Who will be the Banter Kings of Scottish Football 2021-22

53 minutes ago, afc_blockhead said:

Hearts surely will compete for this title.

A struggle to win a poor division and cup defeats to Brora and Alloa has been followed by looking like you will compete with pretty much the same squad next season.

Another relegation completed by Dundee on the final day maybe? 

bad taste ew GIF by Great Big Story

15 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Okay, so that leaves the honours table looking like;

2020-21 Celtic

2019-20 Hearts

2018-19 Falkirk/ Dundee

2017-18 Brechin City ?

2016-17 Dundee United/ Inverness CT

2015-16 Rangers

2014-15 Rangers

2013-14 Hibs

2012-13 Rangers

2011-12 Rangers

- Sacking our manager in August after the ignominy of losing a meaningless penalty shootout to Dunfermline at Tynecastle, having already had our exit from the League Cup confirmed.

- Going on a weeks-long manager search - interviewing Steve McClaren - before we discovered that "the right man was just along the corridor", and Craig Levein hired Craig Levein.

- Forgetting to order seats for our new stand, delaying the opening by several weeks.

- "Regrets? No, it's a good laugh isn't it?"

Things quietened down a bit towards the end of the season, but the healthy (unassailable?) lead built in August and September makes Heart of Midlothian a worthy nomination for Banter Kings 2017/18.

Edited by DC92

1 hour ago, afc_blockhead said:

Hearts surely will compete for this title.

A struggle to win a poor division and cup defeats to Brora and Alloa has been followed by looking like you will compete with pretty much the same squad next season.

Another relegation completed by Dundee on the final day maybe? 

We won by 12 points in a 27-game season, and then the 2nd placed team easily dispatched the 11th placed Premiership team.

There is also no basis for saying we'll have the same squad. We'll probably make loads of signings like we do every summer.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hearts having Boring Bobbie in charge. Means they'll likely grind their way to 5th, get knocked out both Cups in the Quarters, having someone (Boyce) score 10+ goals, yet their fans will still all be absolutely seething.

Can't believe the fans won't be happy because Liam Boyce scored 11 goals in a shite and boring season.

Guest TheJTS98
14 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Can't believe the fans won't be happy because Liam Boyce scored 11 goals in a shite and boring season.

Complaining about our shite team makes us entitled. We should really just react to every bad result by saying 'It's only a game! Happy just to be here!' and smiling anyway.

Any other response is entitled and bad. We are bad. We are entitled. We are bad.

Edited by TheJTS98

Hearts fans moaning about folk calling them "entitled moaners", while moaning about what they've achieved in a season that hasnt even started yet.

The banter is bubbling nicely in Gorgie.

15 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

Complaining about our shite team makes us entitled. We should really just react to every bad result by saying 'It's only a game! Happy just to be here!' and smiling anyway.

Any other response is entitled and bad. We are bad. We are entitled. We are bad.

A 5th place finish in isolation would be decent enough from where we are just now, but how can you predict we will continue to play eye-bleeding, incoherent Neilsonball and continue to do nothing in the cups - two things the manager is criticised for by Hearts and non-Hearts fans alike - and expect people to be happy about it?:lol:

Stendel's brief spell aside, we've been managed by some combination of Levein and his pals for 7 years now. We've already seen that this brand of management brings diminishing returns, stagnation and then decline. 3rd, 5th, 6th, 6th, 12th.

If we finish 5th next season, but show genuine signs of building some sort of team identity and ability to produce big performances then I'll be very happy. If we sign a heap of dross this summer, bumble along and scrape 5th, then bomb half the squad out then replace them with another heap of dross the following summer, then I will be far less so. Unfortunately the latter is far likelier than the former under this manager.

55 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

You’re a bit sensitive to that word to be honest. 

Guest TheJTS98
17 minutes ago, DC92 said:

A 5th place finish in isolation would be decent enough from where we are just now, but how can you predict we will continue to play eye-bleeding, incoherent Neilsonball and continue to do nothing in the cups - two things the manager is criticised for by Hearts and non-Hearts fans alike - and expect people to be happy about it?

It's bizarre. The decline since autumn of 2018 has been incredible.

Fifth would be a decent result, but clear of any kind of relegation battle and showing signs of building a side that won't need to be totally rebuilt next year would do me. And a cup run.

17 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

You’re a bit sensitive to that word to be honest. 

I'm sensitive to any cliched bullshit. The logical conclusion to the criticism that any team's fans are 'entitled' is the acceptance that results don't matter at all and fans should just accept anything whatsoever. No minimum level of expectation is acceptable.

It's a meaningless concept that tabloidises the discussion of fitba.

Edited by TheJTS98

5 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

It's bizarre. The decline since autumn of 2018 has been incredible.

Fifth would be a decent result, but clear of any kind of relegation battle and showing signs of building a side that won't need to be totally rebuilt next year would do me. And a cup run.

I'm sensitive to any cliched bullshit. The logical conclusion to the criticism that any team's fans are 'entitled' is the acceptance that results don't matter at all and fans should just accept anything whatsoever. No minimum level of expectation is acceptable.

1. It’s a multiple fan forum that is basically just a platform for folk to launch Grenades at opposition fans. It’s what makes it miles better than one club echo chamber forums. You may be taking it all a little literally.

2. your suggestion that it’s as binary as either being entitled or having no expectation whatsoever is clearly false. 

3. Given hearts propensity for dipping into the lower leagues, 10th or above should be considered a success until you can sustain a solid few years at the big table. 

Edited by Dons_1988

Guest TheJTS98
1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

1. It’s a multiple fan forum that is basically just a platform for folk to launch Grenades at opposition fans. It’s what makes it miles better than one club echo chamber forums. 

2. your suggestion that it’s as binary as either being entitled or having no expectation whatsoever is clearly false. 

3. Given hearts propensity for dipping into the lower leagues, 10th or above should be considered a success until you can sustain a solid few years at the big table. 

1. I know. It's why I don't use KB. All for grenades, but not all for cliches.

2 and 3 go together.  I don't think it is false. All clubs have expectations based on their resources. The fact that Hearts were in a position to get relegated at all is a disgrace and a sign of shambolic management. There's no way a club with Hearts' resources should be aiming any lower than the top half of the league. Yet, we're so badly run that we could well struggle. I think expecting a club to perform to the level of its resources is perfectly reasonable.

Anyway. Entitled is added to my crusade list. I won't rest until it's in the bin with 'the best team always wins the league' and Scottish people who say 'kits' instead of 'strips'.

1 minute ago, TheJTS98 said:

1. I know. It's why I don't use KB. All for grenades, but not all for cliches.

2 and 3 go together.  I don't think it is false. All clubs have expectations based on their resources. The fact that Hearts were in a position to get relegated at all is a disgrace and a sign of shambolic management. There's no way a club with Hearts' resources should be aiming any lower than the top half of the league. Yet, we're so badly run that we could well struggle. I think expecting a club to perform to the level of its resources is perfectly reasonable.

Anyway. Entitled is added to my crusade list. I won't rest until it's in the bin with 'the best team always wins the league' and Scottish people who say 'kits' instead of 'strips'.

Entitlement amongst football fans 100% exists. More so among certain fans at certain clubs. That’s not even up for debate to be honest so it’s a terrible crusade.

Expecting hearts not to be relegated doesn’t count as entitled, but I know hearts fans who think they are much bigger than they actually are, as I do Aberdeen fans. They exist I’m afraid, and more so at our clubs than say a Motherwell or st Johnstone. 

Guest TheJTS98
8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Entitlement amongst football fans 100% exists. More so among certain fans at certain clubs. That’s not even up for debate to be honest so it’s a terrible crusade.

Expecting hearts not to be relegated doesn’t count as entitled, but I know hearts fans who think they are much bigger than they actually are, as I do Aberdeen fans. They exist I’m afraid, and more so at our clubs than say a Motherwell or st Johnstone. 

In my experience most football fans over-estimate the significance and potential of their club. It's just how we are. Not long ago I was in a pub with a couple of guys arguing for about an hour about whether Derby or Sheffield Wednesday were the bigger club. I mean, who cares? But they both did.

The Motherwell and St Johnstone thing doesn't work as a comparison. Those two clubs have spent ages more or less where they want to be.

And that sense of the E word is always exaggerated by those on the outside. I get told routinely by friends who support other clubs how big Hearts fans think our club is etc. Yet I rarely meet a Hearts fan who actually thinks this stuff. I've got a mate who is a Newcastle fan who is often told his support is entitled too. Yet all he and his mates want is a club that tries to win things from time to time.

I know loads of Hearts supporters of various ages and levels of interest and with varying degrees of sense. Yet pretty much everyone agrees that we should win cups a bit more often than we do and qualify for Europe more often than we don't. I'm not sure how that becomes a criticism. It's just made up nonsense.

The crusade goes on. Get on the right side of history.

Edited by TheJTS98

1 minute ago, TheJTS98 said:

In my experience most football fans over-estimate the significance and potential of their club. It's just how we are. Not long ago I was in a pub with a couple of guys arguing for about an hour about whether Derby or Sheffield Wednesday were the bigger club. I mean, who cares? But they both did.

The Motherwell and St Johnstone thing doesn't work as a comparison. Those two clubs have spent ages more or less where they want to be.

And that sense of the E word is always exaggerated by those on the outside. I get told routinely by friends who support other clubs how big Hearts fans think our club is etc. Yet I rarely meet a Hearts fan who actually thinks this stuff. I've got a mate who is a Newcastle fan who is often told his support is entitled too. Yet all he and his mates want is a club that tries to win things from time to time.

I know loads of Hearts supporters of various ages and levels of interest and with varying degrees of sense. Yet pretty much everyone agrees that we should win cups a bit more often than we do and qualify for Europe more often than we don't. I'm not sure how that becomes a criticism. It's just made up nonsense.

The crusade goes on. Get on the right side of history.

No one is saying all hearts fans feel like this, so your wee personal anecdotes are worthless I’m afraid. These people exist, it’s just a fact. 

Going back to my original post, you’re on a forum where opposition fans pick up on those people and extrapolate it as a wind up. You like to think it wouldn’t cause someone to start a crusade to eradicate a word but here we are. 

Guest TheJTS98
3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

No one is saying all hearts fans feel like this, so your wee personal anecdotes are worthless I’m afraid. These people exist, it’s just a fact. 

Going back to my original post, you’re on a forum where opposition fans pick up on those people and extrapolate it as a wind up. You like to think it wouldn’t cause someone to start a crusade to eradicate a word but here we are. 

I'm afraid you're too late. There are some high-profile names on board and the media blitz starts on Monday.

The E-word will be consigned to history by sometimes between lunch and sundown on Thursday.

I do quite enjoy different fans' views of each other though. Usually, for example, what Aberdeen fans think Hearts fans think is really just what Aberdeen tell each other Hearts fans think. And so on etc.

I'd like to assure you I am aware of the concept of a discussion board.

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

Full banter points only apply if Dundee have signed Obika and he scores the winner.

Going by our previous signing policy of St Mirren strikers and previous success of relegating those c***s, this might not be such a far fetched idea.

5 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

I'm afraid you're too late. There are some high-profile names on board and the media blitz starts on Monday.

The E-word will be consigned to history by sometimes between lunch and sundown on Thursday.

I do quite enjoy different fans' views of each other though. Usually, for example, what Aberdeen fans think Hearts fans think is really just what Aberdeen tell each other Hearts fans think. And so on etc.

I'd like to assure you I am aware of the concept of a discussion board.

Fans views of themselves are funnier. For example, you’ve convinced yourself all hearts fans are sensible, reasonable people with a healthy expectation level of their club. 

Guest TheJTS98
2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Fans views of themselves are funnier. For example, you’ve convinced yourself all hearts fans are sensible, reasonable people with a healthy expectation level of their club. 

I know too many Hearts supporters to think this.

But I think the proportion of our support with its head in the clouds is no bigger than you'll find at any other club. It's just scale that changes.

You had your chance to get on board. Now you'll need to explain to your grandchildren why you weren't part of this.

On 03/06/2021 at 16:57, PauloPerth said:

Motherwell - The steady reliable veterans of the Premiership are like your Gran at family gatherings; friendly, inoffensive, and almost part of the furniture as you know they'll always be there. Until one day you get a phone call and they're dead.  

LB3.gif

And one day you're lion shit. It's the circle of life.