Was never that sure, just the way Morton were playing before he left and also the seemed improvement in Livingston since he left

Edited by ryanayr1987

3 minutes ago, rb123! said:

There probably was better candidates however they were probably too expensive in terms of wages and playing budget they'd have been looking for

Managers  who applied would have a rough idea of salary and budgets , they would not have applied if they thought they could not work within those perimeters , don’t think he will be going with cheapest option going by his ambitions 

12 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I'm presuming it's not linked to us and our search at all.  

Unless they were banking on us getting Hopkin & him wanting Anton with him, and either, he doesn't or we haven't gone for Hopkin. 

Really? The night before we announce? Surely too much of a coincidence.

4 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Managers  who applied would have a rough idea of salary and budgets , they would not have applied if they thought they could not work within those perimeters , don’t think he will be going with cheapest option going by his ambitions 

I would say Hopkin is an expensive appointment and underwhelming at the same time