Living with cancer (and madwullie memorial thread)

2 hours ago, philpy said:

I don't know if anyone on here has had or knows anyone with experiences regarding moles. I've had this bugger on my leg for years now, and the area around it has been sore. I've noticed a few black  spots, but the wife thinks the pain is just a "thigh strain". Would it do any harm to have it checked??

20230612_201343.jpg

The comments about “always get it checked are spot on. My insurance here allows a skin check every year, in to the Dermo, whip off the clothes and stand there while she scans the body. Found a few they lopped off and checked, two of which were considered pre-cancerous. Now I make it a point to get checked…easy ways to think about moles…

The first five letters of the alphabet are a guide to help you recognize the warning signs of melanoma.

A is for Asymmetry. Most melanomas are asymmetrical. If you draw a line through the middle of the lesion, the two halves don’t match, so it looks different from a round to oval and symmetrical common mole.

B is for Border. Melanoma borders tend to be uneven and may have scalloped or notched edges. Common moles tend to have smoother, more even borders.

C is for Color. Multiple colors are a warning sign. While benign moles are usually a single shade of brown, a melanoma may have different shades of brown, tan or black. As it grows, the colors red, white or blue may also appear.

D is for Diameter or Dark. While it’s ideal to detect a melanoma when it is small, it’s a warning sign if a lesion is the size of a pencil eraser (about 6 mm, or ¼ inch in diameter) or larger. Some experts say it is important to look for any lesion, no matter what size, that is darker than others. Rare, amelanotic melanomas are colorless.

E is for Evolving. Any change in size, shape, color or elevation of a spot on your skin, or any new symptom in it, such as bleeding, itching or crusting, may be a warning sign of melanoma.

If you notice these warning signs and symptoms, or see anything NEW, CHANGING or UNUSUAL on your skin see a dermatologist promptly.

• 1 month later...

Just got my 6 monthly PSA score in for prostate cancer, 0.9. Started at 145 in Jan 2020 and post chemo and hormone treatment it's been 3 point something ever since. I think that's proof that my alternative therapy of a daily bottle of wine and packet of fags is working. :thumsup2

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Just got my 6 monthly PSA score in for prostate cancer, 0.9. Started at 145 in Jan 2020 and post chemo and hormone treatment it's been 3 point something ever since. I think that's proof that my alternative therapy of a daily bottle of wine and packet of fags is working. :thumsup2

I was told if mine didn't go above 2, they'd be happy enough. Currently hovering around 0.03.

On 25/07/2023 at 14:14, Jacksgranda said:

I was told if mine didn't go above 2, they'd be happy enough. Currently hovering around 0.03.

Turns out I got mixed up with the numbers, my test before last was 0.3, this one was 0.9. They told me that they don't usually worry unless it goes over 4, but as a precaution they'll do another test in 3 months instead of 6 to see what's happening. It's normal for it to go up and down a bit..

52 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Turns out I got mixed up with the numbers, my test before last was 0.3, this one was 0.9. They told me that they don't usually worry unless it goes over 4, but as a precaution they'll do another test in 3 months instead of 6 to see what's happening. It's normal for it to go up and down a bit..

I'm sure it will be allright, but good that they're being proactive.

On 13/06/2023 at 13:49, philpy said:

Got it checked. 100% not cancer. Getting referred to the dermatologist.

Had my appointment this morning. They are removing it just to be safe. Now a case of getting the date organised.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My PSA is back to 0.5 after spiking up to 0.9 from 0.3. They said it's not a big worry until it hits 4 though, and considering it started at 145 I'm quite relaxed about it! Getting 3 monthly checks rather than 6 monthly now just to keep an eye on it. A side effect of the hormone treatment I'm on is a decrease in bone density and I'm pushing for a yearly 15 minute drip rather than a weekly tablet to counteract it. They want me on the tablets because they're cheaper and less hassle for them, but the tablet's a minor annoyance for me, you have to fast and not take any fluids for 6 hours before taking it, I'd much rather just have the annual procedure. The hormone treatment is just a 6 monthly jab in the bum, alternate cheeks..

I have clinic tomorrow. The worry of relapse gets worse the longer I stay in remission. I didn't get my results last time as they weren't back yet and I was told if they didn't call then nothing to worry about. Hopefully I get them tomorrow. The blood has to go down to England to be tested.

The change in cancer prognosis over the past 50 years is absolutely amazing. I recall attending school and when you heard cancer, it always seemed to be paired with terminal. Now, less so. In the 70’s the five year survival rate was below 49%, now it’s over 68%! I recall the fund raisers for Children’s Cancer Research, where leukaemia and the like seemed almost a death sentence, and now it’s a (relatively) less scary thing.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

The change in cancer prognosis over the past 50 years is absolutely amazing. I recall attending school and when you heard cancer, it always seemed to be paired with terminal. Now, less so. In the 70’s the five year survival rate was below 49%, now it’s over 68%! I recall the fund raisers for Children’s Cancer Research, where leukaemia and the like seemed almost a death sentence, and now it’s a (relatively) less scary thing.

My grandmother died of cancer 65 years ago this year (my mum was 6). The doctor at the time told my grandfather that they'd have a cure in 5 years.