Nathan Paterson

Hickey is more likely to end up as an attacking midfielder than a centre-back given what his actual strengths are as a player. I have no idea where people pluck some of these notions from - maybe Football Manager or FIFA lists him as being able to play there or something?

I can vaguely remember him playing in a back 3 but not as his starting position.
The first time I remember seeing him play there for Celtic was in one of the scariest starting 11s I've seen in Scottish football. We got absolutely obliterated. ff824c511d2b9a966f0ea0abf870412d.jpg

Guest Bob Mahelp
53 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I thought Patterson replacing O'Donnell against Croatia was a kind of passing the torch thing (either consciously or otherwise from Clarke) but then he had issues last month so we didn't get to see if that panned out, however he's now started the two games they've both been available for since. Maybe he is the first choice now?

Clarke would be mad to pick Patterson against any team stronger than Israel. 

As good as he was pushing forward in the second half yesterday, he's looked extremely poor when put under any kind of pressure in defence. 

Clarke must know this, hence why SoD played against Austria. The fact is, nobody actually knows if he can defend or not....he's pretty much untested at club level. 

As good as he was pushing forward in the second half yesterday, he's looked extremely poor when put under any kind of pressure in defence. 
Clarke must know this, hence why SoD played against Austria. The fact is, nobody actually knows if he can defend or not....he's pretty much untested at club level. 

Patterson was injured for the Austria game. He might have started.

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, accies1874 said:
1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Patterson was injured for the Austria game. He might have started.

Sorry, I just realised that after I posted. 

He might have, we won't know. I still think Patterson is in the team because his pace going forward, not because of his defensive abilities. It can't be denied that he's often looked well out of his depth when put under any kind of pressure at all. 

SoD was terrific against Austria by the way. He was definitely the man for the job that night. 

12 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

The first time I remember seeing him play there for Celtic was in one of the scariest starting 11s I've seen in Scottish football. We got absolutely obliterated. ff824c511d2b9a966f0ea0abf870412d.jpg

Was that at yours and Eddie Scored a hatrick? If it was I at that one. f**k me it’s depressing seeing that line up compare to now lol.

A minor point but I'm certain that formation is wrong. Sinclair was in the front three, McGregor at LWB and Forrest RWB.

Sorry, I just realised that after I posted. 
He might have, we won't know. I still think Patterson is in the team because his pace going forward, not because of his defensive abilities. It can't be denied that he's often looked well out of his depth when put under any kind of pressure at all. 
SoD was terrific against Austria by the way. He was definitely the man for the job that night. 

He's definitely in for what he brings going forward and O'Donnell is a more reliable defender, albeit not as reliable as some folk make out. There's still a place for O'Donnell to come in for certain games as the more experienced internationalist, but if there's not as much pressure to get a result against Denmark then that would be a great opportunity to see Patterson against a really good side. I'd also like to see him against a back four as his pace arriving onto an unsuspecting left-back could be really effective (see Reece James v Tierney recently).
Was that at yours and Eddie Scored a hatrick? If it was I at that one. f**k me it’s depressing seeing that line up compare to now lol.
I think he got one. I thought Dembele started the game and he came on which would've made things even scarier but obviously not.

A minor point but I'm certain that formation is wrong. Sinclair was in the front three, McGregor at LWB and Forrest RWB.
I actually think they did something weird and had Roberts and either McGregor or Forrest rotate quite a bit, so much so that Roberts spent quite a bit of time at RWB.

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

He is maybe a similar build to what Tierney was when he broke through at Celtic, but doesn’t have anything like the same aggression/physicality in his game that Tierney had. 

I’m assuming you aren’t trying to say that Hickey and Tierney are currently the same physically, as that would be fucking ludicrous. Hopefully Hickey undertakes the same style of strength and conditioning programme that Tierney did. 

Do you have some in depth insight into Bologna’s training and conditioning regime? How do you know Hickey isn’t undergoing strength and conditioning training at Bologna? Yes Bologna, a place in Italy, a country with a far more credible diet and long history of producing far better conditioned players both physically and technically.

5 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Do you have some in depth insight into Bologna’s training and conditioning regime? How do you know Hickey isn’t undergoing strength and conditioning training at Bologna? Yes Bologna, a place in Italy, a country with a far more credible diet and long history of producing far better conditioned players both physically and technically.

I would assume he would be, that doesn’t change that he is miles behind the likes of Tierney in terms of conditioning. 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Hickey is more likely to end up as an attacking midfielder than a centre-back given what his actual strengths are as a player. I have no idea where people pluck some of these notions from - maybe Football Manager or FIFA lists him as being able to play there or something?

Not really likely though is it?

Highly unlikely he’ll end up a centre back either but that’s not to say he couldn’t fit into a back three as one in the same fashion Tierney can. 

The “Football Manager or FIFA” remark I’ll just put down as utterly pointless waffle. 

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

I would assume he would be, that doesn’t change that he is miles behind the likes of Tierney in terms of conditioning. 

Again, what evidence do you have of this?

For avoidance of doubt though I’m happy to agree that Tierney is better than Hickey and also that Hickey is behind both Tierney and Robertson for the LCB and LWB roles. 

11 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Again, what evidence do you have of this?

For avoidance of doubt though I’m happy to agree that Tierney is better than Hickey and also that Hickey is behind both Tierney and Robertson for the LCB and LWB roles. 

The evidence is my eyes, and the quite evident physique they both have...

Tierney’s calf is around the same size as Hickey’s arms and legs combined, not even discussing his glorious quads... 😂

You aren’t really giving anything admitting that Hickey is behind Tierney and Robertson, he is lightyears behind both and I’ll be delighted if he gets close to either in time.

Edited by No_Problemo

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

He's definitely in for what he brings going forward and O'Donnell is a more reliable defender, albeit not as reliable as some folk make out. There's still a place for O'Donnell to come in for certain games as the more experienced internationalist, but if there's not as much pressure to get a result against Denmark then that would be a great opportunity to see Patterson against a really good side. I'd also like to see him against a back four as his pace arriving onto an unsuspecting left-back could be really effective (see Reece James v Tierney recently).

I don't disagree with any of that really, although I would prefer to see Patterson learning his trade as first choice for his club, before being thrown into the deep end in international football. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I don't disagree with any of that really, although I would prefer to see Patterson learning his trade as first choice for his club, before being thrown into the deep end in international football. 

Spain just played a 17 year old (Gavi) in their recent nations league semi vs Italy. He starting again tonight for them in the final against France.

Hes only ever played 8 club first team games, 3 for Barcelona b and 5 for Barcelona.

They don't care if there another player with more experience, only whos the best.

Am I saying patterson is as good as him, obviously I'm not. 

What im saying is even the top teams recognise the best young players and pick them. They don't wait for them to play 60 games.

Patterson is better than O'donnell, hes more than old enough and good enough for us.

Edited by BingMcCrosby

33 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I am still to be convinced Patterson will be better than average.

I think he will be fine in time but needs tried defensively more than developing his attacking instincts, I don’t think playing for a team like Rangers where he is camped more inside the opponents half helps this. From the little I have seen of  him and Ramsay I would say Ramsay is slightly better defensively already and is nearly 2 years younger.

Edited by gannonball

Just now, gannonball said:

I think he will be fine in time but needs tried defensively more than developing his attacking instincts, I don’t think playing for a team like Rangers where he is camped more inside the opponents half helps this. From the little I have seen of  him and Ramsay I would say Ramsay is slightly better defensively already and is nearly 2 years younger.

I'd have him and patterson in the squad right now and let them fight it out for the position going forward.