Sarah Everard

This tweets been deleted but it was in response to the viral clip of the guy with a man bun talking on BBC News - an ex girlfriend posting that he was emotionally and sexually abusive during their relationship.

I’m genuinely shocked, nee amazed, that the male feminist with a TV slot and a book coming out has turned out to be an abusive arsehole!

Edited by ICTChris

50 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I mentioned with my very first post on page 1 of this thread, that police were anxious to stress that Wayne Couzins was off duty when he became involved with Sarah Everard. I don't see how it could in any way be relevant, but the police almost seemed to be suggesting that because he was off duty at the time, it was somehow a mitigating factor and he wasn't really acting as a police officer at the time. 

Ah right, in that case I agree with you, it doesn’t make a difference if he was on/off duty. Some of the earlier reports suggested he had used his police credentials/vehicle as part of it, but unsure if that’s been proven to be the case or not.

55 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I mentioned with my very first post on page 1 of this thread, that police were anxious to stress that Wayne Couzins was off duty when he became involved with Sarah Everard. I don't see how it could in any way be relevant, but the police almost seemed to be suggesting that because he was off duty at the time, it was somehow a mitigating factor and he wasn't really acting as a police officer at the time. 

I got impression that they were alluding to fact that he wasn't in uniform to reassure that he hadn't used that to trick her. Retain trust in police etc. Obviously that was when the Met were still trying to protect public confidence. 

As an aside to the on/off duty thing. My employers make it clear that I am a representative of the company even when not in office. This applies more to social media in reality. But I know I'd be on immediate suspension if I'd got PC Plum out in the middle of McDs. 

Edited by PWL

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Interesting thread from an FT journalist on this subject. I’m not sure what to make of it.

The film and TV analogies are weird, though she's broadly right with the point being made: men are generally physically stronger than woman are. If attacked in the street, we have a much better chance of fighting off the attacker or escaping. That said, I think most women are completely aware of this and I don't think what we've seen in the last couple of days suggests that women have bought into the narrative the writer is suggesting. 

Edited by Michael W

3 hours ago, throbber said:

Not really getting this Rangers whatabouterry either - the Rangers fans were out celebrating something which is obviously going to be a different event to police than a protest specifically against the police themselves.

It was a vigil and, at a push, a peaceful protest against general male violence against women.

Just like almost every instance of "scuffles with the police" (as the BBC so delicately frames it), if they had stayed the f**k away last night, everyone would've gone home happy.

7 minutes ago, PWL said:

I got impression that they were alluding to fact that he wasn't in uniform to reassure that he hadn't used that to trick her. Retain trust in police etc. Obviously that was when the Met were still trying to protect public confidence. 

As an aside to the on/off duty thing. My employers make it clear that I am a representative of the company even when not in office. This applies more to social media in reality. But I know I'd be on immediate suspension if I'd got PC Plum out in the middle of McDs. 

Good point re in/out of uniform. I hadn't thought about that angle.

It would appear that the Met's efforts to protect public confidence in them, might have taken a little bit of a dent last night.

4 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

It was a vigil and, at a push, a peaceful protest against general male violence against women.

Just like almost every instance of "scuffles with the police" (as the BBC so delicately frames it), if they had stayed the f**k away last night, everyone would've gone home happy.

They aren’t really doing their job if they stay away from mass gatherings though are they? Dammed if they do and dammed if they don’t.

24 minutes ago, PWL said:

Who's to say he even worked in uniform, I imagine they have some kind of undercover staff working in the unit he was in, grasping at straws if that's how they are trying to reassure the public

12 minutes ago, Pato said:

Reeks of Thin Blue Line attitude. They'd never admit it but I think they were so heavy handed because they see the prosecution of a police officer as an attack on all police.

I really don't understand why any organisation would consider it as anything against them, there are folk like that in every area of life.

It's not having them in your place that's the problem, it's what you do once you know what they're like that counts. 

Edited by ayrmad

3 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I really don't understand why any organisation would consider it as anything against them, there are folk like that in every area of life, it's not having them in your place that's the problem, it's what you do once you know what they're like that counts. 

Aye and what they do is protect them at all costs because the public image of the police is too precious to have ruined over a small matter like justice for grieving families. :lol:

29 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Ah right, in that case I agree with you, it doesn’t make a difference if he was on/off duty. Some of the earlier reports suggested he had used his police credentials/vehicle as part of it, but unsure if that’s been proven to be the case or not.

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I seem to be taking this differently again, but the stressing he wasn't in uniform is surely to re assure women that everytime they see a policeman out they don't associate that with Sarah? 

How terrifying a situation would it be if the reason he's got the jump on her would be because he's approached her in unform and chucked her in a police car? 

Unfortunately there's scumbags everywhere in the world, unfortunately they get jobs, I don't think it's entirely surprising some will join the police because you will have people able to exert power, what I'd expect is the police to deal with it properly when these scumbags are outed. 

6 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Aye and what they do is protect them at all costs because the public image of the police is too precious to have ruined over a small matter like justice for grieving families. :lol:

I was actually quite impressed with how quickly they'd managed to apprehend one of their own, then they go and f**k it up. 

Absolutely shocked to see Throbber on the cans early and looking for attention. 

The police were clearly heavy handed last night. No surprise if you've lived in London for any long period of time to see the Met behaving that way. Also insane that Cressida Dick is still in a job (and indeed was promoted) after the murder of Jean Charles de Menezes and the smear campaign after. 

7 minutes ago, Pato said:

Me neither, but the Thin Blue Line thing is a concerning sign that some police are developing an unhealthy us and them attitude. Not a good thing when we're supposed to be policed by consent. One of the officers who arrested that old lady the other week was wearing a TBL badge, which has at least for some forces been banned as it's seen as a political statement.

Unfortunately there are a sizeable minority of police officers who've joined for the wrong reasons, crossed paths with quite a few knobs with a badge over the years, I also know a lot of current and retired cops of all ranks that seem to be sound. 

16 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I was actually quite impressed with how quickly they'd managed to apprehend one of their own, then they go and f**k it up. 

The reason he was caught so quickly was because he was caught twice on different buses cctv talking to her on the pavement with his car parked at the road.

He was on duty an hour before so while he was not in a poice car it is possible he used his warrant card to stop her