Nathan Paterson

28 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Barrie McKay got capped. He might have got more than one, I'm not sure, but nothing worth talking about. I'd be surprised if there was anyone between him and Patterson.

I just wiki'd it and apparently he got subbed on in the 86th minute in a friendly for his one cap.

12 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

They also had that boy Lewis MacLeod who I’m sure got called up into a couple of squads, but I’m not sure if he ever got a cap. 

I did think of him. He was one that I was genuinely excited by. I was astounded Rangers let him go. Then he was ravaged by injuries, which could be the reason he never ended up with any caps. 

I did think of him. He was one that I was genuinely excited by. I was astounded Rangers let him go. Then he was ravaged by injuries, which could be the reason he never ended up with any caps. 

Rangers didn't "let him go", they sold him for decent money.

They did play quite a few young players in their "journey" through the bottom tiers, it was just that they were almost all terrible players.

I just read the last few pages, Regardless of where players spent their youth, I don't think you can give clubs who hardly (or never) played a guy any credit for his development.

48 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I just read the last few pages, Regardless of where players spent their youth, I don't think you can give clubs who hardly (or never) played a guy any credit for his development.

That's a ridiculous comment! If a player has been at a club between say 8 and 18 but never plays a first team game that is still 10 years worth of training and coaching from that club, of course they deserve credit for their development

9 minutes ago, tartanbrush said:

That's a ridiculous comment! If a player has been at a club between say 8 and 18 but never plays a first team game that is still 10 years worth of training and coaching from that club, of course they deserve credit for their development

Nah, playing under 19/21/reserve fitba is different from 1st team. Dec Gallagher for example. Learned and improved his game playing at lower levels and building it back up to get into the scotland team and get a decent move for himself, Feck all to do with Celtic and his time their.

Not saying they can't learn things when a youth at clubs that ultimately chuck them. But they ultimately improved with first team fitba

2 hours ago, red23 said:

I don't think i ever became more disinterested in Scotland than when we called up Ian Black, this by the way was ahead of players like the rangers "messiah" Ryan Jack

I'm not even sure he was the most egregious example of such terrible call ups.

There's a very well looked after Twitter account that has tweeted the details of every debut ever made for Scotland.  The period in the early 2000s does not make good reading.

I was going to say that recent years have been better, but we've had some odd caps given out (Hanlon, Considine, McGinn), but hopefully history will remember those for the period in which they were awarded (rather that compared to 2001-2004, which I insist everyone has a look at!)

But then, I've just gone and looked - Stuart Findlay, Michael Devlin, Eamonn Brophy, Marc McNulty... suggests this isn't a golden era of solid picking.  And that's without going near the calamity of Mexico and Peru...

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

There's a very well looked after Twitter account that has tweeted the details of every debut ever made for Scotland.  The period in the early 2000s does not make good reading.
I was going to say that recent years have been better, but we've had some odd caps given out (Hanlon, Considine, McGinn), but hopefully history will remember those for the period in which they were awarded (rather that compared to 2001-2004, which I insist everyone has a look at!)
But then, I've just gone and looked - Stuart Findlay, Michael Devlin, Eamonn Brophy, Marc McNulty... suggests this isn't a golden era of solid picking.  And that's without going near the calamity of Mexico and Peru...
That Twitter account is excellent. Bit of a rabbit hole though - just spent ages scrolling thru it instead of working! Totally forgot about guys like Brian McAllister of Wimbledon. As for the 2000-2004 period...

[insert Clint Eastwood disgusted gif here]

On 05/10/2021 at 23:43, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Odd maybe ! But did Hanlon , Considine and McGinn let us down ?

Kudos to SSC

Edited by Ewan8472

Despite being a Hertz man - I can't remember if Aaron Hickey can play on either side at the back, or only on the left? Still only 19, strutting it in Serie A, and bagged his second goal of the season against Lazio last weekend.

Ridiculous he isn't even in the squad.