G'Day! Ange's Gap Year Celtic Euro Backpacking Tour 2021/22.

Just now, Molotov said:

Ok take the Stein out of “your” equation. 
Alex Ferguson achieved far more than Jim Mclean with Aberdeen domestically and in Europe with both playing in stadiums with same size and without massive expenditure. He bought and sold very well in the transfer market at Aberdeen.

Yes, a bigger club though, who had won trophies before he got there.  

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I know all this.

Stein had something, but what McLean brought a club from and to was remarkable.  

As you concede, he did win a couple of Cups and came close often enough in the Scottish Cup.  Winning the title was a tremendous achievement.  They also did well in Europe.

Doing what Stein did with Celtic was impressive but conceivable.  What McLean managed scarcely was.

This 👍

Just now, Molotov said:

Dearie me. 

If you are honestly saying that Jim McLean is the greatest ever Scottish manager you need to give yourself a wee shake. 

Aberdeen's crowds were always significantly bigger during the relevant years too.

I think the McLean profile is closest to Clough's.

What he managed with two clubs was ridiculous really.

I think it's almost impossible to consider what people did with very big clubs alongside it.

27 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Dearie me. 

If you are honestly saying that Jim McLean is the greatest ever Scottish manager you need to give yourself a wee shake. 

I honestly, 100% think Jim Mclean is the greatest ever British manager.  I'm not saying he won the most trophies, had the biggest profile or was the most famous, but I think he managed  his resources better than either Stein or Ferguson....though I could possibly be convinced that Fergie's accomplishments at Aberdeen were more impressive, but not his Man Utd career. 

Edited by Luddite

Just now, Luddite said:

I can't speak for @Monkey Tennis but I don't think either of us are disrespecting Stein or Fergie, or  trying to claim that what they did wasn't impressive.  I am just of the opinion that what Jim McLean accomplished is MORE impressive.

I'm disrespecting Stein a bit, just for the Hell of it.

16 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Ok take the Stein out of “your” equation. 
Alex Ferguson achieved far more than Jim Mclean with Aberdeen domestically and in Europe with both playing in stadiums with same size and without massive expenditure. He bought and sold very well in the transfer market at Aberdeen.

I think you are discounting where Dundee United were when McLean took over. They weren't even the biggest club in their tiny city.

26 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Ferguson has the edge over him, albeit with a bigger club.

Any kind of Stein comparison breaks down though.   There is nothing remarkable about Celtic winning lots of trophies. 

It's a shame he didn't stay at Leeds for longer.  It might have given us a better chance of assessing his worth, in the way we got to with Lennon, Smith and Rodgers.

You think Jock Stein being the only manager to have won a quadruple including the European Cup isn’t remarkable? Ok mate 🤣

4 minutes ago, Luddite said:

I think you are discounting where Dundee United were when McLean took over. They weren't even the biggest club in their tiny city.

I always wondered what would have happened if Alex Ferguson had never become St Mirren manager. 

Going further back I wonder how St Mirren would have fared if Abercorn had not gone out of business.

Abercorn were one of the founding members of the Scottish League. 

If your auntie had baws. 😂 

Just now, Molotov said:

I always wondered what would have happened if Alex Ferguson had never become St Mirren manager. 

Going further back I wonder how St Mirren would have fared if Abercorn had not gone out of business.

That's not remotely relevant.

The post you responded to wasn't dealing in hypotheticals.

3 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I'm confused by your response. I don't really know how to reply to it.

9 minutes ago, Luddite said:

I'm confused by your response. I don't really know how to reply to it.

I’m confused by you and your pals inability to see that Jim McLean is not in the same ballpark when it comes to domination domestically and success in Europe by Stein and Ferguson. 

The facts simply don’t lie. Stop coming up with excuses like a “tiny city” club. 

Gretna achieved more than QOTS.

Does that mean we should knight Rowan Alexander?

8 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I’m confused by you and your pals inability to see that Jim McLean is not in the same ballpark when it comes to domination domestically and success in Europe by Stein and Ferguson. 

The facts simply don’t lie. Stop coming up with excuses like a “tiny city” club. 

What a daft attempt at a parallel.

Gretna were artificially, obscenely and stupidly bankrolled.  

You're coming out with some terribly silly stuff now.

14 minutes ago, Molotov said:

1/ Its an opinion

2/ The question I’m asking is not “what did they achieve?” but “What did they achieve relative to the resources available to them”

3/ I think either your reading comprehension skills are lacking or you are so emotionally involved you are intentionally misreading my responses.

Edited by Luddite

9 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Gretna were artificially, obscenely and stupidly bankrolled.  

Duh!🙄 You don’t say. 

10 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You're coming out with some terribly silly stuff now.

I’m only responding to all the shite you have posted.