Swansea Rioting

Just discovered there appeared to be a riot in a housing estate in Swansea last night.

South Wales police have already promised robust action against those who took part. The cause of the rioting has been attributed to police breaking up a gathering or interfering in someone’s memorial service.

Windows smashed in, cars destroyed, gardens destroyed and allegedly a dog was set on fire.

Has anyone on P&B took part in a riot?

Has anyone set a car on fire and rolled it down the hill?

Has anyone set a dog on fire?

I lived in South Wales for 3 years. It is a pretty poor place north of the M4, the old mining villages all ruined. But Swansea was on a different level. Went there a few times and it just struck me as decayed. Old buildings left to ruin, loads of poverty, very run down. Parks covered in graffiti.

Ironically as you drive into Swansea you pass the shiny stadium for the Ospreys rugby team surrounded by the luxury flats and stuff. Big out of town shopping villages so that folk can drive from all around without actually going into Swansea. 

I also had the most wonderful curry at a curry house there, though oddly they put a dod of mushy peas on the side. 

I was at Leeds festival the years it had riots of various sizes. It was great entertainment to watch. 

I've also been in Barcelona when they won the Champions League and it's fair to say it's a bit more lively than a few broken bottles and launched traffic cones. The local bams and the Guardia Civil absolutely go for it. 

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

I lived in South Wales for 3 years. It is a pretty poor place north of the M4, the old mining villages all ruined. But Swansea was on a different level. Went there a few times and it just struck me as decayed. Old buildings left to ruin, loads of poverty, very run down. Parks covered in graffiti.

Ironically as you drive into Swansea you pass the shiny stadium for the Ospreys rugby team surrounded by the luxury flats and stuff. Big out of town shopping villages so that folk can drive from all around without actually going into Swansea. 

I also had the most wonderful curry at a curry house there, though oddly they put a dod of mushy peas on the side. 

Guacamole, imho

There’s a documentary about drug addicts in Swansea that Vice did about ten years ago, it’s in YouTube and it is really unbelievable. It’s like a different world, a parallel society of people genuinely behaving and living like animals.

They intersperse the scenes of drug addicts shoving needles up their arses and abusing their children with an old guy talking about the industrial heritage of the area, the contrast between the dignity and pride of those times and the degradation of the people portrayed was really jarring.

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

I was at Leeds festival the years it had riots of various sizes. It was great entertainment to watch. 

I've also been in Barcelona when they won the Champions League and it's fair to say it's a bit more lively than a few broken bottles and launched traffic cones. The local bams and the Guardia Civil absolutely go for it. 

Same in Amsterdam or used to be when Ajax win league. They all gather in leidseplein and players come out on a balcony with trophy, once its over and the normal punters leave a full on riot against the police breaks out, though the police go straight into tear gas and baton charges without much hesitation. 

Edited by BigDoddyKane