How many countries in the world have a footballer as their best ever male sportsman?

Don't discount Armenia's excellent tank biathlon team.

If we are counting chess as a sport then Tigran Petrosian should be Armenia's nominee as a world champion in a sport with very few world champions.
Petrosian was probably one of the greatest defensive chess players ever - reckoned by many to be one of the hardest players to beat - ultraconservative and patient, waiting for his more aggressive opponent to make a mistake.

On 23/07/2021 at 01:43, pandarilla said:

Just catching up with this thread and these horrific takes.

I love Hendry but ffs Murray is clearly ahead of him for this category. The type of sport has to be taken in as a factor.

Nah mate that's pish, Murray isn't even top 20 of all time in his sport. His sport is not a big sport. Hendry is top 2 ever at worst in his sport, which is a bigger sport than you seem to think. Check the viewing records for snooker WC final and Wimbledon you'll see what I mean.

Its laughable to claim a run of the mill half decent player is better than one of the very best of all time just caue you think his sport is slightly bigger. Utter shite. Hendry wipes the floor with Murray in this, and I'm a big Murray fan.

Just now, HalfCutNinja said:

Nah mate that's pish, Murray isn't even top 20 of all time in his sport. His sport is not a big sport. Hendry is top 2 ever at worst in his sport, which is a bigger sport than you seem to think. Check the viewing records for snooker WC final and Wimbledon you'll see what I mean.

Its laughable to claim a run of the mill half decent player is better than one of the very best of all time just caue you think his sport is slightly bigger. Utter shite. Hendry wipes the floor with Murray in this, and I'm a big Murray fan.

Tennis is a global sport 

Bradman is Australia's best sportsman by an absolute mile, I'd say. His average is so good compared to everyone else it's like as if Usain Bolt had ran the 100 metres three seconds fasted than the silver medalist. He also did it on generally uncovered pitches which were much more difficult to bat on than those of today. He ranks as the greatest cricketer ever and that's their biggest sport, so makes sense.
I'd lean towards Cahill as the best footballer. Schwarzer was a perfectly reasonable but unspectacular goalkeeper. Cahill was a brilliant player for a while, and talismanic for Australia, too. I always hated playing against him (not me, literally, I mean my team) which is usually a sign that he's annoyingly good.
Still, non-football landslide for Australia.
Aussie rules probably has a few as well - Gary Ablett Senior, Lance Franklin, Wayne Carey, Ted Whitten and Leigh Matthews are the players that stand out the most.

58 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Looking forward to Ukraine Shevchenko v Klitschko

The only argument there is Vitali or Wladimir (Wlad wins that btw). Lomachenko and Usyk would be a fairer question against Shevchenko.

51 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Is world’s strongest man a sport? Looking at the former soviet countries I could see an argument for Pudzianowski (Poland) and Savickas (Lithuania) 

Pudzi is a two sport athlete too.

Arvydas Sabonis would be the standout for Lithuania I'd say.

22 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

So is snooker. 

Countries of top 20 tennis players 

1 (SRB)
2     (RUS)
3     (ESP)
4     (GRE)
5     (GER)
6     (AUT)
7     (RUS)    
8     (ITA)
9     (SUI)
10     (CAN)    
11     (POL)
12     (ARG)
13     (ESP)
14     (ESP)
15     (CAN)
16     (NOR)
17     (AUS)
18     (CHI)
19     (FRA)
20      (BEL)

Countries of top 20 snooker players 

1.    England
2.    England
3.    England
4.    Australia
5.    England
6.    England
7.    Scotland
8.    China
9.    Scotland
10.    China
11.    Wales
12.    Northern Ireland
13.    England
14.    England
15.    England
16.    Scotland
17.    China
18.    Scotland    
19. Thailand 
20.    England

17 minutes ago, Binos said:

Countries of top 20 tennis players 

1 (SRB)
2     (RUS)
3     (ESP)
4     (GRE)
5     (GER)
6     (AUT)
7     (RUS)    
8     (ITA)
9     (SUI)
10     (CAN)    
11     (POL)
12     (ARG)
13     (ESP)
14     (ESP)
15     (CAN)
16     (NOR)
17     (AUS)
18     (CHI)
19     (FRA)
20      (BEL)

Countries of top 20 snooker players 

1.    England
2.    England
3.    England
4.    Australia
5.    England
6.    England
7.    Scotland
8.    China
9.    Scotland
10.    China
11.    Wales
12.    Northern Ireland
13.    England
14.    England
15.    England
16.    Scotland
17.    China
18.    Scotland    
19. Thailand 
20.    England

You make no point weasel-face

16 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

You make no point weasel-face

Nice patter 

Only responding as you're a Scotland fan

Murray is probably Uk's greatest ever sportsman

How he won anything against 3 of the greatest sportsman of all time in their prime is unbelievable 

Breaking 75 year Wimbledon and Davis cup hoodoo

And has crippled himself in process such was the level of effort put in to do so

Massive snooker fan and chuffed Hendry still ahead of osullivan, revolutionised game etc but it's silly to claim it's global 

Edited by Binos

7 minutes ago, Binos said:

Nice patter 

Only responding as you're a Scotland fan

Murray is probably Uk's greatest ever sportsman

How he won anything against 3 of the greatest sportsman of all time in their prime is unbelievable 

Breaking 75 year Wimbledon and Davis cup hoodoo

And has crippled himself in process such was the level of effort put in to do so

Massive snooker fan and chuffed Hendry still ahead of osullivan, revolutionised game etc but it's silly to claim it's global 

Absolute shite. Nick Faldo shits all over Murray. Murray isn't that good mate. Dalglish has a much better claim too. He was better at his sport than Murray is at his. He was best in the world, Murray wasn't. His sport is bigger. Do you think anyone will be talking about Murray in 40 or 50 years? Will they f**k, nobody will even have heard of him. But everyone knows Dalglish.