St Johnstone vs Rangers, Wednesday 21 April, 2021

Just now, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I hate these more than any proposed Super League. How stupid do referees have to be to get mugged off by these every single time? Defenders in the EPL are the absolute worst for it. I blame John Terry for starting it.

It's probably my biggest bugbear with football at the moment.  As soon as anyone feels even the slightest hint of contact at their back, they fall over on the ball and the ref gives a free kick every single time.

1 minute ago, KnightswoodBear said:

It's probably my biggest bugbear with football at the moment.  As soon as anyone feels even the slightest hint of contact at their back, they fall over on the ball and the ref gives a free kick every single time.

Yes, but apparently they "felt contact" and "are entitled to go down".

Flamethrower to the face of anyone making these justifications.

Kenny Dalglish and, if you want to look at a real world class striker, Richard Cadette, made a career of holding the opposition at bay by judicious use of the erse.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Contracted until 2023. Think this Summer would be the right time for him to move on tbh, not that I want him too, just for his development he's probably ready for the next stage. Easy for players to stay too long at a level and stagnate.

With him being a regular in NI squads now, I'd be disappointed if we couldn't break our transfer record for him (£1.75m), but you never know what's happening with clauses etc., so maybe a smaller fee with large sell on would be a better gamble.

Aye I've heard from a lot of NI fans that his energy in their games is really impressive. Good that you have him tied down as well as too many Scottish sides are losing promising young players on bosman deals.

2 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I’m not surprised at all we’ve conceded very few penalties. Our entire defensive plan is to stop our opponents getting touches in the box and it’s something we do very effectively. See last night as a prime example...

Thank god we do. Imagine how many goals we'd concede if clownshoes had to save shots taken inside the box.

Edited by Kyle

25 minutes ago, G51 said:

I love McCann as a player. I'd really like to sign him, and with a midfield needing rebuilt we might pay the money.

McCann has already talked about learning from Davis on International duty. He'd be a very astute signing for Rangers, although I'd appreciate it if you either left him alone for another year or loaned him back to us. I think he's got a bit to learn at Saints yet and Davidson is a good manager for him, he's getting better all the time in terms of tactical discipline.

8 minutes ago, Kyle said:

McCann has already talked about learning from Davis on International duty. He'd be a very astute signing for Rangers, although I'd appreciate it if you either left him alone for another year or loaned him back to us. I think he's got a bit to learn at Saints yet and Davidson is a good manager for him, he's getting better all the time in terms of tactical discipline.

He reminds me of Davis a lot, in that when Davis first broke through he wasn't a sitting midfielder - he was a bit of everything. McCann's the same. You could play him as a sitting midfielder and he'd do well at it, but you'll get more from him if you let him get forward too.

4 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I’m not surprised at all we’ve conceded very few penalties. Our entire defensive plan is to stop our opponents getting touches in the box and it’s something we do very effectively. See last night as a prime example...

Was going to make that point earlier but a few of the stranger St Johnstone fans get upset when you highlight this as a strength.

13 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Was going to make that point earlier but a few of the stranger St Johnstone fans get upset when you highlight this as a strength.

Do they? What an odd thing to get upset about.

Hate to be that guy, but Rangers had 2 shots on target yesterday, and scored 1.

Zander Clark is ridiculously consistent at conceding if an opponent has more than 1 shot on target in a match.

Our defence really has been unreal this season.

2 hours ago, Kyle said:

Do they? What an odd thing to get upset about.

Got a few red dots and a load of abuse when I praised Tommy Wright's tactics in a Pittodrie win. You scored on the counter then doubled up on Cosgrove to win the second ball. The direct ball to Cosgrove was our only tactic that night.

41 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hate to be that guy, but Rangers had 2 shots on target yesterday, and scored 1.

Zander Clark is ridiculously consistent at conceding if an opponent has more than 1 shot on target in a match.

Our defence really has been unreal this season.

Give the stats a rest mate. It can't be good for you.

Clark had no chance with the goal.

11 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Give the stats a rest mate. It can't be good for you.

Clark had no chance with the goal.

Disagree with that one. He barely gets any push off from his dive, if he moves his feet quicker and is more agile he gets across to tip it wide. As a goalkeeper, he’s simply too static, for example I’ve no doubt a Jack Alnwick would have saved it. 

15 hours ago, Widge said:

Disagree with that one. He barely gets any push off from his dive, if he moves his feet quicker and is more agile he gets across to tip it wide. As a goalkeeper, he’s simply too static, for example I’ve no doubt a Jack Alnwick would have saved it. 

Exactly this.  A more mobile keeper stops that one. 

We'd be as well having a traffic cone in goals.