G'Day! Ange's Gap Year Celtic Euro Backpacking Tour 2021/22.

9 hours ago, AJF said:

It's not successful in Europe, which is the point you are ignoring.

Walter Smith played some of the most eye-bleeding football I can remember in his second spell in charge at Rangers but it got us to a European final as a result. To suggest that you'd turn your nose up at that because the football wouldn't be played the "Celtic Way" is ridiculous.

You do realise who you’re arguing with?

5 minutes ago, Luddite said:

They keep that money in the bank? They don't spend it on the first team? So if we compared the wage bill of St. Mirren and Celtic they'd be roughly the same?

Celtic live within our means the same as St Mirren do,it's a major concern why the dosh sits in the bank M8.

57 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

It’s a great question which I’d love the answer to myself however can only give you my own thoughts.

Firstly we seem to think we can play these teams the same way we play Ross County, aye we can pass the ball about but what we can’t do is concede 10 chances to lose 1 and make 10 to score 1. It’s just not viable we have to be much more direct and much more clinical, it’s why MON’s sides were successful. We were direct, physical and clinical. 

Secondly part of it is to do with our transfer model which is great if all you care about is winning the league and staying wealthier than anyone else in Scotland. We sign these prospects that we hope to develop to a Champions League level and sell them before they do for a profit. We rarely sign anyone already at it, an example of which was Fabian Rieder a really good player who already played Champions League and done well with YB but we wouldn’t pay the money and he went to Rennes for 15 million. 

Which are all points raised by multiple posters on this forum. So why can’t the Celtic coaching staff catch on?

I think Celtic being run as a money making exercise will carry on forever, and the board are unlikely to change their transfer policy. Which is unfortunate for your fans who actually want to progress and not just be happy being better than rangers. 

Just now, willywastecoat said:

Celtic live within our means the same as St Mirren do,it's a major concern why the dosh sits in the bank M8.

Living within your means...but Celtic PLC's "means" come from the millions in revenue generated from UEFA-branded greed and the squashing of domestic competitions and "diddy clubs" that the football club built their success off for the past 150 years?  

4 minutes ago, Luddite said:

Living within your means...but Celtic PLC's "means" come from the millions in revenue generated from UEFA-branded greed and the squashing of domestic competitions and "diddy clubs" that the football club built their success off for the past 150 years?  

Maybe we are arguing two different things here.  You may be right about playing staff and ambition and attacking play. I am talking more broadly about viewing Celtic as anything more than a business and attaching any sort of admirable "ideology" as naïve/wishful thinking (whether that claimed ideology is "we were formed as a charity for orphans, representative of the local, impoverished community" or "we are a progressive fan base accepting of all peoples and in full support of oppressed minority groups" or simply " we play football The Celtic Way ™️©️)

10 minutes ago, Luddite said:

Celtic made 31 million on player sales plus only spent 17 million replacing them.
The champions league dosh went into the bank M8.

18 minutes ago, willywastecoat said:

Celtic made 31 million on player sales plus only spent 17 million replacing them.
The champions league dosh went into the bank M8.

I hate to keep going back and forth on this, but it's playing in the Champions League that allows them to attract and pay the wages of the type of players they can sell on for 31 million, no?

"only spent 17 million replacing them" shows me you are willfully blind to the difference between your chosen corporation and St. Mirren football club. Did that money come from your Viaplay Cup revenue?

Even if the argument could be made that Celtic PLC are now  fiscally responsible, that wasn't the case I stated when Martin O'Neill was breaking the bank to topple Rangers in the early 2000's.   I may be misinformed here but didn't Rangers' demise allow Celtic a cushy situation where they could spend minimal outlay on players and still comfortably win the league ahead of diddy teams (and subsequently get some UEFA money every year).  Again, my main point is your club has become the embodiment of everything Margaret Thatcher wanted to turn football into and you have become your enemy.

Edited by Luddite

57 minutes ago, Luddite said:

They keep that money in the bank? They don't spend it on the first team? So if we compared the wage bill of St. Mirren and Celtic they'd be roughly the same?

Celtic fans like to pretend they still have some admirable ideology they hold fast to and are in denial that the corporate entity they blindly live vicariously through is just one more tentacle of Mammon sucking society dry of everything and anything that used to hold any true meaning or value.

Keep up the tifo's in support of oppressed minority groups lads (while wearing ugly, over-priced synthetic shite stitched together in Asian sweatshops)

Bravo!

1 minute ago, willywastecoat said:

It's technical M8.

I’m not being a p***k or snidey, I’m genuinely asking you to explain that to me. I’m assuming you might be alluding to the inflation of transfer prices/wages due to Saudi Arabia’s recent “sportswashing” program?

If you wouldn’t mind, can you join the dots for me so I can understand your argument?

13 minutes ago, Luddite said:

I’m not being a p***k or snidey, I’m genuinely asking you to explain that to me. I’m assuming you might be alluding to the inflation of transfer prices/wages due to Saudi Arabia’s recent “sportswashing” program?

If you wouldn’t mind, can you join the dots for me so I can understand your argument?

Celtic sold Jota for 25 million then he was deemed surplus to requirements M8.

16 minutes ago, willywastecoat said:

Celtic sold Jota for 25 million then he was deemed surplus to requirements M8.

Okay. I’m not really following your thread , I’m sure it’s there but your reply is a bit vague. That being said, I’m just finishing work, low on caffeine, mentally tapped out.

I do know St. Mirren aren’t selling players for £25M Saudis or not.

Maybe it’ll come to me in the night. Cheers

Edited by Luddite

3 minutes ago, Luddite said:

Okay. I’m not really following your thread , I’m sure it’s there but your reply is a bit vague. That being said, I’m just finishing work, low on caffeine, mentally tapped out.

Maybe it’ll come to me in the night. Cheers

Explaining technicalities to a luddite allways has it's problems M8.