Rank the Goalkeepers

Just now, craigkillie said:

Gordon is comfortably in the top 2 and it's not even close. The ball isn't a different size and the goals aren't smaller in the lower leagues, his performances there can quite obviously be taken into account. Laughable to suggest that the likes of Stryjek and Kelly are anywhere near him.

While I agree that playing a division down makes little difference to a goalkeepers ability, I’m of the opinion that Gordon isn’t actually as good as people tend to think. He was rather poor prior to leaving Celtic and I think he has maybe been elevated a little due to the dross that have since joined them.

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

Losing Hladky, who was an excellent 'keeper, was a huge blow to us.

However, it speaks volumes for Alnwick's abilities, that Hladky has all but been forgotten about, as Alnwick is as good as, if not better than Hladky.

Over the past few years Lewis and McGregor stand out, although Lewis had some absolute howlers last year.

IMO Kelly, Siegrist and Alnwick are of a similar standard.

Gordon is a very good 'keeper, but since he was down with the diddies last season, we can wait and see how he performs against better quality of teams.

Lewis was brilliant, had the odd mistake in him each season. Last season was definitely the worst of his time here but if he regains his form I have him at either 2 or 3 in the league. He'd made a couple of brilliant saves already and we're three games in.

It's not just his saves that make him good. It's been years since I've seen an  Aberdeen keeper as comfortable as him when dealing with crosses, along with organising his defence.

33 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Gordon is comfortably in the top 2 and it's not even close. The ball isn't a different size and the goals aren't smaller in the lower leagues, his performances there can quite obviously be taken into account. Laughable to suggest that the likes of Stryjek and Kelly are anywhere near him.

Gordon was pretty poor at the end of his Celtic career. He was also prone to wiping out opposition attackers and getting away with it because he played for the best team in the country.

I tend to refer to him as Greegsy but I also use shagger to be fair. It’s not something I’d given too much thought to as it’s been something he’s been referred to for a long time. He was cleared regarding the sexual assault allegations so it’s not something that plays too heavily on my conscience.
That’s not to say I am playing down sexual assault whatsoever, just of the opinion if he has been cleared of wrong doing then why should it change anything?
Was he cleared or was it settled out of court? Genuinely don't know and I've heard both.

5 minutes ago, Empty It said:
56 minutes ago, AJF said:
I tend to refer to him as Greegsy but I also use shagger to be fair. It’s not something I’d given too much thought to as it’s been something he’s been referred to for a long time. He was cleared regarding the sexual assault allegations so it’s not something that plays too heavily on my conscience.
That’s not to say I am playing down sexual assault whatsoever, just of the opinion if he has been cleared of wrong doing then why should it change anything?

Was he cleared or was it settled out of court? Genuinely don't know and I've heard both.

As far as I remember he was cleared. Don't think it even got to trial due to insufficient evidence and it was thrown out by the Procurator Fiscal.

25 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Gordon was pretty poor at the end of his Celtic career. He was also prone to wiping out opposition attackers and getting away with it because he played for the best team in the country.

The spell where he had a couple of high profile fouls on forwards was nowhere near the end of his Celtic career - that was in 2016, and he didn't leave there until 2020.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The spell where he had a couple of high profile fouls on forwards was nowhere near the end of his Celtic career - that was in 2016, and he didn't leave there until 2020.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/long-celtic-keeper-craig-gordon-11202685

A high profile error from 2018 and an article from 2017 detailing his errors.

Not much from 2019 onwards for obvious reasons. I didn't say that he was fouling folk at the end of his career. Just that he was also prone to it (i.e crazy decisions).

I'm someone who had Gordon above McGregor in their peaks but Gordons form obviously dipped at Celtic. McGregor is comfortably the best keeper in the league by a distance.

Gordon was obviously asked to play as a sweeper keeper under Rodgers and it caused him issues.  We don't ask him to do that, we ask him to stick to what he does best and he's been frankly ridiculous since rejoining us. And I say that as someone who wasn't that keen to bring him back as I thought he was maybe spiralling as he got older based on some of his Celtic showings.

I reckon that Gordon will reclaim the Scotland jersey ahead of Marshall. He was back to being brilliant. He'll never be as good as he was pre-injuries which elevates McGregor ahead of him but he still runs him pretty damn close.

37 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Is it not a bit uncouth to then keep the name? 

The guys a fucking w**k anyway. Really bought into that sevco victim mentality upon his return, despite leaving them in the dirt when it suited. 

36 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

And as we know, such crimes are generally really easy to prove. 

I'm not exactly sure what you are expecting here. You first incorrectly asserted that he gained a nickname due to allegations of sexual assault. Now you'd like to see that nickname ditched even though it was in use before said allegations that were not proven?

I'm not going to get into a debate about how easy or not an allegation of sexual assault is to prove - the fact of the matter is he was not found guilty of anything and the nickname has no relation to the allegations whatsoever.

It seems like this is just a bit of manufacturing to get offended by something.

This'll be the last I comment on it.

Edited by AJF

Joe Hart is not (and never has been) good enough to be a world class goalkeeper. He's nowhere near the quality required to be an elite level player. 

But, objectively, he's miles ahead of anyone else in this league other than Gordon and McGregor. Anyone outside of Rangers or Hearts fans who says they wouldn't swap their goalkeeper for him is at it.

15 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

That said, if we are doing a shite c**t top trumps in that regard, Tomas Cerny's acting injured routine is the best I've ever seen. The Lionel Messi of timewasting.

I realise that the chats moved on, but just wanted to take the opportunity to mention how much I love Tam Cerny. The greatest practitioner of general shitehousery that has ever lived.

Once got a penalty for Motherwell (I’m pretty certain) overturned just by shouting at the referee until he changed his mind. Absolutely iconic. 

Cerny had me completely heads gone every time we played against them.

Slowly walk to collect ball. Place ball down. Kick studs against post. Pick up ball. Put ball back down. Kick studs against post. Pick up towel and wipe gloves. Place towel down. Kick studs against post. Take deep breath. Shout at someone and point. Take deep breath. Kick studs against post. Kick ball straight out for a throw in.

Didn't matter what the score was or how long of the game was left. Every fucking time.

United, Motherwell, StMirren, Hearts fans will all say the same. Wouldn't swap their keeper for most others in the league.

That being said Alnwick has been absolute class for us. Can see him signing for someone like Aberdeen next season and being their no1 for the next 5 years.