Afghanistan Crisis

8 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

The US drone strikes serve no military, strategic or tactical purpose. They don't degrade ISIS fighting capability and in fact are more likely to increase it. They are purely a political move to persuade Americans that something is being done. Killing people to boost domestic political popularity is indefensible.

I've read tons of accounts from people who live under drone patrols for my dissertation and it sounds nightmarish and inhumane. Anyone who knows what they do and the effect they have on civilian populations and still supports their use should be forced to swap their home with a family in Waziristan and let the US 'accidentally' bomb every family event they have.

Edited by NotThePars

9 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I've read tons of accounts from people who live under drone patrols for my dissertation and it sounds nightmarish and inhumane. Anyone who knows what they do and the effect they have on civilian populations and still supports their use should be forced to swap their home with a family in Waziristan and let the US 'accidentally' bomb every family event they have.

Easy now, Forfar play inKirkcaldy at the weekend

31 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Yep - I thought it was a mistake and checked a few similar devices and they are all coming in at around $150K.  They are pretty sizable though, bigger than I thought.

I might try and get the tender to have the drone contract, sure I could come up with something that cost less than that and trouser the rest of the price.

4 hours ago, Mr Waldo said:

Sometimes war is an intelligence and numbers game.  'Do we destroy this target and possibly kill an estimated ten innocents. Or leave the target alone and they'll possibly kill an estimated one hundred.' 

Spending millions on a sword/missle shows the US 'care' a bit.

EmYO9QyW4AAsSBc.png

The US hardly care about their own troops despite all they say. They really have a Gungho attitude. Profit before protection.

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Yep - I thought it was a mistake and checked a few similar devices and they are all coming in at around $150K.  They are pretty sizable though, bigger than I thought.

The whole defence procurement is a maze and over pricing common place. Offsetting helps feed the gravy train and is an amazing/shocking initiative.

Just now, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

The whole defence procurement is a maze and over pricing common place. Offsetting helps feed the gravy train and is an amazing/shocking initiative.

Yep.  I was watching an episode of Storage Wars (I know) and they were trying to sell some piece of military equipment - the price was on the box.  The "buyer" laughed and said that's the US Gov. price - it will be marked up by a factor of 3 or 4 or 10 or whatever they can get away with.  

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Have you got a link, I've been after some missiles for a while?

30 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Have you got a link, I've been after some missiles for a while?

International intelligence the real (CIA) say you're on the outskirts of Coatbridge?

Were all behind you

6 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

Seeing the footage of the aftermath of the drone strike, there's barely room to swing a cat between all the houses in those streets. You'd have to be an absolutely awful piece of shit of an excuse for a human being to even think about dropping explosives into an area like that. 

I mean, there must literally have been conversation before this happened where someone pointed this out and someone else said I don't give a f**k, do it anyway. Utter scum.

It's disgusting. We're also supposed to believe that the same US intelligence that couldn't forsee the collapse of the entire country's military and government is now able to accurately identify individual targets in a city that they've pulled out of. Just a pointless, murderous gesture to salve their pride.

I still haven't got over reading at the start of July that the Americans abandoned their main remaining base at Bagram in the middle of the night without informing the Afghan Army commander that they were going. The first the Afghans knew about it was when all the power went out and people broke in to start looting. With friends like that eh.

(Although it's no more humiliating than what the British army did in Basra)

6 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

A few ears ago I read about the US developing a non explosive kinetic only version of the hellfire, like a laser guided rocket powered spear, specifically to avoid this sort of thing. As you say inexcusable especially if they have these available. Maybe they stopped development, can't find anything more recent on it. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/secret-u-s-missile-aims-to-kill-only-terrorists-not-nearby-civilians-11557403411

I recall when the UK was debating whether or not to get more involved in Syria, there was lots of MoD propaganda being laundered through the BBC etc about our new 'precision' bombs, which presumably only murdered those at the top table when they hit a wedding party.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

This guy in Moray might have a few lying around.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-miscellaneous-goods/aircraft-/1411720068

Ah, Mr Aikenhead.

Purveyor of many an underage carry out over the years. Probably cost me half a liver before I was 18. 

On 18/08/2021 at 14:21, virginton said:

Gormless Gordon now claiming that all diplomatic options known to mankind were thoroughly exhausted by those peaceful great statesmen in, err, NATO and George W Bush's administration, in the 28 fucking days between the 9/11 attacks and the beginning of a war against Afghanistan. 

An absolute warmongering freak.

Reckon this deserves a bump given that this evening's public domain, BBC insider documentary on the US decision-making over 9/11 confirmed that noted Prince of Peace and Talleyrand of his age George W Bush already resolved 'f**k diplomacy: we're going to war' on, err, 9/15 (that's September 15th). 

Will future documents further slash that 'time for the Taliban to hand them over' below 96 hours? Almost certainly yes. The only thing genuinely restraining the US drive to war at the time was the capacity of the hamster in the wheel running Bush's brain.

A limitation that Gormless Gordon could also share his experience of on here, if he hadn't already been banned. 

Spoiler

065fa35e-80b5-4de2-ad54-43675ea2ef1e.thumb.jpg.d1f4c15393af6e65b536e1e897a4f46b.jpg