Midlands League

Marten

I think in the near future it needs to go to 2 smaller leagues. For teams like Arbroath Vics it's a really tough sell to the best amateur players to come and play junior where you have no chance of winning anything, and will take some absolute skuddings off the better teams. Not that appealing when you could stay amateur and play for leagues/cups.

3 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

I think in the near future it needs to go to 2 smaller leagues. For teams like Arbroath Vics it's a really tough sell to the best amateur players to come and play junior where you have no chance of winning anything, and will take some absolute skuddings off the better teams. Not that appealing when you could stay amateur and play for leagues/cups.

Yeah, that's the problem now. Our games at Arbroath Vics and home against Forfar United were both far too one-sided and both finished 9-1 to us. These games aren't fun for either side. Especially the Forfar United game, we actually played very poor for our standards the first 40 minutes, turned up a gear for the last 5 minutes of the first half and were 4-1 up at HT, then took some of our best players off as we had Tayport a few days later and still scored another 5 in the second half. Occasionally a big win is nice for a fan, but when there is no form of excitement for too many games it's not interesting for us as fans, while it's demoralising for the opposition. Such games benefit neither side.

Edited by Marten

38 league games as well is the most of any non-league division, which doesn't add to the appeal if you're a poorer team, surely something will have to change -  whether it's a couple of teams being promoted soon, two divisions, or some sort of split after the first round of games?

Are there any amateur teams that could make the step up? The league could have done with Jeanfield, Kinnoull and Luncarty to boost the numbers but that ship seems to have sailed. At least Montrose Roselea came back.

7 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Persuading Jeanfield, Kinnoull and Luncarty to return would be one possible solution, but no idea how open those clubs would be to the concept. Cupar Hearts might be worth a look in amateur terms? Then there's Breadalbane...

Cupar Hearts is outside our area, not sure if Breadalbane are currently interested as they aren't exactly flying high in the Perthshire AFA.

35 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Persuading Jeanfield, Kinnoull and Luncarty to return would be one possible solution, but no idea how open those clubs would be to the concept. Cupar Hearts might be worth a look in amateur terms? Then there's Breadalbane...

How are those 3 clubs for licensing and eligibility for promotion?  

Jeanfield have licensing and I suspect would be strong candidates for promotion to the Highland League if they ever moved over. They might have their sights set on the LL though. Other two have very basic grounds, especially in the case of Luncarty. Kinnoull have a disused set of training lights (?) so might be closer to licensing but no idea if they are trying to go for it.

11 hours ago, stanley said:

Are there any amateur teams that could make the step up? The league could have done with Jeanfield, Kinnoull and Luncarty to boost the numbers but that ship seems to have sailed. At least Montrose Roselea came back.

I'd heard Charlie accies of Dundee were interested. But was just chatter after they played my mates team, not sure how much truth in it.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Jeanfield have licensing and I suspect would be strong candidates for promotion to the Highland League if they ever moved over. They might have their sights set on the LL though. Other two have very basic grounds, especially in the case of Luncarty. Kinnoull have a disused set of training lights (?) so might be closer to licensing but no idea if they are trying to go for it.

I thin they'd have much more chance of winning the HL than the LL.  

25 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I thin they'd have much more chance of winning the HL than the LL.  

They probably would but the draw of players would be a lot less. 

Asking someone to come and train in Perth and play most of the games in the central belt as it is just now is going to be a lot more appealing than "every second week we go up the A9 for at least 2 hours etc"

TBH i think Jeanfield will be happy at the top end of the East of Scotland and playing in the Scottish, a step up in either direction could do more harm than good.

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Kinnoull have long term plans for Tulloch park and the club and Luncarty is basic, They will both do well to survive in the East Premier this season but where they are suits both and they may yo yo  between the Premier and first for a number of season.

4 hours ago, Marten said:

Cupar Hearts is outside our area, not sure if Breadalbane are currently interested as they aren't exactly flying high in the Perthshire AFA.

Breadalbane are top of the league with a +26 goal difference after 4 games?

3 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Breadalbane are top of the league with a +26 goal difference after 4 games?

Ah, I didn't realise that, they must have strenghtened in that case as I thought last season wasn't the greatest for them?

How about St Andrews a mere 15 miles from Dundee, Newburgh and the north Fife clubs who all face long jounrneys to the Borders at times making the shift? I suppose its a big move as things can change very quickly as we well know and your boundaries become shorter/longer at the click of a fingers as we well know. Surely up to the SFA/SJFA to have meaningful discussions to sort these things out but dont hold your breath! 

On 01/09/2023 at 17:27, Marten said:

Ah, I didn't realise that, they must have strenghtened in that case as I thought last season wasn't the greatest for them?

Think they finished 5th in the end but had a strong finish to the season. Potentially signed some players from Ballinluig, who folded, but I’m unsure. I saw they won 10-1 at the weekend there. 

I do think it would be a great addition to the pyramid to have a team based in the area and the park & general facilities rival some Midlands League clubs. Certainly better than Letham’s IMO.