Bo'ness United 2021/22

Deanburn Dave

53 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Guess they maybe needed to drop a contract and receive a transfer fee to be able to do the Murray Carstairs deal and the influx from Camelon seemed to lead to issues in the dressing room so maybe his face didn't fit regardless of how well he was playing.

Maybe right about the contract etc. Think the dressing room stuff and him not fitting in is well wide of the mark.

47 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Maybe right about the contract etc. Think the dressing room stuff and him not fitting in is well wide of the mark.

Do you think the number / calibre of signings earlier on this season, from Camelon has perhaps backfired for Bo'ness? Genuine question, as although I did not think Bo'ness would necessarily win the Lowland League, I thought your team would have been much higher up the league than were Bo'ness sits at the moment.

Is it that teams in the Lowland League are better than the club anticipated or are the news signings as well as existing players just not good enough to be in the top half of the league? I know you are but 1 of a supporter on this forum, but it would be good to know of your thoughts sof the season so far. Cheers

48 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Do you think the number / calibre of signings earlier on this season, from Camelon has perhaps backfired for Bo'ness? Genuine question, as although I did not think Bo'ness would necessarily win the Lowland League, I thought your team would have been much higher up the league than were Bo'ness sits at the moment.

Is it that teams in the Lowland League are better than the club anticipated or are the news signings as well as existing players just not good enough to be in the top half of the league? I know you are but 1 of a supporter on this forum, but it would be good to know of your thoughts sof the season so far. Cheers

The fact that BU’s players leaving may now be into double figures at this stage of the season certainly says the manager got things very wrong .

He seems to be trying to correct but probably too late to get too much further up the table now .

To sign 6 players from a team a league below was never going to work . Was always surprised how Max thought it could .

Regarding our opponents , most have been faster and sometimes far younger . Most of them also with a big strong front man .

Personally thought at start mid table was our place and stick with that .

Rebuild for next season .

12 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Good to see Herdy being allowed to throw money at putting the Camelon side that weren’t quite good enough to challenge for the EOS title back together. 

If Skinner is away to Lithgy, the price might’ve been right, but it’s a bit lame any player who wants to step down a level when they’ve been a regular in the side and playing very well in the LL. Would hope the Rose had to pay over the odds for him but have my doubts. 

We sold two to the Rose got Kyle Wilson plus cash I heard. No doubt there will rumours regarding Skinner as he played for Herd at Camelon and if they do happen to be true then he won’t be going cheap. 
The signing of Murray Carstairs has set the rumour mill going but it’s a good time to bring in a seasoned defender to play along side Skinner, Stuart Hunter can’t play forever. 

14 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Good to see Herdy being allowed to throw money at putting the Camelon side that weren’t quite good enough to challenge for the EOS title back together. 

If Skinner is away to Lithgy, the price might’ve been right, but it’s a bit lame any player who wants to step down a level when they’ve been a regular in the side and playing very well in the LL. Would hope the Rose had to pay over the odds for him but have my doubts. 

Any possibility of Ruari Marlennan going the opposite direction? 

4 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Guess they maybe needed to drop a contract and receive a transfer fee to be able to do the Murray Carstairs deal and the influx from Camelon seemed to lead to issues in the dressing room so maybe his face didn't fit regardless of how well he was playing.

It's funny how people hear a rumour, then invent their own spin on it.

The gamble Max took in appointing John Millar as his number 2 was always going to be risky, as he would run away to join Herd if a new gig came up.  The players he brought with him were always deemed as 'back-up' from day 1.  They would all have to play their way into a team that had been decimated by two old heads retiring (Campbell & Snowden) and two more leaving (Donnelly & Ritchie).  For various reasons, only Skinner was up to the job and has shone.  Your remark about not fitting in, is just so much 💩.

It is no secret the 'wee rose' want him and it must seem the easy thing to do to join up with your other pals now at lithgae but giving in to that would be the ruin of him and his development.  It is true every player has a price but every player has a choice too.  Greg is so much better than them.

31 minutes ago, Jambo'ness said:

Total over-reaction to what I posted and using the red dot function on someone who is just interested in what's happening is uncalled for.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

4 hours ago, boheesian said:

We sold two to the Rose got Kyle Wilson plus cash I heard. No doubt there will rumours regarding Skinner as he played for Herd at Camelon and if they do happen to be true then he won’t be going cheap. 
The signing of Murray Carstairs has set the rumour mill going but it’s a good time to bring in a seasoned defender to play along side Skinner, Stuart Hunter can’t play forever. 

Like you I see the signing of Carstairs as a replacement for Hunter and not Skinner. Skinner/Carstairs could be a great pairing 

3 hours ago, Jambo'ness said:

The gamble Max took in appointing John Millar as his number 2 was always going to be risky, as he would run away to join Herd if a new gig came up.  The players he brought with him were always deemed as 'back-up' from day 1.  They would all have to play their way into a team that had been decimated by two old heads retiring (Campbell & Snowden) and two more leaving (Donnelly & Ritchie).  For various reasons, only Skinner was up to the job and has shone.  Your remark about not fitting in, is just so much 💩.

It is no secret the 'wee rose' want him and it must seem the easy thing to do to join up with your other pals now at lithgae but giving in to that would be the ruin of him and his development.  It is true every player has a price but every player has a choice too.  Greg is so much better than them.

U got keir macaulay from us as well

6 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

I think to some extent Max and Bo’ness were stuck between a rock and a hard place. It’s no big secret that Bo’ness don’t have as big a budget as some other sides and like any other league competition for the top players is fierce, but our squad was quite simply short on bodies and the numbers needed boosting. Then the furlough drama at Camelon meant a bunch of their players became available.

Personally, despite the Camelon lot having not panned out as we’d have hoped, I can fully understand why Bo’ness signed them. A bunch of younger guys who showed signs of being a potentially good side under Herdy at Camelon; so in that sense they all might’ve been a worthwhile gamble. However it seems the step-up to Lowland might’ve been too much for some, or they just aren’t ready yet. There’s also the case that some might’ve been able to make the step-up eventually, but just couldn’t cement themselves in the BU team and didn’t want to be sat on the bench every week. Which is fair enough. 

That’s my take on it.

Edited by 8MileBU

1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:

I think to some extent Max and Bo’ness were stuck between a rock and a hard place. It’s no big secret that Bo’ness don’t have as big a budget as some other sides and like any other league competition for the top players is fierce, but our squad was quite simply short on bodies and the numbers needed boosting. Then the furlough drama at Camelon meant a bunch of their players became available.

Personally, despite the Camelon lot having not panned out as we’d have hoped, I can fully understand why Bo’ness signed them. A bunch of younger guys who showed signs of being a potentially good side under Herdy at Camelon; so in that sense they all might’ve been a worthwhile gamble. However it seems the step-up to Lowland might’ve been too much for some, or they just aren’t ready yet. There’s also the case that some might’ve been able to make the step-up eventually, but just couldn’t cement themselves in the BU team and didn’t want to be sat on the bench every week. Which is fair enough. 

That’s my take on it.

The players you took. Skinner wasn't the best for me but i think right across the board a lack of centre halfs of quality at the moment is driving the prices up. McKenzie and McMullan are top EOS premier players and as you say may over time had broke in. Greg MacPherson it was probably a step too far giving he only had 6 months at Camelon and was at dunipace before hand. The two who went to the Rose Stowe and Docherty are the two that would be more than comfortable in the Lowland League.  Keir MacAulay has a lot of potential as well.

We punched above our weight in many respects. If you actually look at the season that was stopped in march 2020.  We were 2nd when we lost 2-1 to you Stowe had fitness issues and by March when play was stopped we had dropped to 5th Docherty got injured and looked like being out for 6 weeks. We mostly relied on Stowe, docherty and an ageing David Morrison to hold the midfield together. The defence and the goalie that replaced Shaw was dire.

12 hours ago, changeisneeded said:

Any possibility of Ruari Marlennan going the opposite direction? 

He was offered to Boness athletic as part of the deal to bring the forward to Linlithgow back he didn’t want to leave Linlithgow and why would he with the wages he gets and signing a 3 year deal