Career comparison - Adam vs McCarthy

Hope nobody has missed me too much up here.

I wasn’t really too sure if I should make this topic or if I should put it in Misc Football but seeing as both players play for Premiership clubs now let’s just go for it.

Last week before the Celtic vs Dundee game I was looking in the match thread and I think I saw a reference to a Dundee fan saying they would rather have Charlie Adam than James McCarthy. Don’t quote me on that because I can’t be bothered to go back and check.

Anyway it got me thinking about which one of these two players has had the better career so far and even though they play for clubs at totally different ends of the same league now I couldn’t quite decide which player had the best record. I think it’s a fair question to ask based on the fact that they play very similar positions although are different types of player.

So is it:

Adam : Started at oldco I’m guessing winning a league or two. Fell out of favour a bit before reviving his career at Blackpool and winning a big money move to Liverpool that didn’t work out and then onto Stoke where he established himself as a good Premiership squad player. Back up the road to help get his boyhood club promoted. Limited international caps.

McCarthy: Showed amazing promise as a youngster and got the move to Wigan who were roughly at the same level of Blackpool at the time. Did well there but never quite got himself to the level people thought he would. Went to the smaller Merseyside club but did a bit better than Adam did at Liverpool but a bit injury prone. Played in the EPL consistently with Palace but as a squad player similar to Adam at Stoke. Decent number of caps although not for his own country.

17 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Has Mccarthy not been playing in the EPL over a decade? Adam was great to watch at times but he spent a while getting to the EPL then peaked in his very first season there imo. Good to have them both back in the scottish top league though.

Quick look at Wiki and it says he made his debut for Wigan in August 2009 

Played 12 seasons in the EPL with 272 appearances 

Adam is a much bigger name than McCarthy but both had similar stints in the Prem. Adam's peak was bigger than McCarthy's but McCarthy's peak lasted longer.

McCarthy has 5 year on Adam (who could still be a lower Championship player or at Blackpool at the very least) wonder how much more McCarthy has left in the tank.

Certainly closer than I initially thought.

Hope nobody has missed me too much up here.
I wasn’t really too sure if I should make this topic or if I should put it in Misc Football but seeing as both players play for Premiership clubs now let’s just go for it.
Last week before the Celtic vs Dundee game I was looking in the match thread and I think I saw a reference to a Dundee fan saying they would rather have Charlie Adam than James McCarthy. Don’t quote me on that because I can’t be bothered to go back and check.
Anyway it got me thinking about which one of these two players has had the better career so far and even though they play for clubs at totally different ends of the same league now I couldn’t quite decide which player had the best record. I think it’s a fair question to ask based on the fact that they play very similar positions although are different types of player.
So is it:
Adam : Started at oldco I’m guessing winning a league or two. Fell out of favour a bit before reviving his career at Blackpool and winning a big money move to Liverpool that didn’t work out and then onto Stoke where he established himself as a good Premiership squad player. Back up the road to help get his boyhood club promoted. Limited international caps.
McCarthy: Showed amazing promise as a youngster and got the move to Wigan who were roughly at the same level of Blackpool at the time. Did well there but never quite got himself to the level people thought he would. Went to the smaller Merseyside club but did a bit better than Adam did at Liverpool but a bit injury prone. Played in the EPL consistently with Palace but as a squad player similar to Adam at Stoke. Decent number of caps although not for his own country.

Disappointing lack of mention for Adam’s double winning season at Saints as a youngster. He was great in that Saints team.

That being said he has stunk out the Premiership in the 2 games since his return. Looks past it when not afforded the time he needs on the ball.

5 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Disappointing lack of mention for Adam’s double winning season at Saints as a youngster. He was great in that Saints team.

That being said he has stunk out the Premiership in the 2 games since his return. Looks past it when not afforded the time he needs on the ball.

Still not taking being unable to beat 10 men well I see. Lovely stuff. 

10 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Steve Harvey Lol GIF by NBC

Still hurting over a draw man FFS.

I think Adam is a good footballer but lacked the physical mobility to make it to the very top but did get a  move to Liverpool where he played 28 games, it wasn't a vintage Liverpool but that is still an achievement. He was probably better suited to Blackpool or Stoke where he could be a big player in a middle to lower end EPL team, still a good level.

McCarthy probably had more potential and winning the FA cup with Wigan is a huge achievement. His first couple of years at Everton he was very highly thought of and injury definitely hindered his career.

I think they have both had successful careers and there isn't too much in it. I wouldn't argue strongly against anyone's opinion on this.