Living with cancer (and madwullie memorial thread)

On 29/03/2023 at 21:00, scottsdad said:

Cancer took my dad on Monday. 

His last few days were horrible. He went downhill quickly. A few days earlier he was sitting downstairs, talking to visitors. The only saving grace is that his decline at the end was so rapid, it didn't draw out his suffering and indignity. 

We are all devastated of course. But at the same time his suffering is over, and by the end it was a relief of sorts that he was no longer in pain, no longer reduced, no longer relying on boxes and boxes of medication and feeding stuff. 

It hasn't really, fully hit me yet. It will. The whole family have been great, and we are rallying round my mum. 

I cannot think what else to add except to say, when you see fundraising efforts for McMillan and Strathcarron, stick a few quid in. The Strathcarron nurses were amazing. They all deserve more. The two who were with him at the end were there 2 hours after their shift finished. Not a word of complaint. Give em all a pay rise and much more. 

Very sorry for your loss

On 29/03/2023 at 21:00, scottsdad said:

Cancer took my dad on Monday. 

His last few days were horrible. He went downhill quickly. A few days earlier he was sitting downstairs, talking to visitors. The only saving grace is that his decline at the end was so rapid, it didn't draw out his suffering and indignity. 

We are all devastated of course. But at the same time his suffering is over, and by the end it was a relief of sorts that he was no longer in pain, no longer reduced, no longer relying on boxes and boxes of medication and feeding stuff. 

It hasn't really, fully hit me yet. It will. The whole family have been great, and we are rallying round my mum. 

I cannot think what else to add except to say, when you see fundraising efforts for McMillan and Strathcarron, stick a few quid in. The Strathcarron nurses were amazing. They all deserve more. The two who were with him at the end were there 2 hours after their shift finished. Not a word of complaint. Give em all a pay rise and much more. 

Right now, everything will be going a thousand miles an hour.  My dad passed nearly 8 years ago, and it feels like yesterday.  But in a weird way, somewhere down the line, you’ll look back on this time and the things that, in retrospect, gave you strength.  There’s a strange kind of beauty that’ll come out of all this.  Right now though, you’ll be spinning.  It’s completely natural to be glad that your dad’s suffering is over.  I distinctly remember feeling that way.

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

Right now, everything will be going a thousand miles an hour.  My dad passed nearly 8 years ago, and it feels like yesterday.  But in a weird way, somewhere down the line, you’ll look back on this time and the things that, in retrospect, gave you strength.  There’s a strange kind of beauty that’ll come out of all this.  Right now though, you’ll be spinning.  It’s completely natural to be glad that your dad’s suffering is over.  I distinctly remember feeling that way.

Cheers (and thanks to everyone who has been in touch). 

A lull at the moment. Everything has calmed down this week but will ramp up again next week for his funeral. I keep seeing things like books and TV shows and thinking "Dad will like that. I'll tell him at the weekend" That's when it comes back to me. 

19 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

A lull at the moment. Everything has calmed down this week but will ramp up again next week for his funeral. I keep seeing things like books and TV shows and thinking "Dad will like that. I'll tell him at the weekend" That's when it comes back to me. 

I’m really sorry about your dad. 

22 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

The change will happen slowly, and you’ll barely notice it. It’s important you realize that is ISN’T disrespectful to his memory to change from will like to would have liked in your thoughts of your dad, it’s normal.

30 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Our neighbour was in the other day, he's having a bit of bother with his throat (he had throat cancer) and is waiting on an appointment.

That's the one my dad had. Awful disease. Hope your neighbour recovers well. 

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

That's the one my dad had. Awful disease. Hope your neighbour recovers well. 

He was doing allright, let's hope it's not back.

I had 2 b-i-laws who contracted it, one died, one recovered.

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

While the science behind it is impressive this is overall a pretty depressing study

BBC News - Study reveals cancer’s ‘infinite’ ability to evolve
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-65252510

aye, i think its why chemotherapy tends to only have limited success as a treatment for some cancers.

more genetic screening for certain abnormalities (Lynch syndrome is the one I've read a wee bit about, just online articles tbh) would help but unfortunately it's probably not deemed cost effective enough.