Midlands League

Marten

9 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

Having a feeling that's lights out for Lochee United's aspirations - and the pyramid nerds hope for a Midlands League promotion.

Unless Downfield are working on a licence, I know their ground has the physical requirements - but the admin is not that straightforward to get done.

Perhaps, though with 15 games to go and Broughty and North End next month plus Carnoustie, (who need to play catchup) who knows. Still curious how the fixtures are going to be done in order to confirm a non-licensed champion or not in time to play Strathspey Thistle who should finish their HL season on 15th April...

Downfield don't seem to even have a website which is presumably needed to host the policy documents required for licensing.

Shame for us, but that's football. This league is very competitive with various teams able to win it. Unlikely for us to win it now but now we seem to have firmly steadied the ship off the pitch we can keep on building for next season.

1 hour ago, Marten said:

Shame for us, but that's football. This league is very competitive with various teams able to win it. Unlikely for us to win it now but now we seem to have firmly steadied the ship off the pitch we can keep on building for next season.

Do you think some of the unlicensed clubs are choosing to spend their dosh on players instead of upgrading their grounds? If so it might take a while to get a play off together. It will be nice to end the season with a bit of excitement if it eventually comes about, no signs of anything happening in the other two tier 6 leagues, and I've heard Golspie don't want promotion anyway. 

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Do you think some of the unlicensed clubs are choosing to spend their dosh on players instead of upgrading their grounds? If so it might take a while to get a play off together. It will be nice to end the season with a bit of excitement if it eventually comes about, no signs of anything happening in the other two tier 6 leagues, and I've heard Golspie don't want promotion anyway. 

Carnoustie are aiming for a license, but a fair amount of work still needs to be done so it's not going to happen this year. They are aiming for 2024. A club like East Craigie isn't very rich, just very well-run. But I can see it being an issue for them to get licensing sorted as that's very expensive, especially as their ground is fairly basic at the moment. North End & Downfield probably have some of the better grounds and might have some of the best chances to get licensed, but I have no idea if they are planning that short term tbh. But I don't think either are splashing the cash on players.

In terms of who would be licensed quickest, maybe Blairgowrie could have a chance. They've done a lot of work on their ground last season so I'd imagine they can't be too far off. But as they are near the bottom obviously that won't impact promotion.

Downfield are definitely chucking cash (amongst other things if the rumours are to be believed) at signings. 

Carnoustie strong favourites for me, although they’re just halfway through their season so could be derailed by a couple of injuries to key players. Especially if they happen at a point in the season when they’re playing 3 games a week, where a slight knock could see you miss 6 games. 

The sad loss of Mark Johnson will of course affect Carnoustie in several ways, but I’d imagine it will have a particularly big impact on their licensing effort. He’ll have been central to that. 

3 hours ago, Marten said:

Carnoustie are aiming for a license, but a fair amount of work still needs to be done so it's not going to happen this year. They are aiming for 2024. A club like East Craigie isn't very rich, just very well-run. But I can see it being an issue for them to get licensing sorted as that's very expensive, especially as their ground is fairly basic at the moment. North End & Downfield probably have some of the better grounds and might have some of the best chances to get licensed, but I have no idea if they are planning that short term tbh. But I don't think either are splashing the cash on players.

In terms of who would be licensed quickest, maybe Blairgowrie could have a chance. They've done a lot of work on their ground last season so I'd imagine they can't be too far off. But as they are near the bottom obviously that won't impact promotion.

What about Broughty Athletic?

13 hours ago, Eednud said:

What about Broughty Athletic?

They do have floodlights but from what I've heard their facilities are still quite far off licensing standards. I'd be happy to be proven wrong on any of these clubs though because for the sake of the pyramid it would be good to get as many clubs in our league licensed as possible.

And from a purely selfish point it would be good too as if we don't win the league I'd like see the winners promoted to have a better chance next time with that team gone (and to have a local game if we do get promoted in the future). 

Edited by Marten

11 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

Panmure game today sounded interesting?

Bridge of Don manager apparently punching a 14 year old Carnoustie fan. Regardless of the circumstances behind this, you'd hope to see him charged by the police and sacked by his club. 

1 hour ago, BigSash said:

Regardless of the circumstances behind this, you'd hope to see him charged by the police and sacked by his club. 

No idea what happened here but you get pretty hefty and violent 14 year olds and I wouldn't rule out a punch in the mouth seeming like the only option.

3 hours ago, BigSash said:

Bridge of Don manager apparently punching a 14 year old Carnoustie fan. Regardless of the circumstances behind this, you'd hope to see him charged by the police and sacked by his club. 

Can't read the article without subscribing, but confirmed in The Courier that a man was charged by police following a 'disturbance' at the ground.

1 hour ago, forfarton said:

Can't read the article without subscribing, but confirmed in The Courier that a man was charged by police following a 'disturbance' at the ground.

'No injuries were reported.' 

A 56-year-old man has been charged following a disturbance at a junior football match in Carnoustie on Saturday.

Police were called to the home ground of Carnoustie Panmure FC shortly before 4pm following reports of a disturbance.

Pictures posted on social media showed a police van parked outside Laing Park following the full time whistle.

Carnoustie Panmure had been playing Aberdeen-based team Bridge of Don Thistle in the Quest Engineering Cup.

Carnoustie Panmure beat Bridge of Don Thistle by three goals to two.

No injuries reported

No injuries were reported but police have confirmed man in his fifties has been charged in connection with the disturbance.

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “We received a report of a disturbance at Laing Park, Pitskelly Road, Carnoustie, around 3.50pm on Saturday.

“There were no reports of any injuries.

“A 56-year-old man has been charged in connection and a report will be sent to the Procurator Fiscal.”