The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Not convinced he's anywhere near as good as some people seem to think he is, but we'll wait and see.

I never rated his auld man as a top top goalkeeper. We have been spoilt down the years in that department.

How he managed to get Scotland caps and Campbell Money didn’t was down to the league he played in.

His dad will be the proudest guy ever if his son runs out at Hampden in a Scotland top.

15 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Not convinced he's anywhere near as good as some people seem to think he is, but we'll wait and see.

How highly are you seeing people rate him, as the most praise I've seen being dished out is that he's a better shout than Clark, Kelly, McCrorie and Marshall?

I haven’t seen enough of him to really give a proper verdict, but obviously is playing at the same level (and seemingly doing okay) Kelly failed at and is the same age as Kelly who is our youngest real option. At only 26, he has barely played 100 games either so you would hope there is plenty scope there for development too…

16 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Feel like there have been people clamouring for him to be involved for a long time, as though he'll be the answer to our goalkeeping issues, rather than just potentially a wee bit better than the other guys.

Got to remember that a few years ago he was very highly rated, playing for Man City etc. More recently it’s emerged that he’s less good than we thought, but that’s coincided with our goalkeeping situation becoming an impending crisis by the ageing of Gordon/Marshall/McGregor and more recently a current crisis due to the former breaking his leg and the other two retiring from Scotland duty.

Gunn is IMO the best keeper eligible to play for Scotland that can pull on a jersey in March and June. Should he be the number 1 over a healthy Gordon? Probably not. But then he becomes the number 1 again quickly after Gordon retires. 

Just now, craigkillie said:

Feel like there have been people clamouring for him to be involved for a long time, as though he'll be the answer to our goalkeeping issues, rather than just potentially a wee bit better than the other guys.

Attention seeking post.

If hes a wee bit better than our current choices, then good.

If hes alot better than our current choices then its great.

Bizzare to take a new player committing to us in a problem position as anything other than positive.

38 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Say we don’t end up with Gunn wanting to play for us in March. Who would everyone prefer between Clark and Kelly?

I’ve not seen much of either apart from the Edinburgh derby where Clark looked steady enough. 

24 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Kelly is simply too small, but Clark is freakishly large in a quite unnerving way, so on balance I'd go for Jon McLaughlin.

No David Marshall option? 

Good news if Gunn has had a change of mind, partly with how much it'll wind up the "he dusny care" mob. If SC decides he's our best choice by the time March comes around I'll trust him, I'd rather have him or Kelly over Clark purely due to the extra few years between them; and seeing as Kelly hasn't exactly hit the heights you'd be picking Clark so it gives them some good competition.

1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Gunn's likes on twitter are a mix of absolutely horrendous English patter and Matt Le Tissier conspiracy nut tweets so on that basis I think I'd rather not qualify for the Euros with Liam Kelly in goals.

You're in for a real surprise when you see Liam Kelly's tweets & likes...

25 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I can’t believe people are genuinely making social media “likes” to be the central pillar of the Scotland national team selection policy. Absurd. 

I can't believe people take everything they read on Pie and Bovril literally but here we are.

He'll have to hit the ground running, and show commitment, to win folk around i think. 

Feels to me like he'd only accept a call up as he thinks being capped would help his club career tbh, and he'd stop turning up eventually. 

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

I can’t believe people are genuinely making social media “likes” to be the central pillar of the Scotland national team selection policy. Absurd. 

You come across like you take every post on here far too seriously.

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I'm convinced he's much better than our other options at the moment. Zander Clark and Liam Kelly are in the Scott Bain category from what I've seen, decent mid table Scottish Premier keepers and a step up would be too much. Gunn seems to be playing at, and has played at a level above. 

Id take my chances on him with an eye to the future rather than bringing Marshall back (although I think that's the route SC will go)

2 hours ago, Squalor Vic said:

Id take my chances on him with an eye to the future rather than bringing Marshall back (although I think that's the route SC will go)

I dont think the story would be out there if it wasn't already happening, I expect its a done deal. He agrees to come over and is no 1 until he loses it.