Scotland v Moldova

Josh Doig and Stephen Welsh have been called up to the u21 squad and so they won't make the full squad which also suggests Patterson and even Hickey (perhaps unlikely) will make the full squad.

Edited by 2426255

Honestly, I would not be surprised to see Ralston bumped into the squad ahead of plenty of other deserving players given he is playing for Celtic. He in no way deserves a call up. He was possibly the worst full back I have seen at Saints in last 10-15 years. If he was to get in ahead of Rooney it would be a crime. Equally, as much as he is a talent, how can you include Patterson? Has he played since he came on in the Euros? I like Patterson and he is the future, but he needs game time. 

I'm biased, but Clark, Kerr and Rooney must be close. All 3 have carried on the form from 2nd half of last season into this season. Gauld should get a nod too, but travel restrictions might kill that.

It would be good to see Ferguson in the squad too. 

I doubt Clarke will change just too much from the Euros, but for such key games, we cannot be playing guys who are no where near first team action. 

58 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Honestly, I would not be surprised to see Ralston bumped into the squad ahead of plenty of other deserving players given he is playing for Celtic. He in no way deserves a call up. He was possibly the worst full back I have seen at Saints in last 10-15 years. If he was to get in ahead of Rooney it would be a crime. Equally, as much as he is a talent, how can you include Patterson? Has he played since he came on in the Euros? I like Patterson and he is the future, but he needs game time. 

I'm biased, but Clark, Kerr and Rooney must be close. All 3 have carried on the form from 2nd half of last season into this season. Gauld should get a nod too, but travel restrictions might kill that.

It would be good to see Ferguson in the squad too. 

I doubt Clarke will change just too much from the Euros, but for such key games, we cannot be playing guys who are no where near first team action. 

This is just a Graeme Shinnie, David Bates or Jack Harper away from a full house.

18 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

St Johnstone fans back on the Clark for Scotland train again after wanting him punted about 2 month ago I see.

Dont think you'll find too many Saints fans saying Clark is best keeper in world etc, but is he better than the alternatives for Scotland? Yes. Better than Bain, Kelly and McCrorie.

1 minute ago, Theyellowbox said:

Dont think you'll find too many Saints fans saying Clark is best keeper in world etc, but is he better than the alternatives for Scotland? Yes. Better than Bain, Kelly and McCrorie.

He's not better than Kelly. Nowhere near it and I'm not a massive fan of Kelly either.

Zander Clark is having a decent wee purple spell but overall, he's a shite goalkeeper that doesn't get the basics right on a consistent enough basis to be anywhere near the Scotland squad. I think he falls into the same bracket as Bain who only has his caps due to playing for the OF.

15 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

He's not better than Kelly. Nowhere near it and I'm not a massive fan of Kelly either.

Zander Clark is having a decent wee purple spell but overall, he's a shite goalkeeper that doesn't get the basics right on a consistent enough basis to be anywhere near the Scotland squad. I think he falls into the same bracket as Bain who only has his caps due to playing for the OF.

Will have to agree to disagree. Kelly is decent, but Clark is better at the moment. If he is in a purple patch, then surely that is when you call him up. We are too often not selecting players on form. No point saying x player was good or y player will be good. Games are now, so get best current players in the squad.

18 months ago, I'd say you'd be right about Clark, but he is really consistent now. He has cut out the mistakes and really on form.

Don't get me wrong, as a Scotland fan, I wish we had better available  but we dont and he is definitely worthy of a spot. 

Ralston struck me as being a player with potential when he had his loan spell at  United. Understand he didn't do too well at St Johnstone but seems to be hitting form atm. 

Weigh up all that and I'm on the fence about calling him up, the alternative is SOD and Palmer remember. 

6 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Ralston struck me as being a player with potential when he had his loan spell at  United. Understand he didn't do too well at St Johnstone but seems to be hitting form atm. 

Weigh up all that and I'm on the fence about calling him up, the alternative is SOD and Palmer remember. 

I wouldn’t call him up

been great so far for us but we are still very early in the season and he’s only played a handful of games for us

If he’s still playing like this in a couple of months, then you might have a look at him for the squad.

Just not right now imo

Palmer's time is up, the alternatives are Patterson, who is much younger than Ralston and clearly has a much bigger future, Ramsey who is younger and has been no worse this season, and Rooney who has had a slightly shaky start to the season but has more of a track record than Ralston, albeit over a very short period of time.

I certainly wouldn't discount Ralston over the longer term.

Steve Clark will pick a squad as close to the one which he spent a month with in May/June. While O'Donnell and Patterson aren't making themselves a stick on to be selected it makes sense to call up players who already know what they're doing in terms of the game plan and who have developed good working relationships and so I do think O'Donnell and Patterson will be called up.

Scott Gemmill already indicated Calvin Ramsay will come into the u-19 squad and so we can discount him leaving Ralston and Rooney as more likely just replacements if either Patterson or O'Donnell are injured at this stage. Now O'Donnell has missed his last three games, but it would be a lot to lose all of his experience so I think O'Donnell will be called up. Patterson would have been put in the back to the the u21s surely if not selected for the full squad and so I think he'll also be selected leaving Ralston and/or Rooney on 'standby' in case either has to pull out.

Edited by 2426255

My squad:

Goalkeepers

Gordon, McLaughlin, Kelly

Defenders

O'Donnell, Patterson, McTominay, Souttar, Hanley, McKenna, Tierney, Cooper, Robertson, Taylor

Midfielders

Gilmour, McLean, McGregor, Fleck, McGinn, Armstrong, Turnbull

Forwards

Adams, Dykes, Fraser, Christie, Nisbet, Forrest

Pretty much what's expected, I think. I'm wondering if Armstrong will make it as he's not played in Southampton's first two games and has been really poor for Scotland recently.

11 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

My squad:

Goalkeepers

Gordon, McLaughlin, Kelly

Defenders

O'Donnell, Patterson, McTominay, Souttar, Hanley, McKenna, Tierney, Cooper, Robertson, Taylor

Midfielders

Gilmour, McLean, McGregor, Fleck, McGinn, Armstrong, Turnbull

Forwards

Adams, Dykes, Fraser, Christie, Nisbet, Forrest

Pretty much what's expected, I think. I'm wondering if Armstrong will make it as he's not played in Southampton's first two games and has been really poor for Scotland recently.

Souttar should be nowwhere near the squad.

Don't think Nisbet will make it. 

29 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

My squad:

..... Fleck....

Surely it's time to quietly get rid?  Especially as he's now stinking up the Championship instead of the Barclays.  He's done nothing for Scotland IMHO.