Sarah Everard

I saw a documentary some years ago about the families of murderers and the like. It was interviewing them to see the effect that finding out a loved one had done these crimes had on their families. 

One guy on it was Peter Sutcliffe's dad. He was talking about how his son had seemed normal but a bit quiet, and how they would often go to the pub together and do very ordinary things. Then at work one day a colleague asked him if he had a brother called Peter because the police had arrested a Peter Sutcliffe.  The guy said no, but he had a son...

I really wish I could remember what that documentary was. It was very interesting. 

2 hours ago, RiG said:

Can Couzens appeal this sentence and what are the chances of a successful appeal? Minimal hopefully if he does do it.

Would have thought he will appeal at least once almost no chance of its going through even if it was downgraded to what 40/50 years there is little chance of him coming back out being in high security jail is hardly ideal conditions to live a long life.

Will appeal and will likely get a minimum term of 20+ years. Can’t see him ever getting passed a parole board and out though.
Double a whole of life tariff will stand up in an appeal court given he plead guilty and it’s a first conviction for violence.

6 minutes ago, Lex said:

Will appeal and will likely get a minimum term of 20+ years. Can’t see him ever getting passed a parole board and out though.
Double a whole of life tariff will stand up in an appeal court given he plead guilty and it’s a first conviction for violence.

If they let Colin Pitchfork out, they can let this guy out as well.

11 minutes ago, Lex said:

Starting point for murders involving sex is 30 years.  If he did successfully appeal his sentence I'd expect that to be the minimum.  He'd be knocking on 80 when eligible for parole and playing devils advocate here how many 80 year olds would be deemed at risk of kidnapping, raping and murdering young women?

Can't see him winning an appeal against his sentence though.  Being a serving police office and using that fact to facilitate his crime is surely enough of an aggravating factor to justify the whole life term.

25 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Starting point for murders involving sex is 30 years.  If he did successfully appeal his sentence I'd expect that to be the minimum.  He'd be knocking on 80 when eligible for parole and playing devils advocate here how many 80 year olds would be deemed at risk of kidnapping, raping and murdering young women?

Can't see him winning an appeal against his sentence though.  Being a serving police office and using that fact to facilitate his crime is surely enough of an aggravating factor to justify the whole life term.

Suspect his defence team will lodge an appeal - not that there's any chance of him winning, just that it would be a nice little earner for them.

Just now, Miguel Sanchez said:

I don't get it. Men tweet about different things on the same day?

Yes, if only there was a thing everyone knows about Cristiano Ronaldo that might cause someone to pause before tweeting gushing praise of him the same day they're performing their upset about violence towards women 

3 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Yes, if only there was a thing everyone knows about Cristiano Ronaldo that might cause someone to pause before tweeting gushing praise of him the same day they're performing their upset about violence towards women 

2 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I assume it’s that he’s disgusted by violence towards women in one instance, but happy to deify a (alleged) rapist in the next. 

Not to come over all Chedwyn Evans on this but aside from Ronaldo not actually being a convicted rapist and murderer (although I was unaware that a woman this year is looking for 56 million from him), I'm not sure what people making non-points like this is supposed to achieve. 

3 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Not to come over all Chedwyn Evans on this but aside from Ronaldo not actually being a convicted rapist and murderer (although I was unaware that a woman this year is looking for 56 million from him), I'm not sure what people making non-points like this is supposed to achieve. 

I think it's pretty straightforward tbh mate, the "non-point" is that it's a good illustration of the way many (most?) men behave around these issues, completely forgetting about it as soon as it's convenient to them, which as I initially pointed out is also reflected in the replies. And I'm not sure why posts on the internet have to achieve anything really, although I understand you take your gaming reviews very seriously

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Does having a wife and kids really mean anything though? It's a weird idyllic value that we've put on society, that simply having a wife and kids must mean you're at least some level of a decent guy, but it beautifully ignores the fact that a high number of psycho/sociopaths can easily hold down what looks like a normal life to the rest of us. It's what they do, imitate and manipulate. Media likes to paint pictures of murderers being loners/abused/mentally ill to make the normal people in society feel better about their life, it scares people to think that "a good family man" could ever do such a thing, but they do these things all the time. 

Yeah good point, although i would still assume men who had a wife/kids in the house would be up to other things other than murdering lonely vulnerable women. I just don’t know what to believe anymore. 

4 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I accept that, but I also think that the Police aren’t a normal employer and that, due to the position of power they are put in, they have an extra responsibility when it comes to ensuring everyone in their employ is fit to be there.

I absolutely agree with you. Also think the Met needs to address why nothing was done about those allegations of indecent exposure a few days before, thats a massive failing, the fact he was still able to carry firearms is a massive massive failing here. This to me indicates that what we need is a professional body to investigate not only police but allegations of corruption or abuse of power, IPCC in England is a shambles of an organisation with a clear anti-police agenda, but a properly functioning law enforcement body acting independent, which is empowered to investigate police and other public sector employees is very much needed, ie MP’s, Doctors, Teachers etc. Call it the National Safeguarding Agency or something. 

4 hours ago, throbber said:

Do you think if they confronted him he would have admitted he joined the police so he could one day use his position to murder women who were walking home alone at night? 

I dont think he joined with the mindset of eventually committing murder, but I do think he would have joined for the wrong reasons, all the offending we’ve heard about is about him having power over his victims, thats a massive fucking red flag and something that I know up here at least (although im sure there will be posters here who disagree) is flagged up big time when these attitudes emerge on the street. Tackleberry’s. Theres a difference between the ‘bullied at school’ stuff that football fans say and people who are sociopaths and thats a very very important distinction to make. The idea above about a safeguarding service in charge of vetting is for me the answer. 

3 hours ago, microdave said:

He probably thought he would get away with it as he was a police officer and therefore, untouchable. The c**t.

I think he did think he’d get away with it in the days before it, he genuinely did, im not sure why as everything he did is like the complete opposite of how to get away with it. I think he expected some kind of sexual gratification from it because of his actions before and during, but perhaps didnt get the release he thought he would. My big worry there is that he could have killed again quite quickly after it chasing that gratification. Every action he took though just defies logic, im not saying its logical to kill someone, but im saying, strip away the emotion from it, look at what he did, hire a car in his own name, abduct someone in plain sight despite knowing bus cctv would be reviewed, eye witnesses would see what happened, then the actions afterwards, disposing of her phone the way he did and a few other things that if he had a clue about telecoms (which im sure he must have) again defies logic. Then taking her to his own property? Its as if he didnt care if he got caught or his own psychopathic behaviour made him think he wouldnt get caught?  

1 hour ago, Namond Brice said:

We should be looking at laws that ensure serving polis are sentenced to the maximum tariffs for crimes committed whilst hiding behind a badge and uniform.

Yep absolutely agree, something like that needs to happen. Police should be held to a higher level of accountability.

24 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I think it's pretty straightforward tbh mate, the "non-point" is that it's a good illustration of the way many (most?) men behave around these issues, completely forgetting about it as soon as it's convenient to them, which as I initially pointed out is also reflected in the replies. And I'm not sure why posts on the internet have to achieve anything really, although I understand you take your gaming reviews very seriously

To be clear I meant posts like the tweet quoted, not yours. I had also forgotten Ronaldo had been accused of rape, which is either a comment on how little interest I have in European football or how little impact male violence against women actually has outside of the especially graphic cases.

Trying to decry people (I realise it's Piers Morgan who is a moron) as equally uninterested in society's treatment of women because of two cases as disparate as this one doesn't achieve anything because it's not making a point. It's basically the Yet You Participate in Society - I Am Very Intelligent comic as if every accusation of wrongdoing is comparable, regardless of the actual legal status of them, and the person (or "men" in this instance as he now represents them) is now completely worthless because they don't make being performative about women's rights/safety part of every thought they have. 

I know there's a couple of people on here that work in the prison service (WhiteRoseKillie?). I know the prison officers will act with professionalism but what is life going to be like for this guy inside? Is he looking at a lifetime in near isolation due to him being a walking target or are we just assuming this is the case?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Yep absolutely agree, something like that needs to happen. Police should be held to a higher level of accountability.

ICR, isn't it the case in Scotland that officers have to act in pairs before they can make an arrest?

I