Alan McGregor

19 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'm not presenting it as a fact, you simply chose to read it that way.

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The actual reason he quit international football was because the SFA gave him a retrospective ban for a bad tackle on Lewis Ferguson and he didn't like it.

😀😀Okay. 

19 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

McGregor did retire in the middle of a campaign, because he took part in the Nations League games which were part of Euro 2020 qualifying, then slinked off before the proper qualifiers started. If his actual concern had been about minimising the disruption, he would have retired immediately after the World Cup qualifiers, and definitely wouldn't have hung around for four more games.

so the Nations League and the Euro 2020 qualifiers are the same.? 😀😀

I'll let you enjoy the rest of your day. 

Just now, gannonball said:

You seriously need it explained as to why a player singing the opponents national anthem would be embarrassing?

I mean specifically for you? You don't support scotland.

If an Irish player sang a different national anthem I would find it strange. But I wouldn't feel embarrassed, why would I. Its nothing to do with me.

3 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I mean specifically for you? You don't support scotland.

If an Irish player sang a different national anthem I would find it strange. But I wouldn't feel embarrassed, why would I. Its nothing to do with me.

I would be embarrassed for anybody in this situation tbh. 
ETA - anyway it was in jest and trying to fit in where Im from in to the situation is a bit cringeworthy as well imo.

Edited by gannonball

I don't fancy going into the Euros with Gordon. He's done at the top level.

Have you seen a singular game with Gordon this season? I assume not as hes been our best player by a country mile and I certainly wouldn't say he's done at the top level.

Marshall is rightly so the first choice and Gordon is a good keeper to have as back up.

1 hour ago, Empty It said:

Have you seen a singular game with Gordon this season? I assume not as hes been our best player by a country mile and I certainly wouldn't say he's done at the top level.

Marshall is rightly so the first choice and Gordon is a good keeper to have as back up.

Yes, I have.

Being the best player in an average Championship side isn’t getting my juices flowing. I don’t really care how many saves he makes against Arbroath.

45 minutes ago, G51 said:

Yes, I have.

Being the best player in an average Championship side isn’t getting my juices flowing. I don’t really care how many saves he makes against Arbroath.

😀 nice to meet a fellow goalkeeping aficionado ......

19 hours ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

If any of the likes likes of McGregor, Brown, McArthur and Snodgrass try to crawl out the woodwork years after their "retirement" they should be told to f**k right off.

McGregor at least still has something to offer us - a dependable option in goal. Brown, McArthur and Snodgrass on the other hand...

Yes, I have.
Clearly you haven't seen much as some of the saves he's pulled off have been outstanding even if it is against "diddy teams"

4 minutes ago, Empty It said:
4 hours ago, G51 said:
Yes, I have.

Clearly you haven't seen much as some of the saves he's pulled off have been outstanding even if it is against "diddy teams"

The numbers indicate that Gordon has basically conceded in line with what you'd expect him to concede (per 90 mins: xGC 0.99, goals conceded 1.00).

Numbers aren't perfect when it comes to keepers, but they're generally fairly indicative. If he's making all these outstanding saves, he must be letting in plenty of soft goals too.

Similar data profiles for the other contenders in their respective leagues (all P90 figures):

McGregor: xGC 0.53, goals conceded 0.3

Marshall: xGC 1.08, goals conceded 1.05

McLaughlin: xGC 0.46, goals conceded 0.21

McCrorie (not a realistic option but we'll do it for fun anyway): xGC 1.49, goals conceded 1.61.

For anyone interested, xGC = post-shot xG that the goalkeeper faced.

The numbers indicate that Gordon has basically conceded in line with what you'd expect him to concede (per 90 mins: xGC 0.99, goals conceded 1.00).
Numbers aren't perfect when it comes to keepers, but they're generally fairly indicative. If he's making all these outstanding saves, he must be letting in plenty of soft goals too.
Similar data profiles for the other contenders in their respective leagues (all P90 figures):
McGregor: xGC 0.53, goals conceded 0.3
Marshall: xGC 1.08, goals conceded 1.05
McLaughlin: xGC 0.46, goals conceded 0.21
McCrorie (not a realistic option but we'll do it for fun anyway): xGC 1.49, goals conceded 1.61.
For anyone interested, xGC = post-shot xG that the goalkeeper faced.

I've not seen any soft goals conceded really, I'd like to see any keepers xGC with our bombscare defence and it works the same way with McGregor having a pretty solid defence in front of him.

2 minutes ago, Empty It said:

I've not seen any soft goals conceded really, I'd like to see any keepers xGC with our bombscare defence and it works the same way with McGregor having a pretty solid defence in front of him.

The main takeaway isn't the low overall numbers, it's the difference between the two numbers given.

Good keepers save more than they're expected to. If Gordon was conceding a goal a game, but he was expected to concede two, then you'd say he was pretty good.

You wouldn't mind it so much if he was producing these numbers in a decent league, like Marshall is. But he isn't.

17 minutes ago, G51 said:

The main takeaway isn't the low overall numbers, it's the difference between the two numbers given.

Good keepers save more than they're expected to. If Gordon was conceding a goal a game, but he was expected to concede two, then you'd say he was pretty good.

You wouldn't mind it so much if he was producing these numbers in a decent league, like Marshall is. But he isn't.

I always liked the East German logic of placing their best keeper at the DDR equivalent of Hamilton so he’d at least be kept busy.

3 minutes ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

I've always thought this sort of thinking doesn't really make sense for goalkeepers. 

What makes the average shot from say a Dundee player harder to save than the average shot from a St Johnstone player? Is there really that much of a discernible difference in the quality with which players of those teams strike a ball? If you compared two identical saves, one from a Premiership striker and one from a Championship striker, is the latter somehow less impressive? 

Perhaps just me. Goalie is the only position that I'd be completely fine with a Championship player filling. 

Well St Johnstone players are generally better, so the difference is in power and placement.

If it was all the same, then the best players at finishing in League 1 and 2 would also be the best players at finishing in the Premiership.

12 minutes ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

But is there actually any evidence that shows, by default, they are worse at the specific act of striking a ball? It's only one tiny part of the massive subset of skills that make up a footballer. I'd be quite confident in saying there are definitely some players in the lower leagues that are better finishers than some strikers in the Premiership, despite being considerably shiter at almost every other aspect of the game. 

Short answer, yes.

Long answer, there have been no studies specifically on the Scottish leagues, but efforts to quantify finishing skill have been made in other leagues. Details here: https://statsbomb.com/2017/07/quantifying-finishing-skill/