Nathan Paterson

We've tried a fair few options since 2017, and SOD has been the best, without being spectacular.

You've made me look this up...

Right-backs and right-wing-backs since Alan Hutton's last appearance for Scotland (Czech Republic, 2016):

- Steven Whittaker
- Callum Paterson
- Russell Martin
- Ikechi Anya
- Kieran Tierney
- Ryan Jack
- Ryan Fraser
- Stephen O'Donnell
- Liam Palmer
- James Forrest
- Nathan Patterson
- Andy Robertson
- Paul McGinn

We've had some variety of players there.

12 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

You've made me look this up...

Right-backs and right-wing-backs since Alan Hutton's last appearance for Scotland (Czech Republic, 2016):

- Steven Whittaker
- Callum Paterson
- Russell Martin
- Ikechi Anya
- Kieran Tierney
- Ryan Jack
- Ryan Fraser
- Stephen O'Donnell
- Liam Palmer
- James Forrest
- Nathan Patterson
- Andy Robertson
- Paul McGinn

We've had some variety of players there.

Ouch.  Varying degree of success had there - from the downright awful, to the that-will-just-about-do.

We've not had too many MOTM displays from right back since Hutton left.  It's nice however, that this seems to be the only real issue we have right now.

Once Patterson/Ramsay are really established in the next few years, we'll have found something else.  Predictably, goalkeeper and striker...

Huttons career was so odd. I remember him being completely finished at Villa, going through several loans, only to somehow turn it round during a pre-season and ended up staying there for like another 5 years.

57 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Striker is fine for a decade. Dykes and Adams are just entering their prime 

It’s all relative. If you have a CL centre back and left backs, rights backs in the English top flight (predicted), and a ballon d’or winner in midfield, then your championship strikers don’t look quite as good. 

I agree that they are as good as we’ve had in years, but progress always brings about dissatisfaction. Just ask the English with their team of world beaters.

3 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

It’s all relative. If you have a CL centre back and left backs, rights backs in the English top flight (predicted), and a ballon d’or winner in midfield, then your championship strikers don’t look quite as good. 

I agree that they are as good as we’ve had in years, but progress always brings about dissatisfaction. Just ask the English with their team of world beaters.

And likewise I don’t disagree that I’d prefer us to have a more talismanic centre forward. Someone with the scoring record of a Mitrovic or a Dzeko would really put us over the line not only into becoming a regular fixture at tournaments, but possibly making some noise in the group stages.

Just now, Donathan said:

And likewise I don’t disagree that I’d prefer us to have a more talismanic centre forward. Someone with the scoring record of a Mitrovic or a Dzeko would really put us over the line not only into becoming a regular fixture at tournaments, but possibly making some noise in the group stages.

I think we all would like that really, got to hope someone emerges.

2 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Some people will never be happy. 

Is Callum McGregor a champions league midfielder if Jack Hendry and Kieran Tierney are Champions League defenders? 

4 hours ago, DAFC. said:

Patterson is better than SOD. He should be first choice at RWB for the foreseeable. SOD playing just because he is "solid enough" is just typical negative Scotland. Clarke called it right on Saturday. 

Why is it negative? SOD for Scotland has did fairly decent. Clarke has did well when calling him up. You won't be forgetting his performance in the Euros , especially when whole of Scotland cheered when he decked Grealish (sp) at the half way line.

SOD and Patterson fighting it for that position at this moment in time I have no problem with.

If SODput in that performance in the first half like Patterson did and still had a good second half fans still would have been calling for him to be dropped, was a criminal first half. My praise however again goes to Clarke for sticking by him.

I would have Patterson starting against Faroes and we go again. Patterson however needs to be looking at more game time for his club, that's a must. 

4 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Ouch.  Varying degree of success had there - from the downright awful, to the that-will-just-about-do.

We've not had too many MOTM displays from right back since Hutton left.  

Hutton was another who was better going forward than defending

13 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

Didn't realise how bad his goalscorer record was however until Sunday. Just presumed he was the goal scorer for Southampton 

That was Danny Ings up to and including last season and it's Adam Armstrong now. Adams plays just off the main man.

4 hours ago, Robin.Hood said:

Why is it negative? SOD for Scotland has did fairly decent. Clarke has did well when calling him up. You won't be forgetting his performance in the Euros , especially when whole of Scotland cheered when he decked Grealish (sp) at the half way line.

sorry, can't let this one slide. "has done fairly well" and "Clarke has done well calling him up"

16 hours ago, G51 said:

Huttons career was so odd. I remember him being completely finished at Villa, going through several loans, only to somehow turn it round during a pre-season and ended up staying there for like another 5 years.

The more remarkable aspect of it was how in he developed from just a pretty good player in his early/mid 20s to one of the best right backs in the world for a couple of years.

Just for a brief time, he was genuinely unstoppable rampaging up and down the right flank.

46 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

The more remarkable aspect of it was how in he developed from just a pretty good player in his early/mid 20s to one of the best right backs in the world for a couple of years.

Just for a brief time, he was genuinely unstoppable rampaging up and down the right flank.

Yeah that’s true. The six months that got him the move to Spurs just came out of absolutely nowhere.