The Horrific Saga of Chris Chan

Anyone else fallen down this rabbit hole? I’d been aware of this person through the Down The Rabbit Hole video, and this week the story took its most awful turn.

For those not familiar, Christian “Chris Chan” Weston Chandler is a high-functioning autistic boy who gained a measure of (negative) internet fame in about 2008 for his weird behaviour (particularly his obsession with finding a girlfriend and having sex) and hand-drawn comic books.

He attracted some of the most horrific bullying I’ve ever seen anyone subjected to online, by absolute scumbags who evidently saw a guy with the mental age of a child and took the opportunity to harass him nonstop.

Amongst other things, he was convinced by a thirteen-year-old boy posing as a woman into thinking he had a shot at a relationship. Said boy then blackmailed Chris into breaking his homemade sonic medallion up and shoving the pieces up his backside (all filmed). Others convinced him to go out in the snow and stick his penis in it, leaving it there for fifteen minutes (again, filmed). The bullies got his home phone number and began harassing him and his elderly parents, and calling to laugh at him on his birthday/the day of his aunt’s funeral, and to laugh at him crying over his dead dog. Otherwise, he consistently fell for fake women who got him to masturbate on camera and then posted the videos online.

Yet, despite the litany of cyber and sexual abuse, Chris still managed to consistently make things worse for himself, constantly rising to the bait and being homophobic and racist (probably the result of the extreme Christian beliefs he’d been indoctrinated with).

Fast forward and he began identifying as a woman in the mid-2010s and was, at the weekend, arrested for raping his 79-year-old mother - which he allegedly told one of his (fake) internet friends all about.

There’s a documentary with over 50 parts documenting this whole horrific story. I’m only partway through but it’s a real struggle (it’s genuinely harrowing to watch what “normal” people thought was funny to do to an autistic guy) and yet fascinating to watch what he became. Absolutely no one comes out of this well - it’s one of the weirdest modern tragedies I’ve ever come across - and it’s still unfolding.

The video is the Down the Rabbit Hole, which is an easier intro than the multi-part Geno doc (also on YouTube).

Yeah, I remember that guy from years ago. Hadn't heard any of the recent stuff.

The internet really does give you the impression that we're a horrific species that needs to be exterminated before we spread. Check out Encyclopaedia Dramatica, if they're still able to find hosts.

Remember, it's all just larks. Lol.

26 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Yeah, I remember that guy from years ago. Hadn't heard any of the recent stuff.

The internet really does give you the impression that we're a horrific species that needs to be exterminated before we spread. Check out Encyclopaedia Dramatica, if they're still able to find hosts.

Remember, it's all just larks. Lol.

Aye, I’d forgotten about him until the new allegations surfaced. I knew she identified as a woman now. I didn’t know that she’d attempted to perform her own gender reassignment surgery by slicing open her taint. (It apparently just got infected.)

It’s horrifying stuff, all of it. Watching the relatively wholesome early videos though, when it was just a childish young guy with no social skills trying to share his cartoons and get a girlfriend, it’s difficult to imagine how much the darker denizens of the internet did a number on him. The home life was pretty dysfunctional too, with the parents hoarders who basically lived a house so full of clutter that the backdoor couldn’t even be used.

(None of this obviously justifies what Chandler is alleged to have done recently, but the whole sorry mess does go some way to explaining how they ended up living in a world of twisted fantasies totally divorced from social norms and realities.)

I have seen a few people I follow on Twitter refer to this story. Sounds absolutely horrible. Interestingly I’ve heard some people talk about him as the first shitposting troll job from the Chan world or the first that made it into more mainstream discussion.

6 minutes ago, Antlion said:

Aye, I’d forgotten about him until the new allegations surfaced. I knew she identified as a woman now. I didn’t know that she’d attempted to perform her own gender reassignment surgery by slicing open her taint. (It apparently just got infected.)

It’s horrifying stuff, all of it. Watching the relatively wholesome early videos though, when it was just a childish young guy with no social skills trying to share his cartoons and get a girlfriend, it’s difficult to imagine how much the darker denizens of the internet did a number on him. The home life was pretty dysfunctional too, with the parents hoarders who basically lived a house so full of clutter that the backdoor couldn’t even be used.

(None of this obviously justifies what Chandler is alleged to have done recently, but the whole sorry mess does go some way to explaining how they ended up living in a world of twisted fantasies totally divorced from social norms and realities.)

Neither did I, and that's given me the incentive not to find out more.

These stories are legion. YouTube recently decided to AutoPlay me (my fault for not changing videos, I know) some "investigative" thing about a YouTuber who had been a pretty successful game streamer, and ended up having live nervous breakdowns online in front of his audience, who sent him more money as he became more unstable because it was entertaining.

It's difficult to argue for the inherent goodness of people.

26 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I have seen a few people I follow on Twitter refer to this story. Sounds absolutely horrible. Interestingly I’ve heard some people talk about him as the first shitposting troll job from the Chan world or the first that made it into more mainstream discussion.

I’d have thought she’d have a defence in that she clearly has severe mental health issues. In addition to the autism, she’s shown what looks like paranoid schizophrenia, too - but that’s pretty much complicated by the fact that, in this case, there actually have been massive, orchestrated campaigns to harass and victimise Chris. Even at her arrest, folk were crowded round streaming it. Of course, this is all happening in the US (and the south, to boot) so God knows what the treatment of people like her charged with a crime like this are.

23 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

If you can't  bully on the internet, where can you bully?

It’s the anonymity, I guess. Even the ones claiming they were trying to “help” Chris Chan (by the novel means of telling him what a waste of space he is and how he needs to stop watching cartoons and playing kids’ games and get a job) are reprehensible.

I’d have thought she’d have a defence in that she clearly has severe mental health issues. In addition to the autism, she’s shown what looks like paranoid schizophrenia, too - but that’s pretty much complicated by the fact that, in this case, there actually have been massive, orchestrated campaigns to harass and victimise Chris. Even at her arrest, folk were crowded round streaming it. Of course, this is all happening in the US (and the south, to boot) so God knows what the treatment of people like her charged with a crime like this are.

Well I’m sure that someone with Chans complicated issues and mental,health problems will get the help they need serving a sentence for incestual rape in the US prison system.

I remember the stories from back in the early days of 4chan.

Some of the shit they put him and Jessi Slaughter through over the years was horrific. Unfortunately when people who are mentally ill or mentally disabled meet these internet message boards without moderation and the veil of anonymity, the worst in folk can come out.

I'm not saying that Chris Chan or Jessi Slaughter are good people who wouldn't have found some other outlet for the undoubtedly shite things they did, but the trolling they received online and then their relentless pursuit to be accepted by trolls by any means necessary definitely fucked them up even further.

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I remember the stories from back in the early days of 4chan.

Some of the shit they put him and Jessi Slaughter through over the years was horrific. Unfortunately when people who are mentally ill or mentally disabled meet these internet message boards without moderation and the veil of anonymity, the worst in folk can come out.

I'm not saying that Chris Chan or Jessi Slaughter are good people who wouldn't have found some other outlet for the undoubtedly shite things they did, but the trolling they received online and then their relentless pursuit to be accepted by trolls by any means necessary definitely fucked them up even further.

100% agree with this. It’s the inability that Chandler had to walk away (despite his da’s insistence that he would cut down the internet) that is so sad. From the documentary I’m watching, Chris thought these people were his friends. He’d patiently answer their calls and listen to their abuse, apologising himself along the way. When some rat kid called him up to call him a “fat f**k”, he even wished the little monster a merry Christmas (just to get “yeah, merry Christmas, fatty fat fat fat” in return). At no point did his parents seem to think of involving the police or even changing their number, despite being aware of this bullying and harassment (and on the receiving end themselves sometimes). My heart really broke for the guy, despite knowing what he’s accused of now, when his beloved dug died and it spurred these internet cretins to call him up and laugh about him having to bury the dog and move the doghouse.

As a result of this, I currently fucking hate people.