St Johnstone vs Rangers, Wednesday 21 April, 2021

We looked like a team that made 7 changes tonight.  Really disjointed for the first 10-15 minutes and lucky not to be behind. 

Got better as the game went on but never really took control. 

With regards to the penalty decisions, the first one I think they eventually get correct, the second one is a stonewaller and the third is such a laughably obvious "I need to make up for the last one" award it's not true. 

I thought the ref was pish for both sides tonight. Getting conned with those fucking shitey "oh, someone is at my back so I'll fall over now" free kicks. 

I thought Rooney was excellent for St Johnstone tonight. I couldn't even tell you what position he was playing as he seemed to be covering a few shifts tonight.  He did well after an early booking too.

21 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

We looked like a team that made 7 changes tonight.  Really disjointed for the first 10-15 minutes and lucky not to be behind. 

Got better as the game went on but never really took control. 

With regards to the penalty decisions, the first one I think they eventually get correct, the second one is a stonewaller and the third is such a laughably obvious "I need to make up for the last one" award it's not true. 

I thought the ref was pish for both sides tonight. Getting conned with those fucking shitey "oh, someone is at my back so I'll fall over now" free kicks. 

I thought Rooney was excellent for St Johnstone tonight. I couldn't even tell you what position he was playing as he seemed to be covering a few shifts tonight.  He did well after an early booking too.

Ref had a made half hour after changing his mind on the penalty. Went yellow mental. Booking on Wright comical for example.

Am I surprised by the standard of refereeing? Absolutely fucking not. 

Just now, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Ref had a made half hour after changing his mind on the penalty. Went yellow mental. Booking on Wright comical for example.

Am I surprised by the standard of refereeing? Absolutely fucking not. 

Aye, Wright's one was ridiculous. I'd forgotten about that one.  Was practically right in front of him too. 

3 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I wasn't sure it it was him that Tav's free kick caught in the side of the head or not. 

Ah, good shout. Not sure. 

Tav and Barisic’s crosses were weird tonight. It’s like they were kicking a waterlogged ball. Struggled to get any height on them.

32 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Just watched the highlights. Didn't think the first shout was a pen. Second was a stonewaller. Third I can see why but I think it's soft.

Interestingly enough Gerrard thought the third was a pen and St Johnstone should have had another.

Ref gave the first one for "Handball" apparently.... 🤦‍♂️

Really liked how the players responded to that first penalty situation, btw.

Mind went back to the Celtic game years ago, when Swanson gets his legs swiped in the box when we're 1-0 up, ignored by the ref who then awards a penalty to Celtic for it hitting Watson on the hip.

Heads completely went after that (it's the infamous "greatest team goal ever" game, where Celtic pass the ball lots against a team who've resorted to walking pace as they simply can't be fucked with the ref) and we got pumped. 

Last night they kept plugging away. 

Really pleased with most of that last night. We made a mistake for their goal and were punished but you know that's what the best teams do to you. I think I've gone easy on Clark compared to some in recent weeks but why hasn't he gone with both hands, the ball isn't totally out of reach. Positioning a bit suspect too? 

It's been the same all season with not scoring when we are on top and we had three or four great chances in that early flurry. Lost a bit when Melamed went off and Vialli never really got into the game. Other subs didn't really impact either. 

Saints have a good shape and largely kept Rangers out. Sunday will be harder because they'll bring back the players that can hurt you more on an individual level. 

Just have to give it our best shot. 

1 hour ago, Radford said:

Really pleased with most of that last night. We made a mistake for their goal and were punished but you know that's what the best teams do to you. I think I've gone easy on Clark compared to some in recent weeks but why hasn't he gone with both hands, the ball isn't totally out of reach. Positioning a bit suspect too? 

It's been the same all season with not scoring when we are on top and we had three or four great chances in that early flurry. Lost a bit when Melamed went off and Vialli never really got into the game. Other subs didn't really impact either. 

Saints have a good shape and largely kept Rangers out. Sunday will be harder because they'll bring back the players that can hurt you more on an individual level. 

Just have to give it our best shot. 

I don't think you can really blame Clark for the goal tbh, Wright hit the corner with it IIRC. It was Rooney's fault for making a truly bizarre header.

So St Johnstone, objectively a much worse defensive team than Rangers (resulting in STJ having more opportunities to concede penalties) have conceded exactly the same number of penalties this season as us? A team who the referees are sworn to protect through their institutional bias?

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

Edited by G51

14 minutes ago, G51 said:

So St Johnstone, objectively a much worse defensive team than Rangers (resulting in STJ having more opportunities to concede penalties) have conceded exactly the same number of penalties this season as us? A team who the referees are sworn to protect through their institutional bias?

How many have Rangers been awarded as a matter of interest?