Euro 2020 Final - England vs Italy

smpar

I don’t know seeing as I was 2 when it happened, but what was the intention behind the joke of ‘blacking up and sticking a pineapple on his head’? 
Out was to laugh at the guy with the funny hairstyle. The discussion regarding ethnicity and hair is even more recent than that of blackface. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find folk in the early 2000s making jokes about hairstyles and out not being brought up as offensive.
Racism is not a modern standard.   Bernard Manning is no more abhorrent now than he was then.   
Manning continue to tell racist jokes when it was quite clear that society had moved past that. In the 70s he was not regarded as a racist comedian - as that was pretty much standard material for every comedian in Britain.

But by the late 80s and 90s it was clear there had been a shift. Racist jokes were being challenged and the discussion had moved on. Manning kept going with his routine.

I would condemn him and anyone who went to see him in the 90s as being racist - but i wouldn't say the same for anyone who went to see him in the 70s.

Ah well we agree on that at least. I don't think he should be cancelled either, despite being a pretty obnoxious guy. He has acknowledged the sketches were racist and apologized (although not speaking to Lee himself is hilariously cowardly imo, given how personal it was).
My point was in response to your reaction, 
As a viewer it was clear to me that they weren't making some sort of racist joke.
Well sorry you were wrong to think that. Lee (and I'm sure many other people effected) felt it was racist at the time, the comedians have admitted to it being racist and apologized for it. The intention behind the joke does really matter, you're right. But the intention was to mock and deride a man, in a massive part using his race to do so. That's a pretty clearly racist thing to do, whether attitudes to blackface were a bit different at that time or not. 
Did you see the joke in question at the time?

2 minutes ago, Binos said:

So homophobia doesn't exist now 

It does, but it’s not given credence in mainstream media. Transphobia is, which is disappointing, but again, I’m fairly hopeful in 25 years from now that won’t be the case either. 

Hungary have to play behind closed gates for the next 3 home games, I'd expect England to get more, given reports on the treatment Italian fans got and a load of ticketless fans barging into the VIP seating.
Did the Italian fans have stuff chucked at them in the stands? I missed that, but i see it's part of the charge sheet.

Hopefully they get hammered.

2 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

YYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

^Your reaction when your 500th alias account slips through the PnB defence system.

Why does that matter? Does it help provide further important context? 
You're judging something in history by today's standards. Context matters.

Nowadays we understand that the joke was racist - but that's only because we're looking at it through a modern, more educated lense.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

Did the Italian fans have stuff chucked at them in the stands? I missed that, but i see it's part of the charge sheet.

Hopefully they get hammered.

Unconfirmed reports of some of them getting systematically battered as they exited the ground. Loads more stuff in the city centre earlier.

I wouldn't be surprised if England are forced to play some games behind closed doors.  By all reports, the police presence and security was woefully inadequate for an event of this magnitude (and kick off time).  Add in that they already had prior charges (the laser pointer incident) in the previous game so I would hope UEFA comes down on the FA

Just now, welshbairn said:

Unconfirmed reports of some of them getting systematically battered as they exited the ground. Loads more stuff in the city centre earlier.

There were also reports of some of the ticketless fans getting into the Italy end before kick off and starting trouble

Just now, pandarilla said:

You're judging something in history by today's standards. Context matters.

Nowadays we understand that the joke was racist - but that's only because we're looking at it through a modern, more educated lense.

Right, so we agree it was racist. Glad we finally got there. 

11 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Out was to laugh at the guy with the funny hairstyle. The discussion regarding ethnicity and hair is even more recent than that of blackface. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find folk in the early 2000s making jokes about hairstyles and out not being brought up as offensive.

Why did he need blackface to laugh at Jason Lee’s hairstyle? 

4 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Why did he need blackface to laugh at Jason Lee’s hairstyle? 

Clearly the only way to solve this is to put Jason Lee in a time machine and give him his own 1996 show where he wears a Groucho Marx kit and shouts ‘Frenk! Frenk! Have you drank all my Manischewitz again you alcoholic putz’ with a Brummie comatose in pished breeks in the corner.

49 minutes ago, mizfit said:

UEFA has launched a disciplinary investigation into actions of fans in and around Wembley at the Euro 2020 final between England and Italy.

The Football Association has also been hit with four charges for the invasion of the field by an England supporter, throwing of objects by supporters, disturbance during the Italian national anthem and lighting of fireworks.

€500 fine incoming,