Take the Knee or Stand Up.

velo army

17 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

I supported it initially as it was a great way of showing solidarity with the movement and it acheived its purpose of putting the topic racism at the forefront of peoples mind.

As time has went on it has become an empty gesture. The first few weeks everybody watched and appreciated that so many people were supporting it. Now when it happens its a case of "aw aye, they're doing that knee for racism thing" and nobody really thinks of it now. I certainly don't and that doesn't mean I am a racist. It's just not a powerful symbol anymore. 

As somebody has already said - Scotland didn't take the knee in March and on the whole people supported that. Now people are frothing at the fact that we aren't doing because England have quite a few racists supporting them. That's their problem to solve. Not the SFA or the Scotland team themselves. 

It has had it's time and we should move on. Racism can only be resolved through education and punishment of those found to be racist. Not choreographed pre-match routines. 

Surely the fact it's caused so much seethe the past week shows it's not an empty gesture and drives debate?

7 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Surely the fact it's caused so much seethe the past week shows it's not an empty gesture and drives debate?

That's certainly one unintended outcome of being a cement-headed troll.  Force it to be an issue in the public sphere.

When one side is every professional footballer and every 'sensible' pundit/commentator, and the rest is the likes of Kate Hooey*, Melanie Phillips* a failed actor turned London mayor candidate*, and the rest of gammon country, you know where you stand.

*to be clear I don't know where they stand on this issue, but it would be consistent with many other moronic positions they take.

2 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

131256439_ScreenShot2021-06-11at14_28_10.thumb.png.e8f849a2d3f9a57ee2f46c1b411d8b24.png

Further proof, if any was needed, that football players are not employed for their brains. We should be kneeling, full stop, and what I'm sure some PR guy thought was clever word play about standing against racism doesn't make that any less true.

great build up by Scotland when we should be focused on the football we have managed to get involved in a racism storm for no reason, lets hope thats the end of it but as we are still standing for some games lets see how the internet reacts as that seems to be who will be deciding if acceptable or not

8 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

great build up by Scotland when we should be focused on the football we have managed to get involved in a racism storm for no reason, lets hope thats the end of it but as we are still standing for some games lets see how the internet reacts as that seems to be who will be deciding if acceptable or not

Well there was silence for the other 5 games we played this year doing it... 

33 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

No, it is giving racists the spotlight and is only giving them encouraged. You can't debate with a racist when it is firmly engrained in their personality.

9 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

No, it is giving racists the spotlight and is only giving them encouraged. You can't debate with a racist when it is firmly engrained in their personality.

Well there's no point in doing anything is there? Racists can't be educated so let's just leave them to it.

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Well there's no point in doing anything is there? Racists can't be educated so let's just leave them to it.

In all honesty there is very little you can do apart from throwing the book at people.  Eradication of racism isn't going to be achieved by kneeling on the grass for a few seconds no matter how well-meant the sentiment is. I wish, like most people on here, that it did have an effect but it just doesn't do anything.  

If I'm wrong then show me because I'd love to be but I'm just honestly explaining what I've seen over the last year.

Just now, latapythelegend said:

In all honesty there is very little you can do apart from throwing the book at people.  Eradication of racism isn't going to be achieved by kneeling on the grass for a few seconds no matter how well-meant the sentiment is. I wish, like most people on here, that it did have an effect but it just doesn't do anything.  

If I'm wrong then show me because I'd love to be but I'm just honestly explaining what I've seen over the last year.

It's perhaps not about educating the current racists but educating the next generation.

4 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Quite clearly this gesture, however transient, really really upsets the racists. They don't want to be forced to think about racism, they'd rather everyone just left them to their prejudices. The garbage about kneeling 'representing Marxism' is a good example. They aren't willing to stand up and say "I'm a racist, there's nothing wrong with that", so they need to manufacture another reason to cover their opposition to explicitly anti-racist demonstrations. So I'm in favour of continuing it indefinitely. Preferably during the national anthems.

2 hours ago, the snudge said:

I don't think racists give a shit if someone is kneeling or not. Racists are going to be racist because they've not been educated enough to know the difference.

I agree with the sentiment, obviously, but I think its lost its meaning. There needs to be tougher sanctions against the guilty parties.

I think racism has very little to do with education tbh. Plenty of well-educated racists out there. Eton and Oxbridge produce loads of them.

I don't understand the argument that kneeling has lost its meaning. Those who hate it are trying to pretend it's about something else, but I don't understand in what way the meaning has changed.

58 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Maybe it's time to put racists in the spotlight?

41 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Relevant to the first quoted tweet above too - tougher sanctions has been the British way against racism. It has been effective in driving it underground, but the experts in this stuff say it hasn't reduced the number of racist people or the silent discrimination. I've heard a few people say it's better to drag it out into the open, call it what it is and force people to confront it. That's what seems to have been happening in the US.

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I think racism has very little to do with education tbh. Plenty of well-educated racists out there. Eton and Oxbridge produce loads of them.

I don't understand the argument that kneeling has lost its meaning. Those who hate it are trying to pretend it's about something else, but I don't understand in what way the meaning has changed.

Maybe it's time to put racists in the spotlight?

Relevant to the first quoted tweet above too - tougher sanctions has been the British way against racism. It has been effective in driving it underground, but the experts in this stuff say it hasn't reduced the number of racist people or the silent discrimination. I've heard a few people say it's better to drag it out into the open, call it what it is and force people to confront it. That's what seems to have been happening in the U

In what way has it been dragged into the open though? Taking the knee isn't really doing it. Literally nothing has happened in the UK within the last year to really address the issue. Everybody tiptoes around the issue with gestures.

To drag it into the open you need to physically confront racists face to face.  This country is quite frankly too soft to do that.