Ryan Jack to miss the Euros

G51

21 minutes ago, velo army said:

Sorry if I'm being thick here, but if it was 1 up top we'd be going with a 4-5-1 which would still require three in the middle as we'd be going with two wingers.

Or you could have the midfield narrow to dominate possession in the middle of the pitch and get the wing backs to do a shift to generate the width

18 minutes ago, Binos said:

Or you could have the midfield narrow to dominate possession in the middle of the pitch and get the wing backs to do a shift to generate the width

A narrow midfield with 5 in it, with full backs providing the width? They'd be falling over each other. 

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
2 hours ago, Binos said:
Spain did it for years
They have to be fit
Just a 4231 really 

But if you want to pick Jack, Gilmour, McGregor and McGinn in the same team you can't have a 4-2-3-1 since none of them are wide players.

The full backs provide the width 

Its not revolutionary 

Alan hutton used to do it for us

13 minutes ago, Binos said:

The full backs provide the width 

Its not revolutionary 

Alan hutton used to do it for us

That doesn't sound like a 4-2-3-1 then. Can you please show the team that you're going to pick which allows us to include Jack, McGregor, Gilmour and McGinn?

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

That doesn't sound like a 4-2-3-1 then. Can you please show the team that you're going to pick which allows us to include Jack, McGregor, Gilmour and McGinn?

Jack Gilmour 

Turnbull Mcginn Mcgregor 

Maybe 

Get as many good footballing midfielders in there

Back in real world we'll stick to a 3 and in some games like v Croatia the opposition will play a narrow 5 and completely overwhelm us

Although of course v Austria worked 

1 hour ago, Binos said:

Jack Gilmour 

Turnbull Mcginn Mcgregor 

Maybe 

Back in real world we'll stick to a 3 and in some games like v Croatia the opposition will play a narrow 5 and completely overwhelm us

That's not a team, that's a midfield.

2 hours ago, Binos said:

Jack Gilmour 

Turnbull Mcginn Mcgregor 

Maybe 

That’s 5 midfielders who all prefer to play centrally. None of them have any real pace. They aren’t slow, sure, but they’re leagues behind the likes of Adams and Burke (neither of whom can play there).

4-2-3-1 works well if you dominate possession with the best technical players (a la Spain/Barcelona) or with a winger or two with pace to burn, and/or with a trick or two.

That side has neither of those things, and no Scotland side will ever have the former.

It could have the latter but your need to drop at least one, but possibly two of your 3 for a winger or central attacker with pace (Fraser, McFadden in his pomp etc.)

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

6 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

That’s 5 midfielders who all prefer to play centrally. None of them have any real pace. They aren’t slow, sure, but they’re leagues behind the likes of Adams and Burke (neither of whom can play there).

4-2-3-1 works well if you dominate possession with the best technical players (a la Spain/Barcelona) or with a winger or two with pace to burn, and/or with a trick or two.

That side has neither of those things, and no Scotland side will ever have the former.

It could have the latter but your need to drop at least one, but possibly two of your 3 for a winger or central attacker with pace (Fraser, McFadden in his pomp etc.)

That was my point,  to pick 5 central midfielders, to play narrow and dominate possession with full backs providing the width 

All just musings anyway 

Not Clarkes game 

Edited by Binos

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

I'd say that (and teamwork) were his weakest attributes. Not being a dick, but did you see him play? He was rapid of thought and really swift with his footwork, but not pacey per se.

The best reference point i can think of is football manager🤣

If you google him on fm13 he was listed as acceleration 12 pace 13. Out of 20 if you've not played the game. So not rapid but not slow either. I've seen him play plenty and wager he could still out sprint you. Which is the yardstick I like to judge players speed on.

On 08/11/2021 at 15:13, BingMcCrosby said:

The best reference point i can think of is football manager🤣

If you google him on fm13 he was listed as acceleration 12 pace 13. Out of 20 if you've not played the game. So not rapid but not slow either. I've seen him play plenty and wager he could still out sprint you. Which is the yardstick I like to judge players speed on.

You gauge them against whether they can outsprint me? Challenge accepted! Get Faddy, Ronaldinho etc doon the park and I'll show them how tae run 😄