Midlands League

Marten

14 hours ago, Dev said:

But wouldn't Jeanfield reach Tier 5 quicker by going up the Highland League route rather than down the Lowland League route i.e. winning the EoS and then needing to defeat the WoS champions (if they are licenced!)? 

On paper yes but how many WOS teams have won the play offs so far? 

It could be the start of a few years of WOS teams going up but there is no guarantee that the EOS team cannot win that playoff if it happens.

14 hours ago, Marten said:

Not sure they're desperate just to be in tier 5. I think they're quite happy where they are while trying for promotion.

id agree there is no mad rush at Jeanfield, they are not spending big money and with modest gates and no social club the club is growing slowly with increased gates and may just be happy to try and be the best non SPFL team in Perthshire along with all the community sides they have. Letham in the midland league are their only competition for the community side and Scone seem to be putting a decent team together in the midland but again are not at the same level Jeanfield are.

You only have to look at last summer to see the food chain as it stands. The Jeanfield manager get a promotion at work and stands down so the Luncarty management team move to Jeanfield and the Kinnoull management team then move to Luncarty. 

50 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

id agree there is no mad rush at Jeanfield, they are not spending big money and with modest gates and no social club the club is growing slowly with increased gates and may just be happy to try and be the best non SPFL team in Perthshire along with all the community sides they have. Letham in the midland league are their only competition for the community side and Scone seem to be putting a decent team together in the midland but again are not at the same level Jeanfield are.

You only have to look at last summer to see the food chain as it stands. The Jeanfield manager get a promotion at work and stands down so the Luncarty management team move to Jeanfield and the Kinnoull management team then move to Luncarty. 

agree they will be more than happy where they are, with the added bonus of both Kinnoull and Luncarty being in the league this year should see a rise in gates for a few games. Jeanfield will be up there come the end of season and if they did happen to win league I bet they would fancy their chances in a playoff with the WoS/SoS teams. 

On 08/08/2023 at 18:04, Marten said:

Looking forward to Saturday, I'll be there. :) 

Disappointed with you lads tonight, 2-0 up but never really looked in control. Crying out for a striker to link it all together. Thought bobby was way too deep first half, picking through balls has never been his game. Fair play to East Craigie though who battled back into it.

1 hour ago, Lichtie78 said:

Disappointed with you lads tonight, 2-0 up but never really looked in control. Crying out for a striker to link it all together. Thought bobby was way too deep first half, picking through balls has never been his game. Fair play to East Craigie though who battled back into it.

Our best striker is Jaden Ferguson, he came on in the second half but is still coming back from an injury. When he is fully fit we'll be fine. Also one of our best defenders, Calvin Colquhoun is on his way back from an injury, he has been out for over a year but is nearly back.

Shame about the dropped points today, but East Craigie away is one of the toughest games of the season. Should be able to beat Arbroath Vics comfortably on Saturday.

image.png.48418bf6fc0facdbc9820a745de3c652.png

A big win for Downfield at home to Tayport. The clash between East Craigie & Lochee United finished in a 2-2 draw, leaving Broughty Athletic after their 1-2 win in Montrose as the only club on 100%. 

Another good win for Broughty. Setting a good pace.

East Craigie showing that losing key players doesn't phase them. They are a tough nut to crack. 

Lochee Utd not getting it their own way, but they'll be there or thereabouts come the end of season. 

Downfield with a good win. I fancy them to stay the distance this year. 

Carnoustie winning again after their poor start. They'll get better as the season goes on imo.

Carnoustie had the league tied up early doors last season but I think it's going to be a cracker this season. It'll go the distance.

11 minutes ago, BigSash said:

Another good win for Broughty. Setting a good pace.

East Craigie showing that losing key players doesn't phase them. They are a tough nut to crack. 

Lochee Utd not getting it their own way, but they'll be there or thereabouts come the end of season. 

Downfield with a good win. I fancy them to stay the distance this year. 

Carnoustie winning again after their poor start. They'll get better as the season goes on imo.

Carnoustie had the league tied up early doors last season but I think it's going to be a cracker this season. It'll go the distance.

Yeah, it will be close between the 5 teams you mentioned I think. I don't think we have much reason to complain either. Started with 4 commanding wins, then 4 points in 2 games against other competitors. We seem more consistent, last season we ruined our chances by dropping points against "lesser" sides. Early doors yet, but I feel that should be less of an issue this season.

Edited by Marten

4 minutes ago, Marten said:

Yeah, it will be close between the 5 teams you mentioned I think. I don't think we have much reason to complain either. Started with 4 commanding wins, then 4 points in 2 games against other competitors. We seem more consistent, last season we ruined our chances by dropping points against "lesser" sides. Early doors yet, but I feel that should be less of an issue this season.

Actually forgot all about North End. A decent side and they have, what seems to be a massive squad. I'm sure they'll be disappointed in the start they've made. 

These top sides are all capable of beating each other so it'll definitely be closer this season. 

Took in Roselea - Brechin Vics at Links Park. Roselea went ahead early through a scrambled goal after Vics failed to clear their lines. The first half wasn’t great, Vics worked pretty hard and both sides struggled a bit to find any fluency.

Second half Vics hit the post from close range and then Roselea really took control with three quick fire goals. The third, a cheeky back heeler and the fourth, an exocet into the top right hand corner, from outside the area, were both fun too see.

An embarrassing collapse / rout was threatening at that stage with the Vics hardly able to get out of their own half for a spell. However they stuck to their task and defended stoutly for the rest of the game as the home side settled for what they had.

Roselea looked decent on the whole snd should be confident of a top half finish. They are a bit behind the top sides but should have too much for anyone outside the top 5/6. Vics worked hard and although well beaten weren’t disgraced. I am sure they will finish higher up than last season.

Decent entertainment in front of a crowd of 55-60. Will be back when the Mo are in far flung parts. A joy to see all the clubs in town working together/ a pipe dream 15-20 years ago.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

On 12/08/2023 at 17:40, Ivo den Bieman said:

Took in Roselea - Brechin Vics at Links Park. Roselea went ahead early through a scrambled goal after Vics failed to clear their lines. The first half wasn’t great, Vics worked pretty hard and both sides struggled a bit to find any fluency.

Second half Vics hit the post from close range and then Roselea really took control with three quick fire goals. The third, a cheeky back heeler and the fourth, an exocet into the top right hand corner, from outside the area, were both fun too see.

An embarrassing collapse / rout was threatening at that stage with the Vics hardly able to get out of their own half for a spell. However they stuck to their task and defended stoutly for the rest of the game as the home side settled for what they had.

Roselea looked decent on the whole snd should be confident of a top half finish. They are a bit behind the top sides but should have too much for anyone outside the top 5/6. Vics worked hard and although well beaten weren’t disgraced. I am sure they will finish higher up than last season.

Decent entertainment in front of a crowd of 55-60. Will be back when the Mo are in far flung parts. A joy to see all the clubs in town working together/ a pipe dream 15-20 years ago.

Good summary of the game and Brechin Vics certainly improving. Roselea playing well and as well as looking to beat teams around them I dont think any of the top 5-6 will relish playing them this season. Long way to go before we challenge for honours in this League but certainly improved on last 3-4 seasons with the new players coming in. As you say good to see the link up with Montrose FC working well and hopefully pays dividends for all as per the vision of 15 years ago. Good to catch up and you are welcome to come and support as any time!

On 12/08/2023 at 20:00, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

What a job Charlie King has done at Scone btw.

He definitely has. It probably sounds strange coming from someone who has just seen his team win 0-7 there while we lost there last season, but they are much better now. Tonight was one of those nights that everything worked out for us, by far our best performance of the season (while last season's defeat was the exact opposite). Obviously I'm delighted with what I saw from us and definitely won't complain, but Scone are much stronger than that scoreline suggests and they will pick up a decent amount of points from the "lesser" teams in the division. 

On 15/08/2023 at 10:16, tellyboy said:

Good summary of the game and Brechin Vics certainly improving. Roselea playing well and as well as looking to beat teams around them I dont think any of the top 5-6 will relish playing them this season. Long way to go before we challenge for honours in this League but certainly improved on last 3-4 seasons with the new players coming in. As you say good to see the link up with Montrose FC working well and hopefully pays dividends for all as per the vision of 15 years ago. Good to catch up and you are welcome to come and support as any time!

Will be back soon for sure. Enjoyed my afternoon with Roselea.

Truth be told I’m a little bit bored of the SPFL so likely will take in a fair bit of the Midlands League this season.

image.png.d610ca4a382a4ed52dec3c92dd6e8dc7.png

image.thumb.png.e958d054a12b1c158106217efee63133.png

A surprisingly big win for Lochee United at Scone sees them staying on Broughty's heels, who won again. North End, Tayport and East Craigie all drew and lost some ground, meaning for the first time this season a real top 3 has formed. Carnoustie are definitely on the way back after losing their first 2 games.

24 minutes ago, Marten said:

He definitely has. It probably sounds strange coming from someone who has just seen his team win 0-7 there while we lost there last season, but they are much better now. Tonight was one of those nights that everything worked out for us, by far our best performance of the season (while last season's defeat was the exact opposite). Obviously I'm delighted with what I saw from us and definitely won't complain, but Scone are much stronger than that scoreline suggests and they will pick up a decent amount of points from the "lesser" teams in the division. 

Aye it’s been a difficult run of fixtures to start the season but draws with Tayport and East Craigie are very good results for a young side. No shame in losing to Lochee who will be up there come the end of the season. It would be good to see Scone finish above Letham, but midtable generally would be excellent progress from being the whipping boys of the league.

Downfield 5-1 Carnoustie Panmure

Sluggish and even first 35-40 minutes but a ball over the top left Panmure stranded and they gave away a clear penalty that was dutifully put away by Downfield. The Spiders doubled the lead before HT with a weird low ball that got past everyone incl. the keeper, with only Liam McCartney keeping up with it and tapping it into the net.

Carnoustie came out with a burst of energy in the 2nd half and Louis Joyce scored with an absolute laser of a shot about 30 yds out to make it 2-1. Joyce would manage another laser later on... though it was a laser straight off a Downfield player's head from a free kick. Not deliberate, but needlessly reckless (kicked before the ref blew and the Spider hadn't taken his yards yet) and was sent off. Downfield took advantage and scored shortly after off a corner where the keeper came out and everyone froze on a well placed but slow second ball in, and later netted a 4th from another blatant penalty. Panmure's keeper made some great saves from the now frequent waves of Downfield attacks to keep the score down, but the Spiders eventually punched in a 5th off another deflected save.

Turned into a good game that was in the balance until that red card, after which Downfield stuck the knife in. Very good result for them, and a massive scalp against the reigning champions.