Alan McGregor

With David Marshall out with a back injury (albeit it doesn't seem as serious as it was first feared), would asking the question of whether or not Alan Mcgregor would come to the euros be a decent idea  ?

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-injury-latest-david-5057891

If memory serves, he retired to prolong his club career (a la McArthur et al ) however not only are we only in this position because of his heroic save v Israel in the Nations league (in the Forrest game), but keepers can play right in to their late 30s-early 40s (for instance, Leighton played in 98 when he was 41).

His form for Rangers this season has been great. 

Would Clarke be in a position to entice him out of retirement for the tournament as back up for Marshy ? 

We also need a keeper for Austria ... 

Edited by greenockraver

I don't think McGregor would be interested in coming out of international retirement to back up a keeper that's clearly worse than him, and I don't think Clarke would drop Marshall for McGregor.

If Marshall's injury rules him out of the Euros then it becomes a different story. We can't go into the Euros with a keeper from the Scottish Championship.

1 minute ago, G51 said:

I don't think McGregor would be interested in coming out of international retirement to back up a keeper that's clearly worse than him, and I don't think Clarke would drop Marshall for McGregor.

If Marshall's injury rules him out of the Euros then it becomes a different story. We can't go into the Euros with a keeper from the Scottish Championship.

I'd usually agree with the first sentence but with it being the Euros he could potentially be swayed.

McGregor is a top quality keeper but he's always one minor incident away from having a total heads gone.

I would be happy with this. No issues with an older fringe player stepping aside when he's not playing to prolong their club career and the chance of playing tournament football would surely appeal to him.

I think he is deserving of it as well, he was always been committed to Scotland even though we had him, Gordon and Marshall all competing for places, it would have been easy for any one of these guys to spit the dummy when not playing but they all showed up.

10 minutes ago, G51 said:

He'll go with McLaughlin surely if Marshall doesn't make it?

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Gordon got the start v Slovakia in November, so I assume he's Clarke's No. 2.

McLaughlin will likely get plenty of starts in the next few weeks, so who knows if that makes Clarke change his mind.

I don't fancy going into the Euros with Gordon. He's done at the top level.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Gordon is miles better than McLaughlin. I'm not sure McLaughlin will definitely make the squad this summer given the lack of football he's had.

As for McGregor, he's an excellent goalkeeper, probably even slightly better than Marshall, but I think it's a very bad precedent to set if you let players back who spat the dummy so publicly. I doubt he'll want to play anyway.

20 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Gordon is miles better than McLaughlin. I'm not sure McLaughlin will definitely make the squad this summer given the lack of football he's had.

As for McGregor, he's an excellent goalkeeper, probably even slightly better than Marshall, but I think it's a very bad precedent to set if you let players back who spat the dummy so publicly. I doubt he'll want to play anyway.

you say "spitting the dummy out". I suggest that most reasonable observers would say that speaking to the manager before announcing retirement at the age of 37 ahead of a qualifying campaign (so as not to cause disruption) would be quite the proper way to go about things:

“At this stage in my career, and rather than cause any disruption in the middle of a campaign, I feel now is the best moment to step away from international football,” McGregor told the Guardian.

“Playing for Scotland was always an honour and this wasn’t an easy decision to make. I want to wish all the management and players the best for the future. I’d love to see them reach a tournament.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

It's not going to be stated publicly, is it? The incident was less than a month before his "shock" retirement, and actually did come in the middle of a campaign despite his statement suggesting otherwise.

but you are presenting as fact so you would need to corroborate with something at least beyond what may be convenient timing.

Re your second assertion that McGregor falsely claimed to be retiring in the middle of a campaign,  I am pretty sure McGregor announced his retirement in Feb or March 2019 a few weeks before the first Euro 2020 qualifier away to Kazakstan where we got well and truly horsed. This was Shinnie at right back if I recall correctly. McLeish was gone after follow-up the laboured win against San Marino in the second game and Clarke came in for the Cyprus (?) game which was the third qualifier. 

We had already qualified through the backdoor route for the Euro play-offs in beating Israel in November 2018 with of course McGregor's memorable save to seal the win. 

By the by, for what it is worth, he is an erse of a man. You only need to look at his behaviour under Burley and his reaction to anyone coming within 5m of him week in/week out. But despite his faults, I consider he handled his retirement from international football well, including the timing. 

1 hour ago, KingRocketman II said:

but you are presenting as fact so you would need to corroborate with something at least beyond what may be convenient timing.

Re your second assertion that McGregor falsely claimed to be retiring in the middle of a campaign,  I am pretty sure McGregor announced his retirement in Feb or March 2019 a few weeks before the first Euro 2020 qualifier away to Kazakstan where we got well and truly horsed. This was Shinnie at right back if I recall correctly. McLeish was gone after follow-up the laboured win against San Marino in the second game and Clarke came in for the Cyprus (?) game which was the third qualifier. 

We had already qualified through the backdoor route for the Euro play-offs in beating Israel in November 2018 with of course McGregor's memorable save to seal the win. 

By the by, for what it is worth, he is an erse of a man. You only need to look at his behaviour under Burley and his reaction to anyone coming within 5m of him week in/week out. But despite his faults, I consider he handled his retirement from international football well, including the timing. 

I'm not presenting it as a fact, you simply chose to read it that way. However, it was very widely speculated as such at the time, and it is very clear to me that this was indeed part of a big huff.

McGregor did retire in the middle of a campaign, because he took part in the Nations League games which were part of Euro 2020 qualifying, then slinked off before the proper qualifiers started. If his actual concern had been about minimising the disruption, he would have retired immediately after the World Cup qualifiers, and definitely wouldn't have hung around for four more games.

Craig Gordon is more than suitable. We don't need to go crawling back.

I'm more worried about long term. McCrorie was probably biggest hope and he's looking pish for Livi.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'm not presenting it as a fact, you simply chose to read it that way. However, it was very widely speculated as such at the time, and it is very clear to me that this was indeed part of a big huff.

McGregor did retire in the middle of a campaign, because he took part in the Nations League games which were part of Euro 2020 qualifying, then slinked off before the proper qualifiers started. If his actual concern had been about minimising the disruption, he would have retired immediately after the World Cup qualifiers, and definitely wouldn't have hung around for four more games.

Widely speculated on the streets of Kilmarnock were it is irelivent mean while in civilisastion and in the polite chattering classes over breakfast this wasn't mutied or was it a topic over the table or the water cooler at work 

5 minutes ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

If any of the likes likes of McGregor, Brown, McArthur and Snodgrass try to crawl out the woodwork years after their "retirement" they should be told to f**k right off.

Snodgrass hasn't retired he has said he would come back if he was ever needed but would rather give the younger players a chance 

Still playing in the English premier at 34 someone any young player should be aspiring to 

Another new thread for a bitter Ayr fan to reddy me with 

I really don't care you know

Edited by Tartan Tammy 1297