Midlands League

Marten

2 minutes ago, Marten said:

Talks were already ongoing before FWE's application to the EoS, they have been going on for a while. Their application was probably to explore their options in case this would fall through.

No doubt there was contact but the NCL guy from Tain St Duthus seemed a bit bewildered by it all on twitter.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

8 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

As I recall when Kelty Hearts joined the pyramid and had to start at the bottom of it they were absolutely smashing teams some weeks.  They were clearly miles too good for that league but had quite rightly had to start there.  I can imagine Banks O'Dee doing much the same and challenging for the Highland League title within a few years.

Kelty blew away many opponents in EOS League; though it still went down to a last day decider which they actually started 1pt behind leaders LTHV.

BoD have won or lead North Juniors since 2015 with an increasing margin every season... 6pts, 10pts, 19pts, 18pts, 14pts (with 10 games left).

Started where they left-off this campaign.

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The only thing that changed was the integration of the Midlands League. The Highland Pyramid was starting this season with or without them.

The ML & NCL were on board relatively early. The stumbling block was the North Region joining. Without them it wouldn't have happened I think as it would be pretty difficult for relegated teams. Would say Fraserburgh go to the NCL or ML?

3 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

No doubt there was contact but the NCL guy from Tain St Duthus seemed a bit bewildered by it all on twitter.

I haven't been part of the talks obviously, I was informed that they were going on though and that the people involved were fairly confident that they would get an agreement, which obviously happened. When these talks were in the initial stages, there will probably have been plenty of people who weren't aware to be fair as it was just a case of exploring options.

Anyway, how it happened doesn't really matter anymore, I'm glad that it did happen. :) 

Another round of fixtures where I try and predict the outcomes with hilarious results. I can't really get much worse than Wednesday night but I'm sure I will. First up is Arbroath Vics at home to Blairgowrie who after 4 games have a combined total of 4 points which if you discount games against the new teams or Coupar Angus falls to 0 points. I fancy a highly entertaining 3-3 draw in this one. Broughty are at home to high flying Brechin Vics in what seems a must win game even this early in the season. Vics bounced back well from their 9-0 home pasting against Lochee Utd by beating Downfield in Dundee on Wednesday night. Think this will be tough but we've got to win and I think we will, 3-1. Coupar Angus are at home to Harp. I think we can just leave that one there. Downfield, still looking for their first point, are at home to Forfar Utd who have one point. Two teams who I thought would be doing a lot better at this stage. You could probably toss a coin here. So I did. And it said Forfar Utd. Tayport were my pick for best of the rest after the big three this season and while I'm sticking with that prediction, it's been a slow start from them. Tomorrow they travel to Violet and I think they will win 1-0. Kirrie will narrowly edge out St.James up at Westview Park and I'm going for East Craigie to inflict a first defeat upon Letham. Let's say 2-1 and 1-2 in those two games. Why not, eh? Lochee Utd will continue on their merry way with another easy win against North End. Will they concede a goal? I say no. Finally Scone, the great unknowables, whose results I think I have got wrong every time so far this season are at home to Carnoustie. This time I will call their result correctly. They are getting pumped 5-1. Enjoy the games if you're heading out. If I'm feeling as fit as I do just now, I will make it along to my first game of the season.

2 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Another round of fixtures where I try and predict the outcomes with hilarious results. I can't really get much worse than Wednesday night but I'm sure I will. First up is Arbroath Vics at home to Blairgowrie who after 4 games have a combined total of 4 points which if you discount games against the new teams or Coupar Angus falls to 0 points. I fancy a highly entertaining 3-3 draw in this one. Broughty are at home to high flying Brechin Vics in what seems a must win game even this early in the season. Vics bounced back well from their 9-0 home pasting against Lochee Utd by beating Downfield in Dundee on Wednesday night. Think this will be tough but we've got to win and I think we will, 3-1. Coupar Angus are at home to Harp. I think we can just leave that one there. Downfield, still looking for their first point, are at home to Forfar Utd who have one point. Two teams who I thought would be doing a lot better at this stage. You could probably toss a coin here. So I did. And it said Forfar Utd. Tayport were my pick for best of the rest after the big three this season and while I'm sticking with that prediction, it's been a slow start from them. Tomorrow they travel to Violet and I think they will win 1-0. Kirrie will narrowly edge out St.James up at Westview Park and I'm going for East Craigie to inflict a first defeat upon Letham. Let's say 2-1 and 1-2 in those two games. Why not, eh? Lochee Utd will continue on their merry way with another easy win against North End. Will they concede a goal? I say no. Finally Scone, the great unknowables, whose results I think I have got wrong every time so far this season are at home to Carnoustie. This time I will call their result correctly. They are getting pumped 5-1. Enjoy the games if you're heading out. If I'm feeling as fit as I do just now, I will make it along to my first game of the season.

Change Downfield and St.james to win  Letham to draw and your onto a winner.

15 hours ago, Den Spark said:

Brechin Vics in fifth place, a team that lost 9-0 at home to Lochee United.

As you’d expect lochee to win Brechin had 12 man squad with good few starters missing for whatever reason, pretty sure they had some of the young boys from the amateur side help out  also. Other results for Brechin have been good so they’ll be very happy so far. 

Poor game against North End today. We haven't been very effective once getting to the box. Needlessly conceded two goals. The equaliser late on was more than deserved, but not out best day. North End are a strong side though and will definitely trouble more teams.

Ah well, main thing is that we are getting closer to having a fully fit squad.

Made it along to Whitton today to see Broughty comfortably beat Brechin Vics 6-0. The scoring was done by the hour mark, by which time Vics had long thrown in the towel. Oddly for the last half an hour, Broughty seemed to lose interest in proceedings as well which they won't get away with against stronger opposition. The biggest surprise of the day was getting home and checking the other results. I'm sure supporters of all the other sides in the league would have been boosted to find out that Lochee Utd are fallible after all. A huge week ahead for us now as we go to North End on Wednesday and then travel to Carnoustie on Saturday.

Edited by Jimi Shandrix

Midlands Football League - 31/7/2021 Results:

Arbroath Victoria 1-2 Blairgowrie

Broughty Athletic 6-0 Brechin Victoria

Coupar Angus 0-5 Lochee Harp

Downfield 1-1 Forfar United

Dundee Violet 2-2 Tayport

Kirriemuir Thistle 2-1 Dundee St James

Letham 1-4 East Craigie

Lochee United 2-2 Dundee North End

Scone Thistle 1-4 Carnoustie Panmure

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

Not often Letham got a spanking like that at Perth Ammies, especially at home.

Hopefully see them get over it 

There could be a few more spanking at home from the top teams but I'm sure like any other team they will see what areas of the team need improved and try and get the players needed.  Was always going to be a tough first season but they have done a wee bit better than I thought they would so far. 🖒

Edited by Welly boy

13 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Made it along to Whitton today to see Broughty comfortably beat Brechin Vics 6-0. The scoring was done by the hour mark, by which time Vics had long thrown in the towel. Oddly for the last half an hour, Broughty seemed to lose interest in proceedings as well which they won't get away with against stronger opposition. The biggest surprise of the day was getting home and checking the other results. I'm sure supporters of all the other sides in the league would have been boosted to find out that Lochee Utd are fallible after all. A huge week ahead for us now as we go to North End on Wednesday and then travel to Carnoustie on Saturday.

Was there yesterday and was impressed by Broughty although Brechin looked very poor and were fortunate not to end up conceding double figures I think.

Where did Forfar Utd come from I dont recognise them.

What happened to Forfar West End or Forfar Albion this year not heard much of them.

Just now, CaspianChris said:

Was there yesterday and was impressed by Broughty although Brechin looked very poor and were fortunate not to end up conceding double figures I think.

Where did Forfar Utd come from I dont recognise them.

What happened to Forfar West End or Forfar Albion this year not heard much of them.

FWE are still in the league. Forfar Albion became Forfar Utd by merging with a local amateur team I think. We were good for an hour yesterday.

Amateur club was Lowson United who took over Forfar Albion and changed their name. Forfar Albion themselves were an amalgamation of Forfar East End and Forfar Celtic around 1970 or so when the old county leagues merged to form the Tayside setup and three Forfar junior clubs would have been overkill.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

4 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Amateur club was Lowson United who took over Forfar Albion and changed their name. Forfar Albion themselves were an amalgamation of Forfar East End and Forfar Celtic around 1970 or so when the old county leagues merged to form the Tayside setup and three Forfar junior clubs would have been overkill.

That intrigued me so had a look at the SFHA site. 1973/74 was the last season as Forfar East End and Forfar Celtic in the Midlands Region Junior League Division 2. Next season looks like the amalgamated side played as Forfar East End Celtic-before becoming Forfar Albion in 1975/76 when the league became the Tayside Region Junior League.

Beautiful day in Fundee. Should be lovely in the early evening for going to watch some football. I'm out injured again, so an evening in front the computer with all the clubs' twatter feeds open for me. Some intriguing games to look forward to tonight so let's see if I can trouble McBookies with my £2. Blairgowrie at home to Kirrie has all the look of a score draw about it. Both sides have had a steady if unspectacular start to the season and I don't think either would be too disappointed with the draw. Brechin Vics, fresh from a hiding at Broughty on Saturday, have the perfect game to recover at home to Couper Angus and will be on 12 points after tonight. My guess is 4-1 Vics. Carnoustie have done all that's been asked of them so far and I don't expect Downfield to put a blemish on their perfect record so far. They could be in for a tougher challenge on Saturday though. East Craigie should have enough to beat Violet even though they're having to play their "home" game at Downfield. I'm going to say 3-2 on that one. North End, fresh from their excellent draw with Lochee Utd on Saturday get to try and follow that up with a crack at another of the big 3 tonight at home to Broughty. The highlights from that game are on you tube and North End looked very good. Lochee only got a point with the last kick albeit a deserved one according to a mate who was at the game. A tough game for us certainly but one we'll win if we're at our best. Anything less, and we could be in trouble. Ah f**k it, enough of this sensible chat, 2-0 Broughty. A meeting of the two new boys with St.James at home to Letham. I fancy the away team to edge it 2-1. Doing what I do best, just picking scores out the air. Forfar Utd could be on the end of a Lochee Utd backlash tonight I fear. I'm going for a comfortable 3-0 win. Harp are at home to the unbeaten FWE and I'm going for a scoreless draw in this one. Finally Tayport will get their stuttering season back on track with a 3-1 win over Scone. Stick yr 2 quid on Vics, Carnoustie, East Craigie, Lochee Utd, Tayport and the draw between Blair and Kirrie. Add to that Benfica to beat Spartak Moscow and you will win the  princely sum of £41.21. Enjoy.

North End for me

Looks like a cracker of a fixture

I see Carnoustie are advertising the game v Broughty on Saturday as being recommended to buy tickets in advance. How many they anticipating? I'd like to have gone but unfortunately have secured a ticket to United Rangers. Probably still plenty of time to get to Carnoustie after a half time storm out right enough

6 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

North End for me

Looks like a cracker of a fixture

I see Carnoustie are advertising the game v Broughty on Saturday as being recommended to buy tickets in advance. How many they anticipating? I'd like to have gone but unfortunately have secured a ticket to United Rangers. Probably still plenty of time to get to Carnoustie after a half time storm out right enough

I think Carnoustie are maybe having a bit of a giraffe there, but my guess would be around 350.