Bands re-doing their own songs

scottsdad

Caught 5 minutes of a Paul Simon concert on TV the other night. He was doing a reggae version of Bridge Over Troubled Water. It was bloody awful. Firstly, he can't sing like Art Garfunkel. Secondly, reggae (like rap) makes songs worse.

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Caught 5 minutes of a Paul Simon concert on TV the other night. He was doing a reggae version of Bridge Over Troubled Water. It was bloody awful. Firstly, he can't sing like Art Garfunkel. Secondly, reggae (like rap) makes songs worse.

I can imagine Paul Simon's attempt at reggae being less than brilliant. 

But here's a song made much better by rap:

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

23 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I can imagine Paul Simon's attempt at reggae being less than brilliant.

I won't be having a bad word said about Paul Simon. He could attempt Simpsonwave Folktronica and it would be brilliant. 

On the subject, Dylan recorded two versions of Forever Young, fast and slow. Little Feat (or more accurately, Lowell George) re-recorded fucking loads of their songs too, Willin' has about 8 versions and so does Feat Don't Fail Me Now. 

I do hate to be a pedant, but Bring the Noise is a rap track (arguably) improved by the addition of a sprinkling of thrash metal, considering Public Enemy released the original version years before Anthrax got involved. I prefer the original, personally.

Rap is great, but that trend to sandwich a random rap bridge in to songs in order to increase cross-appeal and sales? That's just cynical record industry pish and can get to f**k. Going to be a right laff when something like skiffle makes a massive comeback and every song in the charts has to stop for a few bars of Lonnie Donegan's successor.

There's a thread idea, actually - decent songs ruined by half-arsed star rapper cameos. More than thirty years' worth of material to work through.

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I do hate to be a pedant, but Bring the Noise is a rap track (arguably) improved by the addition of a sprinkling of thrash metal, considering Public Enemy released the original version years before Anthrax got involved. I prefer the original, personally.

Rap is great, but that trend to sandwich a random rap bridge in to songs in order to increase cross-appeal and sales? That's just cynical record industry pish and can get to f**k. Going to be a right laff when something like skiffle makes a massive comeback and every song in the charts has to stop for a few bars of Lonnie Donegan's successor.

There's a thread idea, actually - decent songs ruined by half-arsed star rapper cameos. More than thirty years' worth of material to work through.

That's not pedantry, that's correctly calling out medical grade stupidity. 

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

That's not pedantry, that's correctly calling out medical grade stupidity. 

Look, you like Public Enemy and/or Anthrax, so you're OK with me  :lol:

On 15/05/2021 at 09:57, BFTD said:

I always wished Slayer would re-record their first album, Show No Mercy. It was the only one I never liked and, as they played the songs live and changed them over time, they became much better.

First time I heard songs like The Antichrist was on the Decade of Aggression live album, and it was a huge disappointment when I finally heard the original versions  :lol:

I really like that album. I quite enjoy the Iron Maiden as recorded by Venom type sound they had on it.

2 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

I really like that album. I quite enjoy the Iron Maiden as recorded by Venom type sound they had on it.

Yeah, that pretty much sums up their sound at that early stage.

It got some really poor reviews at the time, just like Venom did  :lol:

13 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Yeah, that pretty much sums up their sound at that early stage.

It got some really poor reviews at the time, just like Venom did  :lol:

They have some alright stuff, it would be nice if it didn't sound like they were recording down the phone though.

• 2 months later...

Beth was the biggest commercial hit for Kiss, much to the annoyance of Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley.  It was written and sung by drummer Peter Criss and is very different to their other songs.  There is an orchestral version and an unplugged version.

When he was replaced with new drummer Eric Carr, they re-recorded the song with Eric singing and drumming.

On a side note, Eric Carr died on the same day as Freddie Mercury.

On 14/05/2021 at 14:53, Lurkst said:

I remember back in the 80s Iron Maiden re-recorded some Paul Dianno era songs with Bruce Dickinson singing and put them out as B-sides IIRC.

Sounded vastly inferior and was not repeated AFAIK.

Never in the studio, only live versions as far as I've ever heard.

On 15/05/2021 at 09:57, BFTD said:

I always wished Slayer would re-record their first album, Show No Mercy. It was the only one I never liked and, as they played the songs live and changed them over time, they became much better.

First time I heard songs like The Antichrist was on the Decade of Aggression live album, and it was a huge disappointment when I finally heard the original versions  :lol:

SNM is fantastic. My secret Slayer errr secret is that I think Hell Awaits is toilet. Greatly surpassed by the one before, and the three masterpieces after.

On 15/05/2021 at 11:37, BFTD said:

Speaking of which, Latino artists generally release versions of their songs in both Spanish and English. Ricky Martin and Christina Aguilera are the first names that spring to mind. Shakira too?

Opeth of course released In Cauda Venenum a year or so ago in English and their native Swedish. Mikael considers the Swedish one to be definitive.