Motherwell vs Greenock Morton - Scottish Cup 4th Round

Just starting the thread since these Scottish cup games are going to come in thick and fast.

The winner of this fixture will face the winner of the Stranraer vs Hibernian on the weekend beginning the 24st April. This game is currently scheduled to take place on 17th April with a 3pm Kick-off.  Friday 16th of April at 7pm. This may change so please keep an eye out for any announcements. 

This game has not been picked for Live TV coverage. Fans (both Motherwell and Morton) should sign up for an account here: ppv.motherwellfc.co.uk. After creating an account you should then be able to purchase a streaming pass for the game. Stream tickets are £12. More info can be found here: https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2021/04/09/live-stream-of-motherwell-v-greenock-morton/.

Please note that for Motherwell Season ticket holders, you will need to create an account separate from your season ticket account (if you haven't already done so). Its a different site from your season ticket account and you wont be able to view or purchase a ticket with it.

The last time that both teams played each other was during the 2019 Scottish league cup Group Stage.

• 19/7/19 - Motherwell 4-0 Greenock Morton FT - (League cup)
  • 22/7/17 - Motherwell 4-0 Greenock Morton FT -  - (League cup)
  • 22/9/15 - Greenock Morton 1-1 Motherwell (3-2 AET) - (League cup)
  • 4/2/12 - Motherwell 6-0 Greenock Morton FT - (Scottish cup)
  • 2/2/07 - Motherwell 2-0 Greenock Morton FT - (Scottish cup)
  • 24/8/04 - Greenock Morton 0-3 Motherwell FT  - (League cup)

Looking at the Past head to head records, it seems that the Home team has a major advantage. In fact you have to go back to 2004 for the last time the away team won. In the past 4 games where Motherwell was at home, they have scored 16 without reply. You have to go back to 1990 for the last time Morton scored at fir park which was a 4-3 victory to Motherwell in the league cup. Going by these statistics, it seems that we (Motherwell) should be walking this fixture, but i always assume that we will repeat the Albion rovers game from 2012/2013, especially with the current form that we are in. So many players who are simply not interested and are soon to be out of contract.

It seems that it is becoming a more regular occurrence for both teams to play each other, with only a 2 year gap between each meeting for the past 4 fixtures.

I beleive that we will win, but not as big as the previous matches would indicate. Both teams are fighting to avoid relegation from their respective leagues ( more avoiding the relegation play offs but automatic relegation has not been ruled out for either side). I think it will be a tight 2-0 victory, with both goals coming around the 70 to 80 minute. Cole and Roberts to score, and Polsworths Wife to go on another rant on twitter asking for a square go at Alexander.

Edited by Phillips455
Update Thread with Livestream link and details.

Yeah, I can't believe such a thorough OP didn't mention the 1991 cup tie(s). I'm hoping to get through without extra time and penalties on this occasion.

How are Morton doing these days? Any time I've heard OAM recently the commentator has been moaning about how turgid their games are. To be fair, a few of them have been Chick Young and we've not had a shortage of games that would make your eyes bleed this season.

5 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

22/9/15 - Greenock Morton 1-1 Motherwell (3-2 AET) - (League cup)

FWIW this might be the biggest laugh I've ever had at a game of football. We'd thundered right through the full range of emotions of watching a shite team denial, anger, bargaining, acceptance and seemed to all arrive at the stage of just having a big fucking laugh at how bad we were. I remember being gutted at our last minute equaliser because it meant I had to have another half hour of watching us. 

From Jake Taylor's substitution getting the biggest cheer of the night to the entirety of the Inverclyde constabulary wading in to sort out a mild disagreement between a couple of weans finishing up with an apparent boxing match in the dressing room after full time. 

1 minute ago, Archie McSquackle said:

And the subsequent manager sacking.

Chick Young was pretty much reporting it as a riot which was laughable although he had previous for a game at St. Mirren. Extremely heavy-handed policing made mountains out of molehills on both occasions.

Watching the undercover polis storm down the touchline like a stampede out the Superdry shop will stay with me til the end of my days. 

18 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

You have to go back to 1990 for the last time Morton scored at fir park which was a 4-3 victory to Motherwell in the league cup.

Robbed that night.

A last-minute postage stamp winner over a crowd of players from Rowan Alexander which referee Hopeless decided to disallow on the grounds of offside.

A travesty of a result in the Scottish Cup later that season.

Don't think Motherwell will need any help this time, though.

On 05/04/2021 at 23:39, Archie McSquackle said:

Yeah, I can't believe such a thorough OP didn't mention the 1991 cup tie(s). I'm hoping to get through without extra time and penalties on this occasion.

How are Morton doing these days? Any time I've heard OAM recently the commentator has been moaning about how turgid their games are. To be fair, a few of them have been Chick Young and we've not had a shortage of games that would make your eyes bleed this season.

Turgid is very much the word for it. We're alright in the middle of the park, without being spectacular, but we just have so little threat going forward that we need to set up to try and nick and goal and defend it. We've looked a lot more organised since Gus McPherson came in, but we're not exactly what I would call good or anything.

Don't envisage anything other than a comfortable home win. Got nothing but bad memories of games at Fir Park, other than the superb away support at the game in 2007. Over 9,000 at that game!

It better not get moved to Sunday, seen as we have Hearts on Tuesday and could really do with a result against them. I'd genuinely put out a reserve side if it does end up being Sunday, because it's Motherwell away and our strongest XI will inevitably get pumped anyway. I wouldn't normally indulge the idea of resting players for the cup but we're going out here anyway.

10 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

The funeral is supposed to be relatively low key. Will it even be televised?

If it has to be moved, can in not just be to 4 or 4.30pm and we all just get our curry deliveries ordered to come at full-time?

No thanks would prefer 18.00 ko. Funeral should be well over and that's suits my carryout better.

Even better move to Friday night giving us an extra day for the Hearts game.

7 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

Game has been moved to Friday 16th April at 7pm. Guess @Paisley Ton got his wish. I've updated the OP to reflect this.

Not really I am available on Friday night so will be obliged to now buy PPV and suffer a doing.

Maybe worth it getting an extra day to recover to play Hearts.

On 05/04/2021 at 18:50, Phillips455 said:

• 19/7/19 - Motherwell 4-0 Greenock Morton FT - (League cup)
  • 22/7/17 - Motherwell 4-0 Greenock Morton FT -  - (League cup)
  • 22/9/15 - Greenock Morton 1-1 Motherwell (3-2 AET) - (League cup)
  • 4/2/12 - Motherwell 6-0 Greenock Morton FT - (Scottish cup)
  • 2/2/07 - Motherwell 2-0 Greenock Morton FT - (Scottish cup)
  • 24/8/04 - Greenock Morton 0-3 Motherwell FT  - (League cup)

Looking at the Past head to head records, it seems that Motherwell have a major advantage.

Thought I'd tidy that up for you.

On 14/04/2021 at 13:44, Tri-TON said:

This is going to be another 4/5/6 to nil victories for the home side then.

With our scintillating "new" strike partnership of Devante "King" Cole and Chris "the Smiling Assassin" Long, that's the least you should expect.

In practice, I'm expecting it to be a lot tighter than that.