Sarah Everard

This might just be me, and might well belong in PTTGOYN, but..

The lovely Cressida has just been giving a statement to the press. Along with the acceptance that all murder victims are the absolute best folk, she said, "Sarah had her whole life ahead of her."

No, she fucking didn't. She was 33. Obviously this is a figure of speech, but it's use should surely be limited to those <ten years or so?

Fo the avoidance of doubt, I'm glad this knobhead is coming into the System as I prepare to take my leave from same.  The victim also appears to have been a decent and popular person. I just think we generally kid ourselves occasionally that cúnts don't get murdered. 

5 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

The lovely Cressida has just been giving a statement to the press. Along with the acceptance that all murder victims are the absolute best folk, she said, "Sarah had her whole life ahead of her."

No, she fucking didn't. She was 33. Obviously this is a figure of speech, but it's use should surely be limited to those <ten years or so?

Fo the avoidance of doubt, I'm glad this knobhead is coming into the System as I prepare to take my leave from same.  The victim also appears to have been a decent and popular person. I just think we generally kid ourselves occasionally that cúnts don't get murdered. 

Tbh it would be a strange press conference for the head of the Met to say, Actually if you think about it Sarah was past her peak in life and will miss the collapse of our economy and climate really she was actually quite lucky.

5 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I'm often interested in the things we say about things like this.  Would it be better if Couzans had raped and murdered a 90 year old, who had a good innings?  The other thing people talk about is "innocent victims".  Surely the act of what you do is wrong, regardless of the victim?  Are there guilty victims?

I assume this guys life in prison is going to be fairly cursed - an ex copper sex offender doesn't seem likely to be the most popular of inmates, although I guess there are all sorts of awful people in prison.

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I'm often interested in the things we say about things like this.  Would it be better if Couzans had raped and murdered a 90 year old, who had a good innings?  The other thing people talk about is "innocent victims".  Surely the act of what you do is wrong, regardless of the victim?  Are there guilty victims?

I assume this guys life in prison is going to be fairly cursed - an ex copper sex offender doesn't seem likely to be the most popular of inmates, although I guess there are all sorts of awful people in prison.

Oh, the combination of offence  and profession will guarantee him a warm welcome on the landings, no doubt about it. He's far from unique, though - four ex-staff who I worked alongside ended up in jail: three for bringing drugs into jail and one for a series of rapes. There's bad apples in every barrel, I suppose, but the sense of betrayal among those of us who don't transgress is incredibly strong. Sometimes (talking about the first three here) pressure can be applied , and folk can get themselves into dreadful positions. We all always have a choice, though. Always.

13 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

5 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

It's good to see that syntax is not overlooked in the face of this human tragedy which has implications for us all...

martin freeman no GIF

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

Wayne Couzens has pleaded guilty. 

Also of interest is that there may still be more to come. 

The fact that Cressida Dick mentioned "This man's terrible crimes" suggests to me the Met are aware there is more to follow.

12 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

The fact that Cressida Dick mentioned "This man's terrible crimes" suggests to me the Met are aware there is more to follow.

He's already going down for kidnap, rape and murder. Same victim, and all connected, but three separate offences. I'd bet the house on this not being his first outing, mind. 

29 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Oh, the combination of offence  and profession will guarantee him a warm welcome on the landings, no doubt about it. He's far from unique, though - four ex-staff who I worked alongside ended up in jail: three for bringing drugs into jail and one for a series of rapes. There's bad apples in every barrel, I suppose, but the sense of betrayal among those of us who don't transgress is incredibly strong. Sometimes (talking about the first three here) pressure can be applied , and folk can get themselves into dreadful positions. We all always have a choice, though. Always.

I'm guessing those coworkers didn't go to jail in the one you work at?

That would be some weird dynamic locking up your old work mates. 

58 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Of all the things to go after Cressida Dick for, this would be about 1000th on my list.

51 minutes ago, 101 said:

Tbh it would be a strange press conference for the head of the Met to say, Actually if you think about it Sarah was past her peak in life and will miss the collapse of our economy and climate really she was actually quite lucky.

Exactly, at least it was quick, not sitting in the house waiting for the plague to get you...

You mean hypothetically, don't you?

27 minutes ago, pub car king said:

I wonder if a deal has been done here. Are they taking unsolved offences into account because he is getting life with probably a 30 year term. 

"Listen Wayne, you could do is one last favour, as a copper, and confess to all our outstanding crime, we'll see you alright with a good cell, on your own..."

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

14 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

I'm guessing those coworkers didn't go to jail in the one you work at?

That would be some weird dynamic locking up your old work mates. 

The rapist did - or at least spent some time there. (serious offenders tend to get moved around a fair bit). It was weird for me, right enough, even though I didn't deal with him directly. Even weirder for a couple of female staff who he'd behaved a bit strangely with previously - they were really shaken up when the whole thing happened. "There but for the grace,," 

Weirdly, one of those bringing in drugs was still technically employed when sent down, and still a member of the Union. As per our rules, they wereentitled to representation (one of the other committe lads did it) at their disciplinary hearing in the visits hall at their new nick. Guess how that went?

1 hour ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I shouted instructions at the telly for her to f**k off during that statement. In my case, it was my strong aversion to the claim that anyone commenting on a tragedy is absolutely obliged to assert that their "thoughts are with [the tragedy victim's] family". It's pretty much universally untrue, it's formulaic, and it's virtue-signalling shorthand for not having to address any actual underlying problems.

Add in "... and prayers", and you're looking at a hanging offence.

This specific episode is particularly horrifying yet also intriguing - maybe that "yet" should be a "hence". We're all aware of the tendency for power to corrupt, but in most cases it's at a much less blatant and extreme use of that power. The possibility that a warrant card was used to achieve his aims is a real frightener: who could actually refuse to comply at that point?

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

The other thing people talk about is "innocent victims".  Surely the act of what you do is wrong, regardless of the victim?  Are there guilty victims?

the George Floyd murder is really odd for this, with an extraordinary amount of people either wilfully or ignorantly missing the point - I would have a hot take, not even touching on the systemic racism, that people shouldn't be summarily executed by the police when trying to take them into custody - and instead fixating on points like "yeah but he was a petty criminal why are people treating him like a martyr"

This is every bit as appalling, armed police flat out murder a guy that was on his hands and knees weeping while crawling toward them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Daniel_Shaver

Officer got found not guilty, early retirement and would appear to take inspiration from that Frankie Boyle bit about Iraq/Afghanistan war movies like that Bradley Cooper one and how shooting their people makes their soldiers feel sad.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

21 minutes ago, sugna said:

I shouted instructions at the telly for her to f**k off during that statement. In my case, it was my strong aversion to the claim that anyone commenting on a tragedy is absolutely obliged to assert that their "thoughts are with [the tragedy victim's] family". It's pretty much universally untrue, it's formulaic, and it's virtue-signalling shorthand for not having to address any actual underlying problems.

Add in "... and prayers", and you're looking at a hanging offence.

This specific episode is particularly horrifying yet also intriguing - maybe that "yet" should be a "hence". We're all aware of the tendency for power to corrupt, but in most cases it's at a much less blatant and extreme use of that power. The possibility that a warrant card was used to achieve his aims is a real frightener: who could actually refuse to comply at that point?

Unless those giving the sentiment actually do mention that person in their prayers. It does happen.

3 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Unless those giving the sentiment actually do mention that person in their prayers. It does happen.

Yes, I'm objecting to the formulaic parroting; and even in the case you mention... I don't know what it adds to tell the world. Telling your gods seems like enough, and the extra announcement seems superfluous.

Just now, sugna said:

Yes, I'm objecting to the formulaic parroting; and even in the case you mention... I don't know what it adds to tell the world. Telling your gods seems like enough, and the extra announcement seems superfluous.

Yes it is enough but the grieving person may find some comfort from it and evangelical Christian people will want the person to know that they believe God is there to provide such comfort. All I'm saying really is that some people do actually pray about such things. I do agree with your rant about parroting though but there are standard phrases which get churned out, especially to the grieving when it's difficult to know what to say.

1 hour ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

the George Floyd murder is really odd for this, with an extraordinary amount of people either wilfully or ignorantly missing the point - I would have a hot take, not even touching on the systemic racism, that people shouldn't be summarily executed by the police when trying to take them into custody - and instead fixating on points like "yeah but he was a petty criminal why are people treating him like a martyr"

That's SOP for Republicans whenever a cop murders a civilian. They immediately go into overdrive scouring the victim's past in order to find something...anything they might have done wrong. Better yet, if they were resisting arrest and/or under the influence of drugs , because then the murder was absolutely justified.

It isn't just cops either. When Trayvon Martin was murdered, I lost count of the times I read a variation of "He had previous for marijuana possession. Hardly the innocent victim the liberals are making him out to be." In their sick minds, the fact that he'd once been busted for carrying a joint meant that it was perfectly OK that a bigot had killed him due to his skin colour. Ugh.